G

#382 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,302 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

Anyway, here are his comments, edited slightly just to keep things short and sweet.

The problem then became, does Revell do the first version as a sedan to satisfy the folks wanting a dead-on accurate sedan to do the McGriff car? Or a coupe with the possibility of dozens of spin-offs? The decision was finally made that Revell would take the heat to do the markings for one of the most famous American race cars with historic legacy. The other move was to provide Tom Coolidge (one of the most knowledgeable early Olds experts) with two of the first final test shots. I can tell you that Tom Coolidge does plan to do the resin sedan conversion as soon as he can lay his hands on a production '50 Olds kit.

I get updates from Tom via Fotki- he ususally posts stuff as he makes progress. I'd say just keep an eye on that link.

Kind of interesting that he only sold one of the Fastback 88 bodies when first made. I wonder if Tom plans to start an all new master instead of using the body he did a decade ago? I guess we'll wait and find out. ^_^

#383 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,857 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:56 AM

I don't know if this has been mentioned in this very lengthy thread, but I discovered in Len Carsner's On the Workbench build of the Buck Baker #87 race version that there's a typo on a couple of the decals.

The rear fender decals say LABOR DAY STEP. 4, whereas Len's 1:1 reference shows it should be SEPT. 4
Just a little knife work should fix that.

Edited by sjordan2, 31 October 2012 - 06:10 AM.

#384 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:12 AM

In the background is the new Revell '50 Olds 303 (the basic engine looks much like the 324, 371 and 394 built thru '63) with the AMT 3X2 manifold from the '40 Tudor (which fits the old Revell engine perfectly),*snip* The angle of the manifold faces on the heads is correct

Posted Image

I picked up a partial '39/'40 Tudor kit for the manifold yesterday, and if this is as close as we can come to a multi-carb intake manifold sourced from a kit, we have some work to do. It's not too bad, but it is soft on the details, especially around the mating flanges, and there are those three ejector pin marks to address, the incompletely molded water neck, and the misnumbered intake runners (#1 as #6!?), but it does appear to be a replica of the cast iron GM manifold:

Posted Image

The AMT '39/'40 Tudor Olds 3x2 intake manifold:

Posted Image

An Edelbrock aluminum 3x2 manifold for the J-2:

Posted Image

#385 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:18 AM

Yes, and the cast-iron manifold would be correct for a factory J2. Sorry about having to do some work on the manifold to make it prettier. I rather expect to have to do corrective work on most things, so I didn't mention it. The ejector pin marks on mine were nowhere as deep as your version, though I did have to fill them. I cleaned up some other details too, including filing the 3 mounting flanges separate and filling the bottom of the water neck. I also thinned the cylinder head mounting-flanges, as the one I'm doing represents an iron manifold. An alloy manifold would have thicker flanges. This manifold in 1:1 is partially held to the heads by bolts or studs / nuts and big washers between the heat-riser runners and the port runners. A very accurate engine model should portray this.

The AMT manifold DOES have the correct port-spacing, the correct water-crossover in front, and the correct angle on the head-mating surfaces.

If we're being very critical, the AMT manifold also suffers from the tooling malady caused by the people who made the tool not understanding the function of the part they're modeling. The odd octopus-sucker protuberances are apparently some mis-guided attempt to represent random bosses for accessory and hold-down hardware, and a heat-riser port.

Anyone using this manifold needs to pay attention to the correct orientation on the engine....the heat-riser portion of the manifold should be in the center of the heads, which may look odd at first glance, as it puts the water-crossover at the extreme front of the heads (and looks wrong but isn't).

#386 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

I get updates from Tom via Fotki- he ususally posts stuff as he makes progress. I'd say just keep an eye on that link.

Looks like the sedan body is done:

Posted Image

#387 Gramps2u

Gramps2u

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Hitchcock

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:47 AM

From what my  "Hobby town" connection told me, The new 50 olds  2nd production of kits is already spoken for "so to speak" and he told me If you find one you had better grab it while you can.  No telling when the 3rd production will hit the shelves as their  share is not promised.  Not that I am trying to start a panic but a heads up ...  If you see it & want it you know the drill.  

#388 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, BK.

As time elapses, I'll grab at least 2-3 more. One for Tom's sedan, another for the Holiday I believe one of the resin casters is working on, and one to try the fastback conversion with.

Charlie Larkin

#389 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,210 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

From what my  "Hobby town" connection told me, The new 50 olds  2nd production of kits is already spoken for "so to speak" and he told me If you find one you had better grab it while you can.  No telling when the 3rd production will hit the shelves as their  share is not promised.  Not that I am trying to start a panic but a heads up ...  If you see it & want it you know the drill.  

Try to order one from a central Michigan hobby shop- these kits seem to be gathering dust in my area. Not sure why- I bought two and it's a great little kit.

#390 Gramps2u

Gramps2u

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Hitchcock

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:27 AM

Thanks Chuck for the heads up!

#391 2000-cvpi

2000-cvpi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Full Name:Corey Sarenius

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

The local Hobby Lobby has ten or so of these kits. I have picked up two so far using the 40% off coupon. It's a great kit, even more so for the price of less than 15 dollars. The other local hobby shops have several at retail or above.

#392 kevjoh

kevjoh

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Have just heard from an after market supplier that Revell has offered replacement pad printed whitewall tires at no charge for the 50 Olds kit.

Just wondering if anybody else has heard anything about this, if so how would one go about getting them.

#393 rollinoldskoo

rollinoldskoo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Full Name:Gilbert Rodrigues

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

Could be they are thinking ahead to a Goodguys or California Wheels-type release in the future, and will tool up suspension pieces specific to those. Or (long shot) they're considering more '49-'52 GM vehicles, and are tooling parts that could be used on any GM vehicle of the period on their own sprues.

I agree with this post. A lot of their kits lately share parts with other kits. Those same suspension pieces could be used to make an all new 39-41 Chevy car kit or even a 'Tin Woody' Chevy or Olds wagon!!!

#394 Villain

Villain

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Full Name:Matt Fischer

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

anybody get replacment Whitewalls from Revell yet?

#395 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

anybody get replacment Whitewalls from Revell yet?

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=70849

#396 Villain

Villain

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Full Name:Matt Fischer

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

Thanks Casey. Sorry didn't see those posts

#397 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:59 AM

I've read through the thread and Casey's link...no pix. Does anyone know if the replacement pad-printed tires are the full-width WIDE whitewalls identical to the decal versions?

#398 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:06 AM

I've read through the thread and Casey's link...no pix. Does anyone know if the replacement pad-printed tires are the full-width WIDE whitewalls identical to the decal versions?

Looks like they are full/wide whites, Bill: http://www.modelcars...=76109&p=960371

#399 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:45 AM

Looks like they are full/wide whites, Bill: http://www.modelcars...=76109&p=960371

Thanks Casey. Much appreciated. Looks like I didn't search quite hard enough. :)

#400 thatz4u

thatz4u

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Full Name:Al Rich

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:53 AM

the white walls that came with my kit were off center or "chipped", Revell replaced them, no problem!!