#81 Rob McKee

Rob McKee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Full Name:Rob McKee

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

This is one amazing project you have on the go.

Great job!!

#82 rcdave

rcdave

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Phillips

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Any themes?...ie...Siminole, classic, etc...

Hotrod/Show Truck

#83 rcdave

rcdave

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

This is one amazing project you have on the go.

Great job!!

Thanks, here's an update.

#84 rcdave

rcdave

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

On my other builds I did the lights after paint but there are so many led's on this I thought it would be better to install and wire them first. I used 32 gauge wire and 2 types of led's, Osram micro side mount white and blue and 1.8mm diffused red, blue and yellow. The cab marker lights were the hardest to plan out and get right. I hollowed out the chrome housing for the 1.8mm yellow led that I sanded the corners off so it would fit. Then I colored it with an orange Sharpie so the color was right when it is turned on or off. I installed 3 micro slide switches to control the lights and a connector so I can plug into a power supply for display. There ended up being a total of 50 led's on the truck.

MicroPete1521024x768.jpg

MicroPete1541024x768.jpg

MicroPete1571024x768.jpg

MicroPete1591024x768.jpg

MicroPete1611024x768.jpg

MicroPete1631024x768.jpg

MicroPete1661024x768.jpg

MicroPete1691024x768.jpg

MicroPete1701024x768.jpg

MicroPete1711024x768.jpg

http://i67.photobuck...1721024x768.jpg

http://i67.photobuck...1731024x768.jpg

http://i67.photobuck...1761024x768.jpg

Edited by rcdave, 01 February 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#85 Rob McKee

Rob McKee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Full Name:Rob McKee

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

This just gets more and more interesting to watch.

#86 Thundercat

Thundercat

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Full Name:john matusiak

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

That is one great wiring job. Looks a lot better then mine. I really like the way you did the bullet lights. I'm using 5 fiber wires into one 5mm LED for mine.

#87 rcdave

rcdave

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

That is one great wiring job. Looks a lot better then mine. I really like the way you did the bullet lights. I'm using 5 fiber wires into one 5mm LED for mine.

That is what I planned to do but I thought this would be easier. How did the fiber optics work out? I was thinking of what to do with the fiber optics since I didn't use them and they might work good for interior trailer lights. Paint the optics and notch them where you want a light but I havn't tested it yet.

#88 rcdave

rcdave

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. you are giving so many ideas to do to my 359 and my w900 that my wife is going to hate me.. hmm if I buy just a little at a time she will not knotice.... hmmm with a Cheshire cat grin..

Thanks I'm glad I could inspire you. I.m not married.... hmmm with a Cheshire cat grin.

#89 Thundercat

Thundercat

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

That is what I planned to do but I thought this would be easier. How did the fiber optics work out? I was thinking of what to do with the fiber optics since I didn't use them and they might work good for interior trailer lights. Paint the optics and notch them where you want a light but I havn't tested it yet.

Got busy remodeling the basement, so it's just sitting on the drafting table unfinised. I got all five fiber optics in and 3 bullet lights.

#90 Bennyg

Bennyg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Glasby

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Wow. Keeps getting better.
Ben

#91 Kenny B

Kenny B

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Boychuk

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

This is just crazzzzyness....Keep it up.

Kenny B.

#92 Thundercat

Thundercat

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

I showed this build to a few of my friends on Earls site and it's blowing thier minds. Is it OK if I drag this link there for the rest of them to see or do you want to do it?

#93 rcdave

rcdave

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for the comments.

I showed this build to a few of my friends on Earls site and it's blowing thier minds. Is it OK if I drag this link there for the rest of them to see or do you want to do it?

I will post it in a day or 2. I don't like painting so I took a few days off.

#94 rcdave

rcdave

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Waiting on paint to dry so I can clearcoat it. I like the look of big 10" stacks so I got some 7/16" x .016" thin wall aluminum tube. I didn't think it could be bent without professional tools but I tried it anyway and it worked well. I packed the tube with sand and heated it with a propane torch, this is the tricky part. Then I put the tube in a handheld tube bender and carefully bent it. The 1st try the tube ripped when I was almost done, it needed more heat. The 3rd try I got it too hot and it was a little deformed but the 2nd and 4th turned out nice. The bends could be tighter but the are close enough. I know they are too long but I can't decide if I want angled cuts or straight cuts. Also needs to be polished.

MicroPete1811024x768_zpsaec4c339.jpg
MicroPete1821024x768_zpse2f6ad70.jpg
MicroPete1821024x768_zpse2f6ad70.jpg
MicroPete1841024x768_zps7dd6809f.jpg

#95 Thundercat

Thundercat

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Looks great. I think most people will agree, leave them the way they are.

#96 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Full Name:jesse corbett

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:16 AM

Holy Cow!  You should consider selling a bill of materials/kit so some of us could give this a try.  Absolutely amazing!  I would be real curious how many $ you wind up with in this thing just for future planning.  If I hit the lottery, I would like to try something like this with the 1/16 Monogram Peterbilt.  I remember when I was a kid (far too long ago)  I took a battery operated war tank drive out of a Tamiya kit and put in a 1/32 snap tite GMC General kit.  It was "front wheel drive" and had the batteries stuffed in the sleeper.  Ahhhh  memories.  FANTASTIC job.  Excellent use of the old brain.  

#97 rcdave

rcdave

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

Holy Cow!  You should consider selling a bill of materials/kit so some of us could give this a try.  Absolutely amazing!  I would be real curious how many $ you wind up with in this thing just for future planning.  If I hit the lottery, I would like to try something like this with the 1/16 Monogram Peterbilt.  I remember when I was a kid (far too long ago)  I took a battery operated war tank drive out of a Tamiya kit and put in a 1/32 snap tite GMC General kit.  It was "front wheel drive" and had the batteries stuffed in the sleeper.  Ahhhh  memories.  FANTASTIC job.  Excellent use of the old brain.  

I am keeping a list of all the parts and prices. Do you know Tamiya makes a 1/14 semi that is very popular with a tons of aftermarket parts.

Still working on paint but I finished the dash, I think. Looks better in person cause the camera shows all the little imperfections alot better. I put a blue LED behind the dash so the white gauges are backlit.

MicroPete2011024x768_zps3acc2bcb.jpg

MicroPete2021024x768_zps2fe36af9.jpg

Edited by rcdave, 13 February 2013 - 09:23 PM.

#98 truckabilly

truckabilly

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Full Name:Jaroslav Tulacek

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Nice dash! I wish I could see it glow in the dark. Great job on this one.

#99 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Poudrette

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Nice detailing! We can see the work that has gone into this, you see the "defects" more than we do! Nice!

#100 Thundercat

Thundercat

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Looking good, looking real good. Question. How are you going to paint the body now that you have some of the chrome on?