Lets see some "phantoms", cars that never ran or were submitted but never used for cup racing.....

• You cannot reply to this topic
40 replies to this topic

#21 Tommy Kortman

Tommy Kortman

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Full Name:Tommy

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

According to Smoky he never violated the rule book, he found omissions in the book and exploited them.

Smokey always said that you had to "race by what the rule book doesn't say. If the rule book doesn't specifically say that something is illegal, than I have to assume that it's legal." As a racer...those are words to live by. Smokey should be in the NASCAR HoF!

#22 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

S.Svendsen above isn't the only guy who built a Concorde a while back. I'm sure many of the guys on this website who also have read Scale Auto remember their 20th Anniversary contest where they bound a set of Slixx decals into an issue of the mag and you had to build a model around that theme. It didn't have to be a race car specifically - there were several magazine delivery trucks entered, for instance - but most entries were racers (I hope there's no backlash for posting photos bearing a competing magazine's name and logo!) . I built two for the contest, which meant buying a copy of the magazine at the LHS in addition to the subscription I had at the time (long since lapsed). My premise were two NASCAR entries from the same team, 20 years apart. In the present day, they campaigned a new Chrysler Concorde as seen directly below, but when the team (and the magazine) were just starting out, it was a year-old 1979 Monte Carlo in the Late Model Sportsman Series, as seen at the bottom of my post. The Concorde body is from the AMT "Slammers" "Street Heat" model, and the Monte Carlo's body is from an MPC 1979 Monte Carlo annual glue bomb. Sorry, but I just don't recall which chassis' I used for these builds. (I apologize for the poor quality images. They were taken about 8 years ago on a very early digital camera. My cell phone takes better pictures!):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 Honda446

Honda446

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin Harold

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:32 AM

I'm currently working on one of Car Kiekhaefer's Chrysler 300C "Road America" cars. the story is that he purchased 4 new 300C's to compete in NASCARs road race at Road America in July of 57. before he got the cars completely modified to 'race trim', the Road America race was cancelled. he put the cars back to street status, with him taking one of them to drive as his personal car and one of his staff taking one of the others. should be an interesting build. I'm getting info from the shop in Kansas that is restoring one of these "Road America" cars, the special order Gray one, for the owner. pretty cool stuff they did to them for racing that will be incorporated into my model.

Attached Files

Edited by Honda446, 09 July 2012 - 01:35 AM.

#24 Honda446

Honda446

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin Harold

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:34 AM

I built this "phantom" Adam Petty 1999 Chrysler Concord a while back while the Petty Teams were still running Pontiacs. I thought it would be neat to see the Petty name on a Mopar again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

looks much like a car that was on the cover of a magazine in 99 or 2000, depicting Mopars re-entry into NASCAR. pretty cool model!

#25 mikemopar70

mikemopar70

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Full Name:Michel Paquette

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

Hi!
Here's mine, it's a '85 or '86 Chevy Monte-Carlo from Monogram with Fred Cady decals.

Since it's never been raced, i don't know who was the designated driver at this time..

By the way, if someone can help me with that, because i've been told it was a phantom race car while i was building it.. so i left it aside a bit and never completed the decals on it.

I built it four years ago!

It's been built box stock, except for the engine wires, the paint is white automotive lacquer...

Mike...

Attached File  100_4494.JPG   96.08KB   14 downloads

Attached Files

#26 Scottnkat

Scottnkat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Garner

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

Here's my daughter's car. She likes old Chevys and she loves Richard Petty, so after she had started building this stock '64 Chevy Impala, she decided to decorate it as a tribute car. She's very proud of this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 bbowser

bbowser

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Bowser

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

She did an awesome job Scott. I can tell she's rightly proud of it. Hope she keeps her interest.

#28 Platerpants

Platerpants

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Full Name:Jake Bridges

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:58 AM

seeing the Mirada and Imperials that are under construction has got me excited again!

I've got the Little CeasarsLincoln MKIII and also the BoJangles Cougar from the 90's in resin, but those are still in the box waiting for some inspiration.

What other cars were propsed or built but never made it to Cup racing? I know a few cars were used once or twice, like the '69 GrandPrix and the early 70's Grand Am.

Model car pics or actual car pics are welcome in this thread.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I did build a phantom Torino "King Cobra"(R&D Resin body combined with Revell Promodel Torino and PolarLights Cyclone chassis), and started on the Daytona II (AMT 71 Charger with AMT Daytona add ons), Superbird II (MPC kit right out the box) and also the Mercury "Super Cyclone" (Unkown resin with addition of scraps such as the hood from Datsun280zx).

the mpc 71 roadrunner how badly off is the angling of the nose cone compared to a 70 superbird nose cone?

#29 vypurr59

vypurr59

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Shorter

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

Hi!
Here's mine, it's a '85 or '86 Chevy Monte-Carlo from Monogram with Fred Cady decals.

Since it's never been raced, i don't know who was the designated driver at this time..

By the way, if someone can help me with that, because i've been told it was a phantom race car while i was building it.. so i left it aside a bit and never completed the decals on it.

I built it four years ago!

It's been built box stock, except for the engine wires, the paint is white automotive lacquer...

Mike...

Attached File  100_4494.JPG   96.08KB   14 downloads

I believe that it was Harry Gant that had the number 88

#30 sebivens

sebivens

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Bivens

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

Geoff Bodine drove #88 in 1983, Rusty Wallace in 1984.
Buddy Baker drove #88 in 1985-1988.
I dont think any of them was the Gatorade colors of your pic. Those was in the late 70's early 80's. Darrell Waltrip and Bobby Allison made those colors famous. Ricky Rudd was one of the last to drive those colors for Digard.
Hary Gant drove the Green and White #33 Skoal Bandit.

So yes your car I would call a phantom....

#31 mikemopar70

mikemopar70

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Full Name:Michel Paquette

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

Geoff Bodine drove #88 in 1983, Rusty Wallace in 1984.
Buddy Baker drove #88 in 1985-1988.
I dont think any of them was the Gatorade colors of your pic. Those was in the late 70's early 80's. Darrell Waltrip and Bobby Allison made those colors famous. Ricky Rudd was one of the last to drive those colors for Digard.
Hary Gant drove the Green and White #33 Skoal Bandit.

So yes your car I would call a phantom....

Thank's for reply!

I remeber, when i built it few years back, i saw this car on the Fred Cady decal reference sheet, but couldn't see the driver...

Not that bad, i like the look of the Carlo with these decals!

I may opt for Buddy Baker!!

#32 fredo84

fredo84

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Full Name:Fred

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

Hello Brian !
Do you or does any more picture of this car are available ?
Thanks !
Attached File  YUNICKchevelle.jpg   35.66KB   10 downloadsAttached File  YUNICKchevelle.jpg   35.66KB   10 downloads

#33 fredo84

fredo84

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Full Name:Fred

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:10 AM

Ok guys i found more picture of the Smokey chevelle i pass the like if someone like me is interested.......
For my point of view i found this Chevelle very Sexy ! ;)
Here ya go ... enjoy !

http://www.canepacol...ed-5117058.html

#34 Scottnkat

Scottnkat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

Okay, my nine-year old daughter designed and built this one.  She imagined that she was driving for RPM and got to drive the #43 car (that's her favorite number and Richard Petty is her favorite driver).  She figured that she likes cartoons, so she used a Cartoon Network decal sheet.  It's pink because she's a girl, but she wanted the blue on the wheels because it's a Petty car.  She picked a Ford Thunderbird because, "Dad, Richard Petty Motorsports drives Ford... Duh!" 

DSCN1924a.jpg

DSCN1926a.jpg

DSCN1927a.jpg

Edited by Scottnkat, 08 December 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#35 Dave Darby

Dave Darby

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Full Name:Dave

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

Dunno, but I want to see that Charger and that Superbird done.

#36 bbowser

bbowser

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Bowser

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Okay, my nine-year old daughter designed this one.  She imagined that she was driving for RPM and got to drive the #43 car (that's her favorite number and Richard Petty is her favorite driver).  She figured that she likes cartoons, so she used a Cartoon Network decal sheet.  It's pink because she's a girl, but she wanted the blue on the wheels because it's a Petty car.  She picked a Ford Thunderbird because, "Dad, Richard Petty Motorsports drives Ford... Duh!" 

DSCN1924a.jpg

DSCN1926a.jpg

DSCN1927a.jpg

Yeah Duh Dad! :lol:   That's an awesome looking car.  Richard would be proud to field it!  (great to see a 9 year old involved in the hobby, nice work dad!)

Edited by bbowser, 08 December 2012 - 12:34 PM.

#37 Scottnkat

Scottnkat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

Bruce, Gen read your comment and got a big smile on her face.  Thanks for that! 

Oh, and she says, "Thank you"

Edited by Scottnkat, 08 December 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#38 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,403 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Spedding

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

Hello Brian !
Do you or does any more picture of this car are available ?
Thanks !
attachicon.gifYUNICKchevelle.jpgattachicon.gifYUNICKchevelle.jpg

The February 1989 issue of Circle Track has a great article and pictures if Smokey's Chevelle .  I have it if you are interested .

#39 Platerpants

Platerpants

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Full Name:Jake Bridges

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:34 AM

this was the monogram days of thunder hardees Chevy Lumina stock car. i did this thing in 2004 i think when i was family birthday card maker. i made like a buck 50 a card. the hood if you cant read it says jakes custom cards. then this year i tryed to referbish it a little it got new wheels and a couple new sponsers. now if only i could get my hands on the amt blank stock car and do one with decal paper and make it look good. g.jpggg.jpg

#40 Fender

Fender

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Sears

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

I have these kind of PhantomsAttached File  pics from 1031 04 029.jpg   121.74KB   4 downloadsAttached File  pics from 1031 04 061.jpg   90.05KB   7 downloadsAttached File  pics from 1031 04 178.jpg   135.11KB   6 downloadsAttached File  pics from 1031 04 190.jpg   102.28KB   7 downloadsAttached File  pics from 1031 04 225.jpg   161.21KB   11 downloadsAttached File  pics from 1031 04 272.jpg   104.44KB   9 downloads