Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lets see some "phantoms", cars that never ran or were submitted but never used for cup racing.....

• 1 month later...

seeing the Mirada and Imperials that are under construction has got me excited again!

I've got the Little CeasarsLincoln MKIII and also the BoJangles Cougar from the 90's in resin, but those are still in the box waiting for some inspiration.

What other cars were propsed or built but never made it to Cup racing? I know a few cars were used once or twice, like the '69 GrandPrix and the early 70's Grand Am.

Model car pics or actual car pics are welcome in this thread.17KingCobra1-vi.jpg22DaytonaIIbody-vi.jpg71SuperbirdIIylw-vi.jpgSep1005-vi.jpg

I did build a phantom Torino "King Cobra"(R&D Resin body combined with Revell Promodel Torino and PolarLights Cyclone chassis), and started on the Daytona II (AMT 71 Charger with AMT Daytona add ons), Superbird II (MPC kit right out the box) and also the Mercury "Super Cyclone" (Unkown resin with addition of scraps such as the hood from Datsun280zx).

the mpc 71 roadrunner how badly off is the angling of the nose cone compared to a 70 superbird nose cone?

Hi!

Here's mine, it's a '85 or '86 Chevy Monte-Carlo from Monogram with Fred Cady decals.

Since it's never been raced, i don't know who was the designated driver at this time..

By the way, if someone can help me with that, because i've been told it was a phantom race car while i was building it.. so i left it aside a bit and never completed the decals on it.

I built it four years ago!

It's been built box stock, except for the engine wires, the paint is white automotive lacquer...

Mike...

post-10165-0-17709800-1342051402_thumb.j

I believe that it was Harry Gant that had the number 88

Geoff Bodine drove #88 in 1983, Rusty Wallace in 1984.

Buddy Baker drove #88 in 1985-1988.

I dont think any of them was the Gatorade colors of your pic. Those was in the late 70's early 80's. Darrell Waltrip and Bobby Allison made those colors famous. Ricky Rudd was one of the last to drive those colors for Digard.

Hary Gant drove the Green and White #33 Skoal Bandit.

So yes your car I would call a phantom....

Geoff Bodine drove #88 in 1983, Rusty Wallace in 1984.

Buddy Baker drove #88 in 1985-1988.

I dont think any of them was the Gatorade colors of your pic. Those was in the late 70's early 80's. Darrell Waltrip and Bobby Allison made those colors famous. Ricky Rudd was one of the last to drive those colors for Digard.

Hary Gant drove the Green and White #33 Skoal Bandit.

So yes your car I would call a phantom....

Thank's for reply!

I remeber, when i built it few years back, i saw this car on the Fred Cady decal reference sheet, but couldn't see the driver...

Not that bad, i like the look of the Carlo with these decals!

I may opt for Buddy Baker!!

• 2 months later...

Okay, my nine-year old daughter designed and built this one. She imagined that she was driving for RPM and got to drive the #43 car (that's her favorite number and Richard Petty is her favorite driver). She figured that she likes cartoons, so she used a Cartoon Network decal sheet. It's pink because she's a girl, but she wanted the blue on the wheels because it's a Petty car. She picked a Ford Thunderbird because, "Dad, Richard Petty Motorsports drives Ford... Duh!"

DSCN1924a.jpg

DSCN1926a.jpg

DSCN1927a.jpg

Edited by Scottnkat

Okay, my nine-year old daughter designed this one. She imagined that she was driving for RPM and got to drive the #43 car (that's her favorite number and Richard Petty is her favorite driver). She figured that she likes cartoons, so she used a Cartoon Network decal sheet. It's pink because she's a girl, but she wanted the blue on the wheels because it's a Petty car. She picked a Ford Thunderbird because, "Dad, Richard Petty Motorsports drives Ford... Duh!"

DSCN1924a.jpg

DSCN1926a.jpg

DSCN1927a.jpg

Yeah Duh Dad! :lol: That's an awesome looking car. Richard would be proud to field it! (great to see a 9 year old involved in the hobby, nice work dad!)

Edited by bbowser

this was the monogram days of thunder hardees Chevy Lumina stock car. i did this thing in 2004 i think when i was family birthday card maker. i made like a buck 50 a card. the hood if you cant read it says jakes custom cards. then this year i tryed to referbish it a little it got new wheels and a couple new sponsers. now if only i could get my hands on the amt blank stock car and do one with decal paper and make it look good. g.jpggg.jpg

• 1 month later...

My favorite phantom to date was the Richard Petty 1971 Superbird built by a local modeler named Randy Baker. It took a third at the 2011 IPMS Nationals in Omaha and although it was a curbside (it became that way after an issue with the engine cropped up) it looked SHARP!

http://www.indycals.net/blog/?attachment_id=765

And yes, Richard Petty never got a 1971 Superbird into Nascar warpaint as NASCAR pretty much did away with the winged cars before the 1971 season. This model was I believe a kitbash of the Polar Lights Petty Charger with the old MPC kit.

Edited by JMChladek