#61 vintagestang

vintagestang

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Full Name:Patrick

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:28 AM

I'm still trying to decide what to build for a Tribute , so I dug out something I started a looong time ago ! Back in 1982 I started a 1/16 Cobra modeled after the Steve Arntz Replica that was on the cover of Hot Rod in 1979 . Using the MPC kit , I scratch built the frame and suspension using brass tubing . I just unboxed it for the first time this past weekend and took these photos .
Posted Image

It's pretty banged up and the paint has yellowed . It was Bright Red with a Bright White stripe !
The interior panels are aluminum and have oxidized pretty badly .
Posted Image

Overall , I think it looks pretty crude and may not be worth rebuilding . I have anither MPC kit that hasn't been touched yet .
Posted Image

This shot shows the front frame extension is broken . Also the working suspension can be seen .
Posted Image

Bottom views showing the frame and all the plumbing . One of the lower control arms is broken . I'm not sure why the rear links are rect. tubing , and there are no uppers !
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The braided hoses are the shielding found in electronic wiring . It looks pretty bad compared with what we have available today .
Posted Image

The fuel tank is an R/C item and the battery must be from the kit .
Posted Image

That aluminum floor is probabably the worst part of this thing !
Posted Image

Okay , like I said it's probably not worth saving , but I'm looking for ideas . Save all or part ? Or set it aside and start over .
I got carried away with the photos , didn't mean to take up so much space .
I really need some input on this one !
BOB .

I know the paint yellowed but it still looks good red and yellow.

#62 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Spedding

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

Thanks Steve , Ray , and Patrick . I appreciate your comments . When I did this build , I had never seen a Cobra in person and really was working from pictures in Magazines .
Alot has changed in the last 30 years ! I boxed it back up the way I found it , and will save it for another time . I plan on building a new Cobra using the kit I have and everything I've learned since then .
I hope there is no deadline for this CBP . I might be awhile .
BOB .

#63 wgflatliner

wgflatliner

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Thompson

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

got mine done and off the bench.

i did it box stock, as i wanted to get something completed to keep me motivated to build.

here's some pics!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#64 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,986 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

Very nice Mark

#65 tjones87

tjones87

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Jones

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

Looks great...cant wait to get mine in, will more than likely be done box stock, but not blue...love them in blue, but too many out there...will have to think of a different color.

#66 jcbigpaw

jcbigpaw

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Full Name:joe colvin

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

Bob I gotta tell you I am very impressed with the level of detail on that cobra. Incredible. I can only hope to some day aspire to your level of expertise. In the mean time I do have a GT350H I've been wanting to get to so this is a good excuse. Count me in.

#67 tjones87

tjones87

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

Had my laptop crash on the the other morning, so had to put a halt on this build...so I will be using the laptop as a place to snap pics, until I get it fixed (if its fixable)...

Finally got a chance to work on my Cobra. I dont all this today...got just about everything ready for assembly. Just need to clear the body and add the small pieces afterwards. I had initially planned on wrapping the body in BMF (after getting hood wrapped within 2 hours, the body did not coporate as well) but ended up going yellow. I will be using the cover for the pass side of the car. Hope to get it finished before the weekend.

Posted Image

#68 Scuderia

Scuderia

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Full Name:Lawrence Greene

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

Nice clean work and that dash looks super too, good job. Sorry to hear about the comp, good luck with the save on that one.

#69 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

I agree . And the yellow is going to look great ! People think I'm crazy , but I've seen a couple bright yellow cobras and they are beautiful .

#70 tjones87

tjones87

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:01 PM

yeah i think they look amazing in yellow. Would look better with black stripes, but this one got the stripe delete option lol. Hoping to have it done a little later tonight, but probably this weekend...got the clear sprayed today, not just all the little details. thanks for the comments.

#71 tjones87

tjones87

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

here it is after clear coat sprayed....

Posted Image

#72 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,986 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

Looks great, what yellow did you use?

#73 tjones87

tjones87

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

It is Createx Opaque Yellow. Was the only thing I had when I was ready to spray the body. It looks alot better than I imagined it would.

#74 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:13 AM

Yep , that's pretty .

#75 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,435 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:53 AM

Cobras look great in yellow and yours is no exception. I have several yellow ones. Nice paint job !

#76 tjones87

tjones87

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

Unfortunately I will not be finishign this for awhile. I have had soem stuff come up and not into building at the moment. On a good note..I did get my laptop fixed.

#77 Intmd8r

Intmd8r

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Cosby

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

This is my build so far:

It's nothing special at this stage, although I did paint the body twice. I wasn't happy with the outcome the first time around so why not make it perfiect the second?

It's a vintage Essex Wire kit and I thought that it would be perfect for this build. I don't recall seeing any other Essex Wire finished builds, so hopefully I can do a decent job!

While no one knows what ever happened to the original Essex Wire Cobra, here is my reference material: http://www.legendary...y_Cobra_Racecar

Attached Files

Edited by Intmd8r, 08 July 2012 - 02:43 PM.

#78 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,986 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

Looking good Steve, I am trying to decide on what I want do next for this CBP, cant decide on a newer or older Shelby Mustang , hmmm

#79 Intmd8r

Intmd8r

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Cosby

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

Looking good Steve, I am trying to decide on what I want do next for this CBP, cant decide on a newer or older Shelby Mustang , hmmm

If you ask me, the Shelby Mustangs are more readily available (at least around here) than the Cobras. You can't go wrong with either generation because it's a SHELBY!

The newer generations seem to have more aftermarket support if you want to try your hand and a one off, custom build with wild wheels, resin hoods and scoops. Whatever you decide, just make sure to share the pics ;)

BTW Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by Intmd8r, 08 July 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#80 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,986 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

You have some good points, I have been thinking about doing the 68 shelby and either the 2007 shelby, or the 500 KR shelby