#81 dieseldog1970

dieseldog1970

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Full Name:Curt Stickley

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

The starter cranked and Angie rumbled to life...in the cab, Frank did a final check on air presssure and oil pressure...she was ready to move under her own power! He reached down, released the brakes and slid the transmission into gear, as she started to inch forward, the door was raised and daylight was a few feet in front of her and Frank. Now both local radio and television stations had contacted management about being in the plant for the last day...thankfully, they were told that this was a private day for employees only and did not have access. This did not stop the tv crew from setting up at the back of the lot, sitting on the railroad tracks (!!???), the crew was able to film Angie as she came out the door. The back of the building had people all over the place as she came out, everyone was jockeying for position, trying to get the best pictures possible. Frank brought her all the way out, and turned her around...he drove Angie back into the plant, taking her back to the start of the line. The company had organized a luncheon for everyone there, and she was the STAR of the show...tables had been set up, food was ready to be served. As Frank drove the truck down the line, some employees went ahead and pulled airlines out of the way, when she was clear of the Cool Down booth, he stopped, pulled the brakes and shut her down. A loud cheer went up and everyone was clapping....Frank jumped down, and waited for the noise to die down....he made the confession that after all these years, he had never had a proper license to operate the trucks....(now if this is true, I have NO idea? I think he was joking)...everyone burst out laughing and the luncheon was started. One of the gifts that were handed out to all remaining employees was a coffee table book, a local artist had been hired to photograph people and places in and around the plant, from frame station to the warehouse...black and white photos of the people who gave it their all, and the various sections where all the pieces came together. I still have this book, and go through it occasionally, remembering the faces of friends, and my time there....

to be continued....

#82 dieseldog1970

dieseldog1970

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:21 PM

As the afternnoon wore on, and the luncheon was finished, it was time to head down to the bar for a drink! I gathered up my stuff, and headed to the door...the crew was in to clean up after the meal, I stopped and took one last look...the area that I had spent 6 years of my life was bare and empty. There were no work benches, tool carts, kitting racks or trucks...just bare concrete and the long booth in the middle of the plant...saddness filled me...I knew that going out the door would be the last time I would ever step into this place. I choked back my emotions and turned...with one final swipe of my employee card...I went out the gate and towards my truck.

I made my way down to Angies Pub and Bistro, found a spot in the parking lot, and went up to the front door...when I entered, there was one of the managers there, handing out one red ticket (ddor prize) and two green ones (drinks). These plus all the appetizers were payed for by the Canadian Dealer Council...they had contacted the upper management about splitting the cost, but they did not want to be liable for anything outside the plant. So all the dealers chipped in to give thanks for 35 years of building the best truck out there...I did not end up winning any door prizes...but I sure used the drink tickets!!! I gathered with all the employees, we laughed and told stories, we hoisted our glasses...then we did it again, and once more times 3...and so the night progressed. Avter sum time, I kood harly wawk...I's thunk I did drunk waay tooo mush....I barley remumber dat my wif come to git me...she poored me unto da kar....and uh.....ummmm......yesh.....I's got home....I wuz tared....and woke up wit a baad, baaad headacke!!

And like everyone else...the hunt was on for work...I did manage to find something after I had used up my severence...and now ten years later....telling my story. Feel free to ask any questions...I will try and give you some answers...

to be continued...

#83 bandit1

bandit1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Full Name:Sean W Brady

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

the John Deere diesel (YES...a JD!!!)that we installed for another truck show. I was in the warehouse at the time, and took this motor from there directly to Mock-up for inspection. I am not sure if they did the install or if it was done on line. Never seen that one after...so maybe some farmer wanted it really bad for his operation!!!

Cool...You wouldnt happen to have more info on the motor and or pics would ya?...be kinda neat to build one in scale for a pete project later? :lol:

#84 dieseldog1970

dieseldog1970

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Cool...You wouldnt happen to have more info on the motor and or pics would ya?...be kinda neat to build one in scale for a pete project later? :lol:

Thanks for the interest Sean, unfortunately...I do not have any pics of that truck. :( If I would have known what the future was going to be, I sure would have taken alot more pics! I do recall that the motor was around the same size as a Cummins N14, I did try doing a search through Google to find anything at all...but no luck. I will continue to see if I could dig anything up, I still have a few co-workers on facebook...so let me see what I can come up with.

Edited by dieseldog1970, 09 November 2012 - 08:21 PM.