#21 Badluck 13

Badluck 13

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Stiles

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:09 AM

So So cool to see the progress on this model...

#22 Beerman86GT

Beerman86GT

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Full Name:John Bierman

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:34 AM

Awesome work! I love checking on this build!!! B)

#23 matthijsgrit

matthijsgrit

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Full Name:Matthijs Grit

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Well then...a little setback. While opening the hood, I broke the very brittle body again at a stress crack I hadn't noticed, but she's recovering. I used the cleaned-up hood for a fixture to hold the pieces in correct alignment, and epoxied everything this time.

Posted Image

Here I'm fitting the new chassis. I had started to use a donor unit from a Hemi 'Cuda, but got to looking at the '64 Dodge 330, and it's much more appropriate. The fit at the firewall is remarkable.

Posted Image

The repop of the original chassis plate is on the left, and the 330 on the right. The fit really is remarkably good, and the 330 is a good approximation of the original, even having the correct fuel tank orientation. According to my research, the Phoenix had a wheelbase of 118 inches, and the 330 was 119, so the suspension location to get the wheels in the center of the wheel openings is simplified.

Posted Image

Getting the ride height where I want it will require moving the stub-axle up to the centerline of the current upper ball joint. More on that later. The rear frame rails get modified considerably to get her down as well.

Posted Image

Though this is a small-block Chevy and I've decided to use a mid-'60s Hemi, I'm going to use the ZF 6-speed gearbox shown. It will require the tunnel to be extensively modified. The engine is also being raised in the chassis for ground clearance, and moved rearward as far as possible.

Posted Image

Chassis ride-height mockup, with the trans tunnel removed for clearance, as well as the tops of the rear inner fenders. They will be spaced upwards about 3/16".

Posted Image

Now that I've got a handle on the chassis, it's time to start on the body repairs. Here a mold from the repop body is being test fitted to the original. Perfect.

Posted Image

Isn't that the engine of a Monogram Callaway Corvette? It is a twin turbo version Of the Chevy V8. Why not use it completely? Would be different, to say the least...

#24 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,999 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for your interest. Yes, it is the Monogram Callaway Corvette Speedster unit, but what you see is all I have of it. I'm wanting to keep the engine Mopar in this one, but it will be supercharged with an unusual rig that will fit under the stock hood. I'm also not wild about turbos on 1:1 cars that have big engines, for whatever reason, and my models reflect what I'd build full-scale if I had the $$. It's hard to beat the brutal, instantaneous throttle response of a mechanically-blown Hemi. And that is why it's getting a reinforced Ford 9" diff on arms and coils, instead of the stock leaf-springs.

#25 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,999 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:11 AM

Tricky bits....Masked the inside of the shell while spraying poly-vinyl alcohol release agent on the outside, and inside the mold. Jagged broken edges were scarfed ( tapered) back about 1/4" INSIDE.

Posted Image

Mold aligned and securely taped in place. Release agent was CAREFULLY removed from extreme edges of break so that resin would adhere all the way to the surface.

Posted Image

I coat of MGS 285 epoxy / 285 hardener thickened with Aerosil + 3 layers of fine model airplane cloth and MGS 285 resin / 285 hardener. Covered some stress cracks as well. Should have used the slower 287 hardener, as in the 90deg. heat, the resin was kicking during the third layer, which is why it looks kinda nasty.

Posted Image

Popped the mold off after overnight cure.

Posted Image

A little cleanup and she'll be good as new. In all honesty, I got the mold mis-aligned a few thousandths of an inch, and the molded surface is just a tad high, but careful bodywork will fix it. The repair is stronger than the original plastic, and the joins at the edges are forever. Forming parts in place like this is the same technique I've used sucessfully on 1:1 composite, 200mph aircraft. Same resin system too.

Posted Image

#26 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,807 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:15 AM

Nice repair. Can't wait to see this one finished.

#27 Bartster

Bartster

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Full Name:Bart E Deatherage

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:15 AM

This is a very exciting build. Can't wait to see it through!

#28 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,999 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:30 AM

Nascar rear end assy. Reinforced Ford 9", but it just won't work as is.

Posted Image

Modded crossmember, shortened arms, tunnel and floor being clearanced for driveshaft and pumpkin. All this is necessary to lower the car to where I want it, and still have pretend functionality. Have to make coil-spring pockets and shock mounts.

Posted Image

New front lower control arms tacked in place. Crossmember will have to be modified too.

Posted Image

Corresponding new upper control arms tacked, engine fitted to check for clearances. This will put the centers of the stub-axles where they need to be to get the stance of the mockup. Firewall is getting bumped back too, to let me move the engine back a little more. Patch in firewall is where HVAC unit used to live.

Posted Image

If I angle the headers in towards the block just a little more, they will just clear the torsion bars when installed. Steering cross-linkage will most likely be replaced by rack and pinion.

Posted Image

#29 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:44 AM

This is a great looking project ! Must follow along to learn more .

#30 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,999 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

I deleted my original post of some content that was subsequently quoted in its entirety in a relpy. All the content remains, just not two copies. Hate to waste bandwidth for mutiple posts of the same stuff.

#31 DR JAY

DR JAY

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Van Nostrand

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

Excellent work so far...you have shamed me into retiring the dirty pinecone I used to use for painting bodies and have forced me to look for one that might be a little cleaner--or perhaps even something different; like a hardly-used meat tenderizing hammer! Hilarious!

#32 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Brackney

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

You have some really good patience, that thing would of been in the trash if it were me. Nice work, again.

#33 Garagenous_Jim

Garagenous_Jim

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Petrowski

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

Really nice work, and the pics are great. Want to see more!

#34 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,999 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

Thanks to everyone for the comments. Glad you're enjoying it.

After the repairs were done on both sides, I added a 1/8 inch layer of cotton flock / epoxy mix to the insides of the quarters. Enough structural strength in the fibers to allow me to reshape the lower rear of the panels without worrying about going through the repair. The original car had some protruding molded things to fair in the bumper, and I decided they had to go.

Posted Image

Also made a splash mold of the Saleen Mustang hard tonneau, and made a duplicate, shown on right. Not perfect, but all I was after is the shape of the head-fairings anyway.

Posted Image

Starting to work in a narrowed Pontiac-ish rear panel........

Posted Image

...and with the hard tonneau, trying to bring out a little of the Jetsons feel without going over the top.......

Posted Image

#35 Joker

Joker

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts
  • Full Name:James Scott

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for sharing the "new" to me..panel repair with glass.
The photos are bright and crisp.

#36 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

Wow, this thing is going to be wild by the time it's done!

#37 71datsun1200

71datsun1200

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Full Name:Will DeClet

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:22 AM

really cool project you have going there. can't wait to see more updates. B)

#38 Mr. Moparman

Mr. Moparman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Full Name:Brandon Henderson

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

That is some good repair work going on there! Keep it up!

#39 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,999 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

Thanks guys. Right now I'm looking at windshield options, modern or more wrap-around, and a starting point for a front lower pan. Once I get those nailed down she should start moving pretty quickly. I've got some vintage Revell parts-pack rocketship taillights that may work too.

#40 James2

James2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Full Name:JamesRiesII

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

Very nice fabrication.