#1 Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:12 PM

Finally finished the Martini I've been sippin' for the past 2 months :wink:

I still want to make a better exhaust pipe; I'll do that tomorrow. These are some of the first custom laser printed decals that I designed; they came out great. I had intended to build a silver 924 like a local car, but when I saw pics of this Champion Edition (made in a brief run in '77) and realized I could make the decals, I decided to give this version a go.

The Monogram 924 is a dead simple kit, it paint details nicely. A few fit/warp issues were the main challenges to this kit which has fewer than 40 pieces. This is a model you almost never see built, and I doubt anyone has attempted this version so it's a 1 of 1.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Billy Kingsley

Billy Kingsley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • Full Name:Billy

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:01 PM

Very cool Bob! I think one of the guys in the TNMCC built one of them in black a few years back, before I even had my digital camera. Looks like a fun kit, from his car and and yours.

I like the graphics...nice job on your first decal making attempt!

#3 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:23 AM

Very Cool Bob!

Y'know........ I've never seen that model from Monogram before--I didn't know they made that! The only 924/944 models I have seen have been from Hasegawa(?).

Was that a curbside, or did it have an engine?

#4 Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:53 AM

Very Cool Bob!

Y'know........ I've never seen that model from Monogram before--I didn't know they made that! The only 924/944 models I have seen have been from Hasegawa(?).

Was that a curbside, or did it have an engine?

It's a basic curbside, fewer than 40 pieces in the entire kit so no engine detail at all and a simple 1 piece chassis w/wheels and plastic axles. They also did a later 924 Turbo w/BBS style rims and the smallish front grilles. Monogram made a whole series of European cars (and a 280Z) in the 70's in this series; and they did race versions of many of them (they may have done this as a racer too; there are a couple of locator spots in the interior for a roll bar). They are all reasonably accurate and enjoyable kits to build. I've built a light blue metallic Ferrari 308 from the series that you've seen here and I've also got another one (race version), a racing 280Z, and Triumph TR7 and TR8's to build as well. They show up frequently enough at shows and are generally inexpensive.

#5 PatRedmond

PatRedmond

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 02:01 AM

Great job on a rare car!

#6 BIGTRUCK

BIGTRUCK

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Krawiec

Posted 11 June 2006 - 04:42 AM

Very cool , another super lookin build..

#7 MonoPed

MonoPed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 04:55 AM

That is soo cool!! I never knew that kit was out there.

....Monogram made a whole series of European cars (and a 280Z) in the 70's in this series.....

What year 280 Z is represented by that kit? I used to own a 1:1 '75½ 280Z (first of the fuel injected cars) that I would love to model.

#8 Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 05:16 AM

Not sure of what year the 280 is; it's from the same time period (mid 70's) as all the others. It's an okay kit, needs a bit of TLC. It does have the giant bumpers and the factory slotted mags. I don't have the stock one; I have the racing version w/different mags, spoiler, rollbar, headlight covers, but also would build mostly stock. Might be a good candidate to kitbash w/one of the new Hasegawa 240Z's.

#9 MonoPed

MonoPed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 10:05 AM

The giant bumpers make me think it is a '75½ - 76. Gonna have to keep an eye out for one of these...

#10 IMSANUT

IMSANUT

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Full Name:Jim McCall

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

Beautiful build! I have one of the race versions of these in my stash. I used the kit you have built as a means to modify an Italeri 944 turbo to match my 1:1 1983 944.

They are indeed neat simple kits. One of the TR7's will be the Group 44 car that was a subject in an old MRRN issue.

#11 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:07 AM

Finally finished the Martini I've been sippin' for the past 2 months :wink:

I still want to make a better exhaust pipe; I'll do that tomorrow. These are some of the first custom laser printed decals that I designed; they came out great. I had intended to build a silver 924 like a local car, but when I saw pics of this Champion Edition (made in a brief run in '77) and realized I could make the decals, I decided to give this version a go.

The Monogram 924 is a dead simple kit, it paint details nicely. A few fit/warp issues were the main challenges to this kit which has fewer than 40 pieces. This is a model you almost never see built, and I doubt anyone has attempted this version so it's a 1 of 1.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

WOW !!! That is beautiful !!!
Y'know , I've never seen this kit in built form , either :o . Kinda surprised about that , as one of my friends was all about exotic cars ; and in subsequent years , owned a '78 924 . It was a copper colour ; it was nice and clean . It got totalled out in '93 when it was hit hard in the rear by an inattentive driver :( .

#12 dimebolt

dimebolt

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Full Name:Corey M. Jackson

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:16 AM

Looks great Bob.
Another A+ build. Even for a curbside.
Corey

#13 ChrisR

ChrisR

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Roos

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

Looks great!

#14 Mauricio Meyer

Mauricio Meyer

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Full Name:Mauricio Martinez Meyer

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

Nice porsche, i like it! Congrats!

Edited by Mauricio Meyer, 14 November 2012 - 08:43 AM.