Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,831 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

Posted Image
Here are three of the seven Hudson sixes I'm working on. Yes, I said seven. None of these engines are 100% complete.

Left- drag racer with mechanical injection and headers, based off the engine in 1964 Winternationals Lorne Sapp's Anglia.
Center- mild street engine with dual Strombergs
Right- Soon to sport a side-mounted Roots supercharger
Not shown and still in its embryonic stages at this time- Nonexistant (in 1:1) Ardun-type OHV conversion head and manifolds.

All three finned cylinder heads are scratchbuilt. Some of these will end up in Hornets. Some will not. More updates as events warrant... ;)

#142 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:13 AM

nice!

#143 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,410 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:42 AM

Seven? Seven, ok. Are you working on a model car version of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs? :lol:

#144 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,831 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:15 AM

Oh, and there's this 1-off OHV 'commercial' version I'm playing around with...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#145 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:37 AM

nice-er!

#146 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:44 AM

Chuck, that is some beautiful work on the finned valve cover, and the OHV version looks great too, you plan on having that stuff cast?

Edited by Custom Mike, 08 September 2012 - 07:45 AM.

#147 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,831 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

Chuck, that is some beautiful work on the finned valve cover, and the OHV version looks great too, you plan on having that stuff cast?

The finned head, possibly- once I master one with acutal head bolt detail. And I'm kicking around the idea of doing some Gibson-Binks speedboat parts like the intake manifold and two-piece head.

#148 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,900 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

Here are three of the seven Hudson sixes I'm working on. Yes, I said seven.

When Moebius' next new kit is announced, we'll all have Chuck to thank. :lol:

Nice work on the OHV version, Chuck. I'm sure you'll find it a nice home...if you haven't already. ;)

#149 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

OK, we're back at it, I tried the foil trick on the tail lights, and let me tell ya, it's beautiful! I've got enough foil on hand now to last me for a few hundred models, it works that well! I also got the final piece installed on the wood bed, and received my PE radio face from Rick over on Scale Avenue, so we've got some progress to show ya!

I sprayed some Craft Bond on the foil, placed the tail lights on the foil, and let it dry...
50ChevyPU186-vi.jpg

One hour later, we have beautiful tail lights!
50ChevyPU187-vi.jpg

The back end piece on the bed, now to get the tail gate cleared so I can assemble the bed!
50ChevyPU188-vi.jpg

Notice how it's higher on the ends than the middle? Yup, the wooden bed is slightly warped!
50ChevyPU189-vi.jpg

And the PE radio face that Rick sent me, gotta get some paint on this baby!
50ChevyPU192-vi.jpg

I painted the radio Semi-Gloss Black, removed the excess paint, and added some Tamiya Clear Green to the display area, I may go back and redo that, we'll see. I measured off the dash and centered the radio...

50ChevyPU194-vi.jpg

I cut a notch in my my piece of dash pad/leather for the radio, and attached it to the dash, then set the gauge inlay into it's home...
50ChevyPU195-vi.jpg

Then the PE face for the gauges was added...
50ChevyPU196-vi.jpg

A bit of Black wash...
50ChevyPU197-vi.jpg

And finally the Detail Master Krome Foil strip, a straight pin for the glove box lock, and a drop of Testors Clear Parts cement was added to each gauge!
50ChevyPU199-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike, 05 July 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#150 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,612 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

Dash looks great !

#151 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,831 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

At first I wasn't sure about your gauge layout, Mike- the two big, round bezels are kind of a signature trait on those trucks. But the more I look at it, the more I like it.

#152 zenrat

zenrat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Maillardet

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

Rear lights have worked really well.

#153 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,410 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:48 AM

Love that dash work.

#154 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure about the dash pad at first, but I really like the looks of it now. I've got a small update tonight. First up, I re-did my rear brake lines to be more accurate. The brake lines now go over the axle like normal brake lines, I'll add a bit of black insulation from some 22 gauge wire when they are glued in place to represent the flexible parts.

50ChevyPU200-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU201-vi.jpg

Now onto a bit of work on the bed. I looked at the reference pics I have of the chains for the tailgate, and found there's really no way to attach the chains in the same way on the model version, so I came up with a way to do it. I bent up some small pieces of 26 gauge wire, trimmed them into tiny "u" shapes, drilled a pair of holes in the bed sides, cut some pieces of chain, and carefully glued the u-shapes into place. As soon as the Clear cures on the tailgate, I'll find a way to attach the chain to it and get the bed completed!

Measure? Nah, I'll just eyeball the holes and hope I get lucky as usual!
50ChevyPU202-vi.jpg

One of the 26 gauge u-shapes undergoing a test-fitting, it actually worked!
50ChevyPU203-vi.jpg

Here's the chain I'm going to be using, it's from the model Railroad section of Hayes Hobby House, along with two pieces of heat-shrink tubing, I'm still not sure which one I'll be using to cover the chain.
50ChevyPU205-vi.jpg

Here's the chain and u-shape next to an X-Acto blade just to show you how small these pieces actually are!
50ChevyPU206-vi.jpg

And the chain in place on the sides of the bed, it looks pretty good for not being 100% accurate!
50ChevyPU207-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike, 05 July 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#155 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

Not much of an update, but I did get a little bit done on the bed today. I polished up the tailgate and mocked the bed up, and I need to see why I have such a large gap around the bottom of the tailgate and the front end of the bed. Once I figure that bit of trouble out, I'll figure out where to attach the chains to the tailgate and get the bed finished off!

Posted Image

#156 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

Guys; I've decided that since I'm posting this build over in the Truck side too, I'll just keep posting it over there, and post the engine stuff here and a completed pic or two when it's done. If you want to follow it over there, click on the link below, and keep building!

http://www.modelcars...opic=62677&st=0

#157 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,831 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

There's a Hudson six buried in there someplace. Hmmm....
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#158 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,831 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

Got my Kitchen Table Flathead six today... hopefully it won't be long before the '48 FINALLY gets done...

#159 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

Go Chuck go! Any progress on getting that finned valve cover cast, I know a couple of people who would sure love one!

OK, I forgot about this one, so slap me around a bit. I got the engine done for the '50 Chevy, so I'll post the results finally. The rest isn't done yet, but hopefully soon it'll get it's rims and be finished off!

I painted the engine with some Valspar Bright Gold, got out my distributor from Scale Repro's Plus, and hacked up a four barrel intake so I could use it on this one (I couldn't get the Paxton blower that Sean Stacy made for me to work, the pully setup was killing me!).

50ChevyPU238-vi.jpg

Valve cover was de-chromed and painted with some Metalizer Aluminum, plug wires and boots in place, fuel line ran, and a wire from the starter that will go to a quasi-voltage regulator on the firewall, along with the positive battery cable.

50ChevyPU255-vi.jpg

Fuel line up to the carb, carb was painted with Metalizer Brass, oil filter was installed along with the fan/pulley assembly

50ChevyPU276-vi.jpg

I still need to paint a section of the fuel line from the frame Black to simulate a piece of rubber line, I always forget that part!

50ChevyPU277-vi.jpg

And a completed shot with the radiator in place. The radiator hoses are made from 18 gauge wire, and the olil filter was re-glued to straighten it out, it had a bit of a sag in this picture.

50ChevyPU278-vi.jpg

That's it for my first Straight Six, I love the way it came out so much I want to build another one of these kits soon!

#160 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,831 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

Nice one, Mike!

As for availability of the finned Hudson head, that's still a work in progress. I still need to get a workable master. It's a fun yet tedious project- I think I'm on my fifth attempt at the moment. :lol: