The Straight Six community build
Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:31 PM
Here are three of the seven Hudson sixes I'm working on. Yes, I said seven. None of these engines are 100% complete.
Left- drag racer with mechanical injection and headers, based off the engine in 1964 Winternationals Lorne Sapp's Anglia.
Center- mild street engine with dual Strombergs
Right- Soon to sport a side-mounted Roots supercharger
Not shown and still in its embryonic stages at this time- Nonexistant (in 1:1) Ardun-type OHV conversion head and manifolds.
All three finned cylinder heads are scratchbuilt. Some of these will end up in Hornets. Some will not. More updates as events warrant...
Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:42 AM
Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:15 AM
Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:44 AM
Edited by Custom Mike, 08 September 2012 - 07:45 AM.
Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:45 AM
The finned head, possibly- once I master one with acutal head bolt detail. And I'm kicking around the idea of doing some Gibson-Binks speedboat parts like the intake manifold and two-piece head.
Chuck, that is some beautiful work on the finned valve cover, and the OHV version looks great too, you plan on having that stuff cast?
Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:16 PM
Here are three of the seven Hudson sixes I'm working on. Yes, I said seven.
When Moebius' next new kit is announced, we'll all have Chuck to thank.
Nice work on the OHV version, Chuck. I'm sure you'll find it a nice home...if you haven't already.
Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:44 AM
I sprayed some Craft Bond on the foil, placed the tail lights on the foil, and let it dry...
One hour later, we have beautiful tail lights!
The back end piece on the bed, now to get the tail gate cleared so I can assemble the bed!
Notice how it's higher on the ends than the middle? Yup, the wooden bed is slightly warped!
And the PE radio face that Rick sent me, gotta get some paint on this baby!
I painted the radio Semi-Gloss Black, removed the excess paint, and added some Tamiya Clear Green to the display area, I may go back and redo that, we'll see. I measured off the dash and centered the radio...
I cut a notch in my my piece of dash pad/leather for the radio, and attached it to the dash, then set the gauge inlay into it's home...
Then the PE face for the gauges was added...
A bit of Black wash...
And finally the Detail Master Krome Foil strip, a straight pin for the glove box lock, and a drop of Testors Clear Parts cement was added to each gauge!
Edited by Custom Mike, 09 September 2012 - 08:45 AM.
Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:37 PM
Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:42 PM
Now onto a bit of work on the bed. I looked at the reference pics I have of the chains for the tailgate, and found there's really no way to attach the chains in the same way on the model version, so I came up with a way to do it. I bent up some small pieces of 26 gauge wire, trimmed them into tiny "u" shapes, drilled a pair of holes in the bed sides, cut some pieces of chain, and carefully glued the u-shapes into place. As soon as the Clear cures on the tailgate, I'll find a way to attach the chain to it and get the bed completed!
Measure? Nah, I'll just eyeball the holes and hope I get lucky as usual!
One of the 26 gauge u-shapes undergoing a test-fitting, it actually worked!
Here's the chain I'm going to be using, it's from the model Railroad section of Hayes Hobby House, along with two pieces of heat-shrink tubing, I'm still not sure which one I'll be using to cover the chain.
Here's the chain and u-shape next to an X-Acto blade just to show you how small these pieces actually are!
And the chain in place on the sides of the bed, it looks pretty good for not being 100% accurate!
Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:42 PM
Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:56 PM
Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:54 AM
Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:23 AM
Got my Kitchen Table Flathead six today... hopefully it won't be long before the '48 FINALLY gets done...
Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:23 AM
Go Chuck go! Any progress on getting that finned valve cover cast, I know a couple of people who would sure love one!
OK, I forgot about this one, so slap me around a bit. I got the engine done for the '50 Chevy, so I'll post the results finally. The rest isn't done yet, but hopefully soon it'll get it's rims and be finished off!
I painted the engine with some Valspar Bright Gold, got out my distributor from Scale Repro's Plus, and hacked up a four barrel intake so I could use it on this one (I couldn't get the Paxton blower that Sean Stacy made for me to work, the pully setup was killing me!).
Valve cover was de-chromed and painted with some Metalizer Aluminum, plug wires and boots in place, fuel line ran, and a wire from the starter that will go to a quasi-voltage regulator on the firewall, along with the positive battery cable.
Fuel line up to the carb, carb was painted with Metalizer Brass, oil filter was installed along with the fan/pulley assembly
I still need to paint a section of the fuel line from the frame Black to simulate a piece of rubber line, I always forget that part!
And a completed shot with the radiator in place. The radiator hoses are made from 18 gauge wire, and the olil filter was re-glued to straighten it out, it had a bit of a sag in this picture.
That's it for my first Straight Six, I love the way it came out so much I want to build another one of these kits soon!
Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:30 AM
Nice one, Mike!
As for availability of the finned Hudson head, that's still a work in progress. I still need to get a workable master. It's a fun yet tedious project- I think I'm on my fifth attempt at the moment.