#161 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,794 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

In case you were curious, here's Ken's Flathead six...

FORD001_zps28916b19-vi.jpg

FORD002vi-vi.jpg

#162 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

Nice one, Mike!

As for availability of the finned Hudson head, that's still a work in progress. I still need to get a workable master. It's a fun yet tedious project- I think I'm on my fifth attempt at the moment. :lol:

Chuck, I'd take one of them as they are now, I could add the bolt-head detail myself, they look great! The Flathead Six looks like a great casting, I've never seen one of those in a real car, but I've led a sheltered life...I was only allowed to look at V-8's as a child! LOL

Edited by Custom Mike, 01 April 2013 - 03:55 PM.

#163 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,794 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

I not only was allowed to behold them as a child, I puttered around a bit in my father's '47 Ford truck, which was powered by a '51 Ford 226. Yeah, it left a mark on me. :lol:

#164 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,794 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:41 AM

Engine is done and pretty much all that's left for the '48 are the piddly last-minute parts and details.

FORD001_zps46bac296-vi.jpg

FORD002_zps167f2bb0-vi.jpg

#165 Olskoolrodder

Olskoolrodder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Full Name:Stephen Sammons

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

LOVE it!!! :D

#166 rel14

rel14

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Layman

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

old 32 Chevy Hubley model

Attached Files

#167 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,794 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

That's actually the first Hubley '32 Chevy kit I've seen built up. Looks like you modified it just a little. :rolleyes: I like it.

The '48 Coupe is finally done- I'm just waiting for daybreak so I can shoot a couple of photos.

#168 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,900 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

I finally collected (almost) all the 14" tires I need to go with the 14" steel wheels from the Revell '64 T-Bolt kit...just need to find one more tire, but I may go the mismatched/spare route for #4.

I'm using Scenes Unlimited drum brake backing plates with some unknown kit-sourced wheel backs which are very brake drum like, and some resin inner wheel rings:

wnt.jpg

These are easily my favorite kit-sourced 14" steel wheels, and because the circumference is beveled, they really snug down into just about any tire, like so:

dartwnt.jpg

When is the completion deadline again?  -_-

#169 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

Casey, if you need another one of those tires, I may have ;em for ya! I'll dig through my tire boxes to make sure...

Edited by Custom Mike, 08 January 2013 - 06:40 PM.

#170 Ken McGuire

Ken McGuire

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Full Name:Ken McGuire

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:23 AM

If this build goes long enough (I'm a really slow builder) I would like to add a 1941 Dodge Panel (Resin Motor Replicas) with a Canadian flathead six cylinder. The engine I'm using is called a Kew six (Partsbox of Australia) as originally some Canadian engines were sent to England for Dodges built overseas. They then made their way to Australia.

#171 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,794 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

If this build goes long enough (I'm a really slow builder) I would like to add a 1941 Dodge Panel (Resin Motor Replicas) with a Canadian flathead six cylinder. The engine I'm using is called a Kew six (Partsbox of Australia) as originally some Canadian engines were sent to England for Dodges built overseas. They then made their way to Australia.

There's no end, so feel free to jump in any time. B)

#172 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

that sounds interesting

...a 1941 Dodge Panel (Resin Motor Replicas) with a Canadian flathead six cylinder. ...

#173 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

Okay so................I picked up a 1/24 Monogram '39 Chevy coupe here recently in a trade. The engine is missing but the rest is there. So the 235 I-6 from the Revell 1/24 '53 Bel Aire will finish it up, which put me in a great position to join you folks in this CBP. It will be a gasser. Pics soon. 

#174 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,900 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

I found a fourth, matching tire, so tonight I sanded and scrubbed (Barkeeper's Friend) all four, the front two showing the car's front end needs re-aligning:

Darttires1_zps76e96c24.jpg

Yes, I bored out one rear wheel hub hole too much, so it'll become a wheel back hoop.  -_-  I don't know which kit these Firestone 500 tires came from, but I recall they were included with the Lesney-era AMT '68 Camaro Z/28 kit, and they are perfect for a narrow, late '60s "common" car tire. Even better are the front 14" steel wheels from the Revell '64 Ford T-bolt, which have a nice taper, allowing the wheels to drop down inside the tire bead. I used these wheels back-to-back, narrowing the back wheel piece by sanding away the wheel center, leaving only a ring. With the final hourglass shape of both wheels joined, the tire is held in tension and can't move. Here's a close-up shot of the two wheel pieces joined:

Dartwheels1_zps0f15165f.jpg

One little hiccup is the slightly mismatched mold have the tires were molded with, so one side of the tread area is slightly lower. This isn't a problem if you are planning to sand the tread area anyway, but on one of these tires I really needed to sand the tread to get both sides even, and you can see in the image below there's a little more to do. Maybe I'll just make that the contact patch:

Darttires2_zpscb18ee28.jpg

I also decided to glue the K-member to the framerails, as keeping it aligned with mini bolts wasn't very effective, and I needed to get the brake drum and wheel/tire positions set. The torsion bars were cut to fit, and new holes were drilled in the trans crossmember so the t-bars could slip inside, then forward a little bit into the lower control arm sockets, so they are secured at both ends. I won't permanently install them until final assembly, and I need to add some anchors/detail on the backside of the trans crossmember, but it's progress:

tbarsin_zps5dd6d034.jpg

I also managed to re-break one of the leaf springs, which is just as well since I sanded the rear axle tubes a bit too much and they ended up looking a bit too skinny. Not sure if I'll use another 8-3/4" rear from the '68 Dart kit or try to make an 8-1/4" rear from, well, something that's a close starting point.  :blink:  An 8-3/4" rear just doesn't "feel" right in a /6 car to me.

#175 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,900 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

I decided the Lindberg '64 Belvedere's four-speed trans wasn't gonna cut it disguised as a three-speed, so I got out my AMT '71 Duster 340 parts kit and took another look at the trans, decided it would be acceptable, and go to work. I already prepped the bellhousing from the Lindy '64, so I test fit the inspection cover then glued it in place, glued the bellhousing to the block, then after more test fitting and fine tuning the trans was joined to the bellhousing. I don't have a final shot of it all together, but here are the parts beforehand:

newtrans.jpg

I was hoping/planning to go with a column shifter 3-speed manual, but the 4-speed linkage is cleaner and less complicated,  and will only require a new floor hump.

The 8-3/4" rear is getting a makeover of sorts. I wasn't happy with the kit's rearend, so I sliced off the out-of-round axle tubes, substituted some 1/8" styrene rod, and will need to get busy sanding and shaping:

re.jpg

I finally test fit the narrower, more Slant Six-appropriate radiator (I think it came from the Lindy LRW A-100 pickup kit) to the core support, and it was a great fit in all directions. I added some styrene strip to the bottom, then roughed it into shape. I will drill for the pass. side upper and lower radiator hose inlet locations once I get the engine position dialed in:

radiator.jpg

A test fit of the engine and trans revlealed the oil pan's position isn't quite ideal, and the trans mount doesn't line up with the crossmember, so I need to fix that before adding the engine mounts to the K-frame:

engtf17133.jpg

Bellhousing to firewall clearance looks good:

engtestfit17132.jpg

#176 Olskoolrodder

Olskoolrodder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Full Name:Stephen Sammons

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

Cool project! :D

#177 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Great work Casey, it's coming together nicely now!

Edited by Custom Mike, 08 January 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#178 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,794 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

Great work Corey, it's coming together nicely now!

Who's this Corey guy? :lol:

#179 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Don't ask Chuck, I get easily confused, I think it's all the vintage Testors glue tubes I have around here!  :blink:

#180 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

i think he drives a crosley