MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Full Name:rick beaubien

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

Any of you guys ecer seeen one of these:

http://www.flickr.co...N08/5232684940/

Can't fiqure out just exactly what it is ??

Rick

#2 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Full Name:Leo Bishop

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

I believe KW Kids comment on Flickr is correct. PIE did a lot of modifications and building in their own shops. This most likely is a shop built truck rather than something Ford manufactured.

#3 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,845 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

That is a Ford prototype for the H-series. They were built in 1959 by Hendrickson to Ford's specs, and distributed to P I E and other carriers for evaluation. There is a picture similar to this in James K Wagner's Ford Trucks Since 1905 book, I'll see if I can dig it out and get more info.

#4 steven

steven

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:33 AM

With a sleeper that small I hope the driver was really short.

#5 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,845 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

Here's a scan of the page from the book... looks to be the exact same image, only in black and white.
Posted Image
On-the-job testing of the Ford H-Series concept began in the summer of 1959 when four dual-drive set-back axle prototypes such as this were placed in service of P-I-E, Spector-Midstates, Great Southern and Middle Atlantic Freight Lines. Custom-built by Hendrickson Manufacturing Company, to Ford's design and specifications, these tractors employed elevated C-Series cabs complete with sleepers. Notice how the original headlamp, grille, and wheelhouse openings were blocked off. Production units were quite similar.

#6 cdnmodman

cdnmodman

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

Thanks Chuck,

Great info, I have a COE cab with no running gear or chassis laying around thought this might be an interesting
build opp. Were there any more pics by chance.

Thanks Rick

#7 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,845 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

That's the only picture I've ever seen of one. I've been putting together a stash of parts to build one for years, and have been having a hard time finding anything but this one.

#8 mistermodel

mistermodel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Full Name:KEVIN YORKE

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

Chuck ,thanks for sharing.I know there is one ,maybe two pictures on hankstruckpictures .I tried to find it,but there are only 100000 P.I.E. pics to search,so I haven't found it yet.
I think Ive seen another version also on this www. thingmajig.
If I was to build it, I'd start with a paystar frame toned down abit ,with say AMT frieghtliner steering box and rear suspention,just because of the set back axle and the wheels look real close.A 250 cummins from an autocar is ideal
Who's gonna build it

#9 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,845 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

None of the info I can find specifies exactly what engines the prototypes had- the production trucks could be had with any one of ten engines- Ford Super Duty gas V8s (!) or Cummins diesels, so the Autocar engine should work just fine. I'm sure that more than one engine type was used in the prototypes. I'm planning on using a cut-down White Freightliner DD chassis for mine, not sure if I'll modify the kit wheels to look more like the protoype wheels, or see if I can find something a bit closer in another kit or resin. Cab and interior would be from an AMT C-Series (obviously) and the rest would just be made up of flat pieces of styrene.

#10 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

Now I can add Hendrickson to the list of companies that used that Budd built cab. Actually that sleeper was fairly roomy for 1959. Would be a good project too bad pictures are so scarce for details. PIE by 1959 most likely had all their road tractors diesel powered. Since western based carriers were weight sensative the 4 spring suspension from the Freightliner makes sense.

#11 mistermodel

mistermodel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Full Name:KEVIN YORKE

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

I forgot to mention that along with the rear suspention,the freightliner also has a 250 cummins.Just turn the oil pan around to cleat the set back axle

#12 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

Sounds good.

#13 cdnmodman

cdnmodman

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:46 AM

Little more searching last night provided this article where the 1959 model was mentioned.

http://www.hemmings...._feature11.html
and this pic:

http://www.hankstruc...ie_ford_coe.jpg

Rick

Edited by cdnmodman, 26 June 2012 - 12:49 AM.

#14 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,845 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:56 AM

I have the issue of Hemmings with that same article in my stash- pretty good source of information on the production trucks. I just wish there was a bit more info specific to the 1959 prototypes, but I guess it is what it is. I was planning on building a production H-Series truck, but I've seen quite a few of those built as models, which is why I want to do the prototype. The P-I-E version is the most commonly seen of the four prototypes, so I might do one in a Spector-Midstates, Great Southern, or Middle Atlantic Freight Lines paint scheme.

#15 cdnmodman

cdnmodman

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

Chuck,

A question, I remember reading something some time ago where Ford had actually protyped a tractor using the Econline van cab. Apparently when Dodge came up with
the l700 cab looked very silimiliar to the Ford prototype, is there any reference in the book you have of that cab. Was thinking that be another great build op.

Thanks
Rick

#16 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,845 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

There is one photograph of it. Ford quickly abandoned the idea, but Dodge either heard of the project or had been working on their own and came out with the L-Series. In that case, finding a 1:25 Econoline would be the biggest challenge.

#17 Aaronw

Aaronw

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts
  • Full Name:Aaron

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

Ford didn't offer a diesel until 1961 or 62. As it is a prototype, and the H was the first to offer a diesel, it is possible that one or more of these trucks had a diesel, but also a good chance they had one of the big Ford Super Duty gas engines.

#18 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

Clearly the PIE truck is diesel with that big stack. Being prototypes built by Hendrickson and considering where they went I'd say all diesel.

#19 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,845 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:02 PM

My guess would be that the prototypes were most likely diesels as well, since the Super Duty gas V8s were already in production by then.

#20 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:46 PM

Can't wait to see pics. Maybe the Lindberg van trailer (old IMC) would look good with it.