Model Cars Magazine Forum

well, i wanna slam it.

• 1 month later...

There are a couple ways to lower your truck down. 1 being a static drop which allows you to be lowered to a certain point and height. Then there our your airbags or hydrolics which allow you to slam your trucks frame flat on the ground. This is were the "notch" or "Z'd" frame comes into play which is basically the part of the frame that is raised up to allow somewhere for the rear end to go. That's were it can get tricky, you might have a lot of problems with clearence but take your time and plan everything out. A lot of stuff might have to be scratch built (frame, airbag setup, link bars, etc.) but with this forum you won't have any problems finding helpful people and tutorials. Google some reference photos of the slammed trucks you like and all the different setups there are, and go from there. Good luck!

Here's an example of one I've done. This is a complete slammed gmc sonoma.

2011-12-23220705.jpg the frame was kit frame modified to be slammed. I used tube styrene to modify it. This one gives an example of the truck itself.I'm 16 and don't have much modeling experience and if I can do it anyone can.

2011-12-28110648.jpg

Here's an example of one I've done. This is a complete slammed gmc sonoma.

2011-12-23220705.jpg the frame was kit frame modified to be slammed. I used tube styrene to modify it. This one gives an example of the truck itself.I'm 16 and don't have much modeling experience and if I can do it anyone can.

2011-12-28110648.jpg

Not bad, not bad at all. When I was about 11-13 I used to just cut the frame and then glue the rims and tires into the fender wells...lol! Love that front end, envoy bumper? The grill looks killer just like that, as if everything was frenched in. If you got a build page I'm sure we'd all like to see it.

Not bad, not bad at all. When I was about 11-13 I used to just cut the frame and then glue the rims and tires into the fender wells...lol! Love that front end, envoy bumper? The grill looks killer just like that, as if everything was frenched in. If you got a build page I'm sure we'd all like to see it.

No build page, but its no where near done.I tubbed the bed, ut it needs fixed. the front bumper came in the kit and i liked how it looked so i glued it on, did some trimming, and bondoed it in. it will be getting everything on it shaved off and then some half round glued on to give it some profile of the bumper and the grill will get some screen behind it. i need to redo the front suspension and maybe a little to the rear, but maybe in the net couple of weeks ill bring it back out and re-begin working on it. just have to find the motivation.

heres some more:

2011-12-28104658.jpg

2011-12-23214708.jpg

i might cut out the tubs that i put in after this picture and put in some clear styrene.

2011-12-23215934.jpg

you can see i tried to make brackets and thats what i want to change. make it a little bit better.

And ps thanks for the compliment, means alot.

Edited by nboldman

i also need to make some airbags and put them in there

I think you have a great start, I would take what you have done already and use it as a mock up. while it's all glued in place build yourself some new brackets and some 4link bars. Then take some rubber o rings as your airbags with brackets and mount them over the axle. Clean and simple way. I did a quick search and found this setup similar to yours, good reference pic, might help you with the way the brackets and bag setup should look. It's the first photo on the left. http://www.mindlissmetal.com/automotive/links-locator/

Try starting a build page. People would love to see the progress and are always willing to chime in when you get stuck. Hope this helps motivate you a little, keep us updated.

I think you have a great start, I would take what you have done already and use it as a mock up. while it's all glued in place build yourself some new brackets and some 4link bars. Then take some rubber o rings as your airbags with brackets and mount them over the axle. Clean and simple way. I did a quick search and found this setup similar to yours, good reference pic, might help you with the way the brackets and bag setup should look. It's the first photo on the left. http://www.mindlissmetal.com/automotive/links-locator/

Try starting a build page. People would love to see the progress and are always willing to chime in when you get stuck. Hope this helps motivate you a little, keep us updated.

My biggest thing is getting supplies on my limited budget. id like to get some square tubing to match the frame, then the airbags anf then redo the whole back and front end. im jst out of stuff to do it and wont be able to get any for a little while. When i get home i will probably bring it out and start tearing things apart and/or start other things. I have been re inspired. I know what im wanting to do with the front end yet again i have to get more tube styrene.

My biggest thing is getting supplies on my limited budget. id like to get some square tubing to match the frame, then the airbags anf then redo the whole back and front end. im jst out of stuff to do it and wont be able to get any for a little while. When i get home i will probably bring it out and start tearing things apart and/or start other things. I have been re inspired. I know what im wanting to do with the front end yet again i have to get more tube styrene.

I get what your saying. I used to be the same way but being broke as hell i realized a lot of it can be scratch built from old/un-used parts or the old parts trees. Personally, I think the link bars look great and more realistic being round, but to each his own. As for the airbags, they are just little rubber o rings you can get from the hardware store with a hand full of change.

The only thing I'm going to be changing setup wise is the frame itself. I will still use round for the link bars just want to make them more realistic like in the picture. I think I have an old s10 frame I could cut up and use. When I get home from my dads in a week or so I will bring it out and see whay I can do B)

• 5 weeks later...