#1 Bill Eh?

Bill Eh?

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allen

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

This started back in March when I bought enough AMT/Johnny Lightning '69 Dodge Charger Daytona's, so that every student would have a kit and 2 kits would be for the required 'replacement' parts. This will mostly be a photo journal.

The starting point.

Posted Image

A couple of shots of me making Hemi Orange from Tamiya regular Orange.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I built up one engine ahead of time, and the fit was not so good. This would be problematic for my students. So the answer was to to do a mass assembly of all the engine blocks for them!

Posted Image

I did a lot of test fitting of parts in order to stay one step ahead of the kids.

Posted Image

Another area that had the potential for headaches were the holes in the chassis for the front wheels and the solid metal rear axle. These were all drilled out by hand. It does not help when you have not brought your pin vice to school!.

Posted Image

Here are a few random shots of kits on desks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Most kids had never built a model, let alone used an airbrush. This is the gear we used - Tamiya Spray-work.

Posted Image

Posted Image

To be continued...

#2 The70judgeman

The70judgeman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Shoberg

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

That's awesome. I remember the first thread when you asked about this kind of thing. Good luck to you and your students.

#3 Yahshu

Yahshu

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:Phil de la Cour

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

What a great way to introduce kids to the hobby, sure gives them a creative outlet & keeps them off the video games. Keep up the great work.

#4 Bill Eh?

Bill Eh?

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allen

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

The project wrapped up just a couple of days before the end of the school year, which was on June 28. I was afraid to try to put too many pictures in one posting, so I will do this in a couple.

#5 Intmd8r

Intmd8r

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Cosby

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

Awesome idea. You have to be the coolest grade school teacher ever. I once built a scale model of a space shuttle as part of a 7th grade project, but that is as close as I have ever came to such a concept. Surely it was nothing as cool as a '69 Charger. I look forward to seeing more pics!

#6 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,886 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

Wonderful post .. and idea! I'm looking forward to mega-documentation on this! :)