Studebaker Community Build...with a Meet & Greet in South Bend, IN?

• You cannot reply to this topic
117 replies to this topic

#41 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,309 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

Thanks to Crazy Ed, we now have a driver:

Posted Image

He'll be sitting low, with only part of his helmet sticking up above the top of the car. ^_^

Posted Image

He's a perfect fit, so thank you again, Ed. :)

I started assembling the turbine engine last night, and I think I've hit my first bump in the road. The engine is so compact, it looks like a 1/32 scale engine, and will probably be smaller than the driver figure. :blink: I may have to upgrade to a larger turbine engine (Huey 'copter, maybe?) to keep everything looking more proportionate, even though the Howmet turbine engine is 1/25 scale. Perhaps a body shortening is in order...

#42 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

Casey: DON'T DO IT! Turbine engines are known to be very powerful for their size. Anyone who knows them would notice right off the bat that the helicopter engine was W-A-Y too big for the car! Your Howmet powerplant is more than enough for a way-modified Avanti. Here's a thought for you - Maybe you could mount the engine further back in the chassis to make room for a provisional 2nd seat, to make the car eligible for international endurance racing?

BTW: I like the concept of a turbine in a Stude, given Andy Granatelli's association with both Studebaker and his turbine-powered Indianapolis racing efforts. A great tie-in.)

#43 Crazy Ed

Crazy Ed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Erbeck Jr.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

Casey, that "little" Turbine weighed less than 200 lbs and put out ~350 HP and over 600 ft lbs of Torque so there's plenty of go power in that little whiner ;)
And you are very welcome.

Edited by Crazy Ed, 02 August 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#44 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,309 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

When I read the Howmet's Continental turbine engine weighed 150 lbs I was thinking that had to be a typo, but it make sense given how simple the turbine engine concept is.

Good idea on the second seat, Jim, but I think with the asymmetrical Avanti hood styling element, a second seat might balance things out too much. I will likely end up keeping the Conti turbine, even if it "looks" small. I've still got a ton of chassis and suspension work to do, so maybe a compact, small engine wouldn't be such a bad thing to have to work around.

#45 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  • Full Name:Monty

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:38 PM

For those of you who're considering building AMT's Avanti kit or using its engine, here's a link to some up-close pics of the 1:1 J-5 engine. IIRC, AMT included parts to build the single turbo engine as well as this twin-turbo version.
http://www.studebake...1/dc230211.html

#46 Crazy Ed

Crazy Ed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:02 AM

Fun Link Monty. FWIW, the Studebaker used Paxton Supercharger(s) not Turbo's and the engines were id'd with the letter R not J

#47 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  • Full Name:Monty

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:50 AM

Fun Link Monty. FWIW, the Studebaker used Paxton Supercharger(s) not Turbo's and the engines were id'd with the letter R not J

Posted Image

Note to self: Posting while multitasking will make you look like an idiot. Stop it. Stop it now.

#48 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,309 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

That cowl you see poking up is probably going to be sunken a few scale inches down into the body *snip*

...or maybe not.

I decided to leave the original cowl panel in place to retain another stock design element, and so that the driver figure will appear to be sitting a bit deeper inside the body. Next, I glued the hood to the body and was pleased with the contour of the trunk/deck area and how the front fender rear quarter panel tops worked with the deck, so I kept the rear third of the car mostly stock. I did start to fill in the cowl vents and the driver's headrest fairing will be modified a bit, but it should retain its squarish shoulders if all goes according to what I have planned. ^_^

I glued both doors closed a few days ago, since the last pics were taken, so I'm committed to having a fully closed one-piece body shell at this point, with maybe a second piece which will cover the driver and engine compartment. I will add a full belly pan, too, once I have to body shell finalized.

I began forming the deck/hood from the cowl forward, but have yet to glue it in place. I wanted to be sure the blade-like fender tops were still a prominent feature and harmonized with the rear quarter panel tops, while making sure the deck/hood wasn't too flat. I am going to leave a subtle convex curvature in the deck/hood, so it works with what's going on at the rear of the car, only a bit less bulbous.

Here are some pics of where the car is at now:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I emphasized the shadows in this pic to help determine of the front fenders were where I wanted them to be:

Posted Image

From the top:

Posted Image

Time to lay down some more superglue. ;)

#49 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

Wow Casey, quite the undertaking on your Avanti transformation, very cool! B)

#50 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,309 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

After a few rounds of sanding, priming, then repeating, the body is finally coming into shape. The former hood/cowl bulge, which will now form the fairing behind the driver's head, needs to be a bit taller, and I have to add a matching/mirror image air duct to feed the turbine engine, but those will be tended to once the final engine and driver positions are established.

I took some late evening pics with poor lighting, so these'll have to do for now. -_-

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've tried to retain the stock body's hourglass shape, while still giving it a slight taper from back to front, and I'm happy with how the fender and quarter panel peaks work together (and are now symmetrical side-to-side), even though they aren't an exact match front-to-back. The slight;y mismatched front and rear wheel arches still bother me, so I think I need to "sweep back" the rear openings a bit more.

#51 Crazy Ed

Crazy Ed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:21 AM

That's coming along nicely Casey. FWIW rather than raising what's been turned into the drivers headrest might I suggest a simple hoop rollbar. It'd add the height with a period look.

#52 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,450 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:42 AM

That is looking very sharp. I have to agree on the wheel wells. They just don't look quite right to the eye. I think modifying them could make a big difference.

#53 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,432 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

Yep, I have always hated the Avanti wheel wells, but love everything else. Great work going on here.

#54 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,309 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:28 AM

FWIW rather than raising what's been turned into the drivers headrest might I suggest a simple hoop rollbar. It'd add the height with a period look.

That's kind of what I am going with, as the fairing behind the driver's head will not to very tall, and likely not as high as the top of the driver's helmet. I always liked the hoop on Marv Eldridge's Fiberglass Trends 'Vette roadster F/C, so I kind of emulated that here. I plan to position the driver so that his eyes are just over the top of the body, which will allow me to use a lower rollbar hoop like so:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I used two sections from the Avanti's original C-pillars to form the hoop, then laminated a thin piece of styrene on the inside for strength. I will thin it down a bit and blend it into the fairing/hood bulge once I get closer to determining the driver's final position, as it was left too tall for now:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The rear wheel arches are going to need some filler strips and sanding, as they are uneven side-to-side, and need more forward lean to be consistent with the front wheel arches.

#55 Crazy Ed

Crazy Ed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

You had mentioned using the C-Pillars for a Rollbar in your concept description. I wasn't sure how that'd work out. Turns out Very Well!

#56 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,309 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

I had been eying up a Star Wars kit at Michaels, hoping the exhaust outlets would work since there's no scale listed on the box. Today with a 50% off coupon in hand I decided to roll the dice and see if they were the right size:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Almost perfect. :) Now I have to clean up the headlight holes, make some beveled mounting rings for the outlets/tips, and drill the centers out.

#57 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,137 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

Holy Studejet, Batman! :o

Gee, Grandma, what big peepers you have!

B)

#58 Wicky

Wicky

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Full Name:Simon Wicks

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:49 AM

Hi guys , I'll join in here as there's plenty of time left , I wont be making the meet and greet though as it's a bit far for me . I'll have a dig through my kit stash , there's a salty dog and a miss deal in there somewhere .

#59 Wicky

Wicky

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:24 AM

I found the Salty Dog , so this will be my build

Posted Image

somewhere in there is a complete ( I hope ) kit .

Edited by Wicky, 04 September 2012 - 02:26 AM.

#60 Wicky

Wicky

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:40 AM

made a start on the body

Posted Image

for anyone unfamiliar with this kit it comes with a stock shell and a seperate roof panel , to build it by the instructions you're supposed to chop it through all the posts ( in the right place of course ) and glue the new roof on , problem is the replacement roof panel has no top for the windscreen or front quater lights ( box art actually shows it with the quater lights removed , but I wanted to keep them ) , so when I mocked it up like that it just looked wrong to me . My answer was to use the rear half of the replacement roof and the front half of the original and do a " propper " chop on it , looks a lot better like this I think , I also removed the moulded in windscreen wipers , they look way too long with the chop and I dont think you'd be using this thing in the rain anyway . still a ways to go on this yet , lots of filling and sanding to get the roof lookin right and ready for paint .

Edited by Wicky, 11 September 2012 - 12:36 AM.