46 replies to this topic

#41 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

Has anyone tried kitbashing this kit with the 1/24 Monogram '85 Trans Am, '91 Firebird, or similar to get a more detailed chassis and engine? The '91 is about to be reissued soon, too.

Posted Image

#42 Drewstang

Drewstang

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Full Name:Andrew Vogt

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

Ahhh. Its like the 80's all over again. Everytime I see one of these kits I smell the hobby store I went to when I was a kid.

#43 Scuderia

Scuderia

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Full Name:Lawrence Greene

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

That's not a bad idea Casey. I already had my 85 and 91 assembled before I got the Camaro kit so i didn't have a chance to test.

#44 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

Posted Image

Ahh the first glue kit I ever soloed. In my 9 year old mind Testors Gloss Yellow was a perfect match for that Gold. Yikes! Snagged one off eBay for $6 last year to give that another whack as an adult.

#45 robiwon

robiwon

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Cass

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:40 AM

I loved that '85 TA kit. Long gone, but I painted mine a met. maroon color. Came out real nice. I love the fact that whoever built the box art model fudge up the decals along the bottom and tried to fix them with gold paint! ^_^

#46 ZTony8

ZTony8

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Tony Buglione

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

This kit is a mixture of good and not so good.It's a typical mid 80s Monogram kit-simplified front suspension,engine compartment molded as an insert to the body,the upper engine/trans done in multiple pieces(two block halves and the heads/intake manifold done as a single unit) that are to be installed on the lower section of the engine trans which is molded to the chassis.

The biggest problem is one of detail accuracy in a few areas.One,the air cleaner assembly is a dual snorkel piece used only on the L69 H.O engine but the exhaust depicts the standard 305 engine system(different sized pipes,catalytic converter,and muffler).If this kit is truly supposed to represent an H.O. engined car then the rear fascia is lacking the badge for that engine.There are no "5.0 H.O" decals on the decal sheet either.

The interior has one major flaw-incorrect  front seats.The kit's seats are the Lear Siegler seats that were optional  only in 1982 and 1983 in the Z-28 and dropped after that.I think the kit was partially updated from an earlier year release.

The decal sheet includes the "Camaro" panels that were on the Lear Siegler seats.The body side striping is in colors that were only used on the color that the box art model is painted( a kind of metallic kiln red) so they're useless for accuracy for any other body color.

The kit is best used as a basis for a street machine or drag car project where parts will be swapped and factory stock accuracy isn't important or with some major cutting and parts swapping a more accurate stock Z-28 or even an IROC-Z could be built.The seats can be used in the Buick Grand National kit-they were optional on that car in 1984.

#47 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:49 AM

The interior has one major flaw-incorrect  front seats.The kit's seats are the Lear Siegler seats that were optional  only in 1982 and 1983 in the Z-28 and dropped after that. I think the kit was partially updated from an earlier year release.

Correct: http://www.modelcars...=61663&p=793654