#21 Volvoman

Volvoman

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Reeves

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

Hi Darren, i'm so glad that my Routemaster has given you some inspiration for you to build one and like yourself, I also own 2!!
Can you please tell me in what part of the build you are reffering to about the reddish-purple colour? Is it the actual body colour, the interior or the colour of the wheels? If you can let me know, then I will try to help you out with that one and any other questions that you may have then please feel free to ask me as I have plenty of reference books regarding these buses. Thanks again for your interest.

#22 Sixties Sam

Sixties Sam

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Full Name:Sam Stitzer

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

Great model! It's nice to see something really different done so well. Excellent work.
Sam

#23 Darren B

Darren B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Full Name:Darren B.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:03 AM

Hi Darren, i'm so glad that my Routemaster has given you some inspiration for you to build one and like yourself, I also own 2!!
Can you please tell me in what part of the build you are reffering to about the reddish-purple colour? Is it the actual body colour, the interior or the colour of the wheels? If you can let me know, then I will try to help you out with that one and any other questions that you may have then please feel free to ask me as I have plenty of reference books regarding these buses. Thanks again for your interest.

Mark, Yes im sorry to not specify, its actually an interior color, like the wall color, I know the inside roof and part of the sides are a creamish color, or ivory but the instructions are pointing out on the walls a redish purple, ill take a look at the instruction sheet tomorrow and get more specific on it and let you know, thank you for your help.

#24 Volvoman

Volvoman

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

Hi Darren, sorry for the delay in responding. The interior panels that you are refering to need to be painted a deep burgundy colour, I used a spray can for this as I was fortunate enough to find a very near perfect match whilst shopping at a home improvement store with the wife. (We were looking for wallpaper but this find was more important to me!!!) It does'nt have to be a gloss finish, more of a satin finish is what you are looking for to achieve a good result. You also state that the interior roof panels need to be painted cream, this is not the case. On the real buses, the interior roof panels were painted a gloss/satin yellow for back in the days when people were allowed to smoke on the bus, they would be easier to clean. I used Humbrol 69 Yellow from a spray can which gave the right effect but I suppose any gloss yellow would be sufficient to achieve the right results.
Hope this info is of some use to you and if you need any more help or any other questions you may have then please don't hesitate to ask.

#25 Darren B

Darren B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:52 PM

Mark, thank you very much that helps a great deal now with the body, I have a few questions for underneath now, like the engine color, and frame work. I bought the haynes book on the routemaster and all the picks most all engine related and undercarriage seems to be of a silver type color, would silver be a good choice?

#26 Guest_Johnny_*

Guest_Johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:25 AM

Wonderful build. I wonder what the exchange rate is between the dollar and the pound. That kit sells for 100 to 135 dollars here in the states. Might be cheaper to buy it online from overseas. I want to build one myself as it would be something a little different.

I was looking into that and from what I can figure the shipping was more than the kit and came out to be about what you would probably pay here.
I could be wrong. But sure would love to get one to build my self! :lol:

#27 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Full Name:Leo Bishop

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:32 AM

I was looking into that and from what I can figure the shipping was more than the kit and came out to be about what you would probably pay here.
I could be wrong. But sure would love to get one to build my self! :lol:

Wandered about that Found some on evilbay $99 free shipping

#28 Guest_Johnny_*

Guest_Johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:43 AM

Wandered about that Found some on evilbay $99 free shipping

If that is a right, that is a great deal from all I can find! Just checked and Tower Hobbies has it at 130 I believe with free shipping.

#29 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Full Name:Leo Bishop

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:16 AM

Yep my lhs wants $ 135

#30 Volvoman

Volvoman

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:54 AM

Hi guys, it just goes to show that you really do have to shop around for certain kits, I was very lucky when I purchased mine from my local hobby shop as my friend gets discount from Revell and he passes the discount on to all his customers and because he knew that I had wanted the Routemaster ever since it first appeared in the catalogue listed as a 1/32 kit, he gave me extra discount. Sometimes it pays to be loyal to your local hobby shop...!!!

Hi Darren, firstly I would like to say that like me, you bought the Haynes Routemaster book which has some excellent reference pics inside and you will find it very useful whilst you are building your bus. You are right in saying that the chassis and engine is mainly in silver, I must admit, I really did'nt do much to mine as I wanted to give the impression of a well kept bus or even a restored one so the chassis has'nt recieved much weathering at all except for the exhaust which was painted in Gunmetal and then weathered with Tamiya rust pastels. The gearbox was also painted in Gunmetal just to break up the vast expanse of silver but the Tamiya weathering pastels would work fine if you wanted to give the impression of a hard worked bus.As for what silver to use, I used Humbrol no11 silver from a spray can but if you can't get Humbrol paints, then I suppose you could use Tamiya Aluminium as I think the Tamiya silver would be a bit too bright for use on a chassis.

I really am pleased that I am giving you some input towards helping you with yours, it really would be great to see another one on the forum.Best of luck with your build and don't forget to message me with any more questions that you may have.

#31 Darren B

Darren B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

I will for sure, thank you so much for all the inputs, i still have several hours just cleaning up the seats and the seat frames, one last question for now is what did you paint the grab handles on the seat post and in the entrance to the bus? Silver? or something else? Thank you again for your time.

#32 Hary Bare

Hary Bare

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Bayer

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

Truely a manificent build! The Gilmore museum in Hickory Corners Mi. has one and other than the paint and advertising it looks like the real bus there. Nice!

#33 Volvoman

Volvoman

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:05 AM

Thanks for your comments Hary Bare, it's suprising to see that Routemasters can be seen all over he world, I have a handbook from a few years ago which tells you the wherabouts of all the surviving Routemasters in the world and who owns them.I will have to try and look this paricular one up.

Hello again Darren, you asked me about the grab handles on the seat frames ; to be honest all I did was paint them silver along with the seat frames at the same time. I wish you all the best with the seats, the decals were very time consuming and believe me, you will be glad when they are all finished!!

#34 Darren B

Darren B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

Mark, thank you again, yeah not looking forward to the decals on the seats,, and all the sanding on the seats and the seat frames is getting old as well but hopefully after that it wont seem to be so relenting!!! Again you have done an awesome job and I hope mine comes out to be as cool as yours. Thanks again for all your help.

#35 Volvoman

Volvoman

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:31 AM

Thanks again for your comments Darren and I'm glad to be of help. Don't forget to post some pics when she's done!!

#36 Darren B

Darren B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

Ill probably post them on my website, as for my last build i spent to much build time updating a thread that could have been used for building time, so check out my site from time to time. http://modelsinc.yolasite.com/