56 replies to this topic

#41 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

Long as I can build rep-stock, I'm happy.

Separate question- the sedan deliveries would have used car or truck colors, as they were different?

I can see a fleet of those for a nice big grocery store in Boston or Worcester; I think I just gave myself an idea for a build.

Charlie Larkin

Ford marketed sedan deliveries always in their commercial vehicle lineup. Most all of them were produced to the lowest trim level of their passenger car bigger brothers, but the '40 was the exception--bodywork was all from the Deluxe series of Ford, and built on the same production lines as 1940-41 Ford passenger cars, so virtally the entire color palette was available.

Having said that, the AMT '40 Ford sedan delivery is seriously inaccurate! The body shell is way too slab-sided, where the actual body is as porky and roley-poley as roley-poley gets. This was due to AMT Corporation's making the sedel body to fit the fender/running board tree as the '40 coupe and sedan, meaning that the model uses coupe/sedan rear fenders, which are markedly different in how they mate to the body shell than the sedan delivery (they look the same from the side, however).

Art

#42 James2

James2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Full Name:JamesRiesII

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

Stopped at the LHS on my way home for some paint. This was part of today's FedEx delivery. I don't know the history of this kit, but it has to be a repop.

Still it seems like it has some newer parts. Take a look, if you have any questions I'll try to answer them.

th_a1.jpgth_a2.jpgth_a3.jpgth_a4.jpg
th_a5.jpgth_a6.jpgth_a7.jpgth_a8.jpg

#43 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

Looking at the chrome trees, are the mags the original Keystones? Overall remembering this kit, its on of a few that look fantastic built out of the box.

#44 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

I buy other variations of this kit (non-Winfield types) whenever I can as oarts donors for old skool custom builds. Unfortunately some of the key parts I'm looking for are missing from this kit. I've indicated the differences vs. what I buy them for:

Tri-carb Nailhead manifold 

Nailhead front accessory drive and fan belt assembly to adapt to Revell nailheads

Nailhead "bunch of bananas" block-hugger manifold

Stock 40 Ford hubcaps and trim rings to fit standard AMT wheels as well as many Modelhaus steelies as well

Flipper hubcaps (missing from the Winfield kit - they appear to have substituted the Keystones)

Baby Moons (missing from the Winfield kit - they are in the position to right of the chrome rings in the photo above)

Desoto style ribbed bumpers (missing from the Winfield kit - they have substituted tubular style nerf bars)

Round 2 is due to release a 3 Stooges version early in 2013. I can only assume it will have the same parts as the Winfield version. I guess I'll still be hoarding the Ertl-era variants...

Edited by Bernard Kron, 15 December 2012 - 07:50 AM.

#45 thatz4u

thatz4u

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Full Name:Al Rich

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

mix this with a Revell 40 coupe frame w/ hot rod suspension,  nyuck, nyuck  :D

#46 James2

James2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Full Name:JamesRiesII

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

Here are some full size pix...

a3.jpg
a4.jpg
a5.jpg
a7.jpg

The mani is below the fan blade. The chrome is pretty good, not much flash but some of the attachment points are big and in bad locations.
That body will require some filing! Any way just thought I would share...

#47 Custom Hearse

Custom Hearse

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts
  • Full Name:Marshall Glasgow

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

Quote: Here's an original box. What does the "SC," which wraps around the AMT logo, stand for?

Probably Speed and Custom... The third pic you posted with the writing say's: "Gene recently moved from his Modesto, California shop to head AMT's Speed and Custom Division in Phoenix, Arizona..."

#48 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

Probably Speed and Custom... The third pic you posted with the writing say's: "Gene recently moved from his Modesto, California shop to head AMT's Speed and Custom Division in Phoenix, Arizona..."

You're right. The Piranha also features the "SC/AMT" logo, and it was built at that shop, too. Thanks.

#49 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,944 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:00 AM

Good to hear this one is coming back...I wondered if they had ruined the tooling a few years ago w/ that strange custom version.

1940_Ford_Woodie_Delivery_Sedan_AMT_3925

Edited by Greg Myers, 13 March 2013 - 06:02 AM.

#50 Custom Hearse

Custom Hearse

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts
  • Full Name:Marshall Glasgow

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

quote: Good to hear this one is coming back...I wondered if they had ruined the tooling a few years ago w/ that strange custom version.

That was the kit I used to build my Santa truck...

2012-11-21134223.jpg

2012-11-20103453.jpg

2012-11-20103441.jpg

2012-11-20103912.jpg

2012-11-20103714.jpg

If you change the wheels and lower it a bit, I think it makes a decent kit...

#51 azers

azers

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Full Name:Joe l. Spitzer

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

Is this the chrome tree from the rerelease or the original kit. I noticed the rerelease of the kit had those wheels also.

#52 azers

azers

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

This is picture of toronado wheels on the new release chrome tree. One came off but is still in package. IMAG0043_zps3bacc3bd.jpg

#53 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,944 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

I remember when this kit first came out and had those wheel covers. My thought and that of my model building friends was that it was just a custom gimmick put in the kit not unlike other weird wheel cover combinations.

At this time chrome reversed wheels were hot and mag wheels of the Cragar and American five spoke type were the ticket.$$$$

Model kits came with all kinds of different wheel treatments that were neither popular or used on the street.

I never saw anyone using that type wheel cover. Baby moons, fake knock off spinners, chrome rings with chrome lug nuts, and even chrome bullet cones were popular.

#54 azers

azers

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

Might be able to use the toronado wheel covers on my johan 70 eldorado kit for a different look.

#55 Greg L.

Greg L.

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Onlinetoomuch

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

The 3 Stooges version has the chrome one bar spinner and little moon hubcaps, it comes with with stock Ford Deluxe hubcaps too.

The episode with the 'hook line and sinker' logos is called 'Cookoo Cavailers'  It was made in 1940.  I found it on youtube today.

In that episode those decals/letters are on a 1928-29 model A panel truck, with a row boat on the roof.  I wonder where the 1:1 vehicle is today.  I would have to do some more 'research' of old episodes to figure out what the other decals might go to.

The kit also comes with 4 printed Firestone white wall tires.

Edited by Greg L., 18 March 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#56 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

The 3 Stooges version has the chrome one bar spinner and little moon hubcaps, it comes with with stock Ford Deluxe hubcaps too.

The episode with the 'hook line and sinker' logos is called 'Cookoo Cavailers'  It was made in 1940.  I found it on youtube today.

In that episode those decals/letters are on a 1928-29 model A panel truck, with a row boat on the roof.  I wonder where the 1:1 vehicle is today.  I would have to do some more 'research' of old episodes to figure out what the other decals might go to.

The kit also comes with 4 printed Firestone white wall tires.

That's super good news to me. I've been buying the older releases for the baby moons and flipper caps, as well as the DeSoto ribbed bumpers and the tri-carb Nailhead manifold and accessory drive/pulleys/generator to put on Revell Nailheads. This sounds like that version of the kit. Great to here it is in circulation again! They were starting to get pricey on flea-bay.

Edited by Bernard Kron, 18 March 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#57 flint1962

flint1962

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Sproat

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

I think they need to redo the dies for the 3 Stooges. I have never seen so much flash on a kit. Gonna take hours but will be worth it in the end.