Duntov

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Lucianno

"Mi sono perso"

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

The engineering work on the frame alone is major modeling effort..... very nice work here..... welcome and thanks for sharing.... hope to see more of this soon...

Regards
Bill (Duntov)

#142 ll Brandon ll

ll Brandon ll

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Full Name:Brandon Reid

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:53 AM

Great looking...very nice scratch building skill! Not sure what your plan was for that hood scoop, but maybe a tip of the hat to the ZR1 corvette and do some type of see through hood scoop, or a shaker style hole in the hood?

Ive not 100% decided yet, but that sounds like a pretty good idea. I might rough something out and see how it looks. I like the more hard angles, gives it a more aggressive look and that would fit the bill perfectly. Thanks for the comment and the suggestion.

The engineering work on the frame alone is major modeling effort..... very nice work here..... welcome and thanks for sharing.... hope to see more of this soon...

Regards
Bill (Duntov)

Thank you. Yes, it was a pretty big undertaking for me, it was my first time building one and when I decided to go that route, I honestly didnt think it through or I might not have went this deep into it. I didnt think about having to do the interior from scratch and things like that. When I had to start over, I was almost upset enough to trash the model but Im glad I didnt. I took what I learned from the first frame, some inspiration from some builders on here (Psychographic's front subframe), and I really think the result was worth starting over.

That said, the work on the interior has started. The frame is pretty much done. Anyone have any suggestions for mounting options for the frame into the body? As always, comments and criticism is welcomed and appreciated.

Edited by ll Brandon ll, 20 November 2012 - 03:54 AM.

#143 BluePopsicle

BluePopsicle

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Full Name:Jon Steele

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:24 AM

I can't even begin to give you suggestions on this. You have totally worked beyond my skill set and knowledge. Amazing job on this. I look forward to more.

#144 ll Brandon ll

ll Brandon ll

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Nah, brother. I dont believe that! Thanks for the comments guys. Hope to have an interior update soon.

#145 Psychographic

Psychographic

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • Full Name:David Gilmour

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

. I took what I learned from the first frame, some inspiration from some builders on here (Psychographic's front subframe), and I really think the result was worth starting over.

That said, the work on the interior has started. The frame is pretty much done. Anyone have any suggestions for mounting options for the frame into the body? As always, comments and criticism is welcomed and appreciated.

I get blamed for everything! :P

As for mounting the body, if you don't have the kit's floor/trunk or if it's part of the chassis, your going to have to make one, then you can mount your interior tub to the floor and your body to the interior. You could also make tabs on the inside of the body to mount to your floor/trunk.

This is my favorite Camaro body style, your doing a great job and I can't wait to see it finished.

#146 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Brackney

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

Hey man, that thing is looking better and better the 2nd time around. Sucks you had to re due it all but it looks well worth the trouble. Rather then lower the motor down, I too was going to suggest a shaker hood with that beautiful motor. All thou I really love the cowl hood you built for it the 1st time around, just went with the hard lines perfectly. I'm liking those mirrors as well.
I was also looking at the side view picture and thought it would look good if you were to fill the sides of the lower front spoiler like you did with the rear spoiler. Just a suggestion, anyways it's coming along real nice, keep it going. Can't wait to see it back in paint.

#147 relaxednoma

relaxednoma

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Full Name:scott benningfield

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

WOW. That chassis is outstanding!! Excellent work!

#148 ll Brandon ll

ll Brandon ll

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:04 AM

WOW. That chassis is outstanding!! Excellent work!

Thanks bro! It took two tries and alot of trial and error, but Im actually happy with it this time. Forever the perfectionist and super self critical, LOL!.

Edited by ll Brandon ll, 26 November 2012 - 05:04 AM.

#149 ll Brandon ll

ll Brandon ll

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:10 AM

Ok, so update again. It seems like everytime I change something, even small stuff, I have to redesign all kinds of stuff. So, that said, the rear suspension wasnt right for the new chassis. Originally I tried to just swinging the shocks out a little but it killed the articulation. That and the mounts were too weak. So, I redesigned, and simplified, the mounts. Stronger and cleaner looking. Also got the interior scratched out. I plan to add door card detail and what not. I had to build an entire interior, dash and all. So, Ive got the dash scratched out, the gauge pod built (which Im very proud of). The best part was I think the decals for the original guages will be a perfect fit. I didnt bother to check before I started LOL. Anyway, ON TO THE PICS!!

Front subframe completed and assembled:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Rear suspension redesign:

Posted Image

#150 ll Brandon ll

ll Brandon ll

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

Interior tub construction:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Dash:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Gauge cluster:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Thats all for now. More updates to come soon! Thanks for viewing, comments and criticism is welcomed and appreciated!

#151 relaxednoma

relaxednoma

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Full Name:scott benningfield

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

Thanks bro! It took two tries and alot of trial and error, but Im actually happy with it this time. Forever the perfectionist and super self critical, LOL!.

lol i hear you on that!

how did you go about doing the control arms?

Are those RB Motion coilovers? (sorry if I missed that)

#152 ll Brandon ll

ll Brandon ll

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:47 AM

lol i hear you on that!

how did you go about doing the control arms?

Are those RB Motion coilovers? (sorry if I missed that)

The control arms are just some 2mm rod bent in a U and stiffened. Then I took some appropriate size tube and glued it in for the rod ends. The coilovers are homemade. I have used the RB motion ones, and they are awesome, so that is a compliment indeed!

#153 ewaskew

ewaskew

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Full Name:Earl Miller

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

I like what your doing with this one.
Very nice scratch building all the way around.
This will be a nice Camaro when its finished.

#154 Road Runner 79

Road Runner 79

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts
  • Full Name:Pat Minarick

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Lookin' good !

#155 woody .

woody .

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Full Name:Jerry Wooddell

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Nice work keep it coming.

#156 ScaleModelAddict

ScaleModelAddict

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Girvan

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

Gauge cluster, and everything else, look wicked.

Edited by ScaleModelAddict, 26 November 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#157 BassMan90

BassMan90

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Full Name:Travis Greeson

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

Thanks for the kind welcome and kind words, guys. I appreciate it. That said, an update. Doesnt seem like much of an update, but this was ALOT of work. I hope to have a rolling chassis by tonight. This is my first time building a frame from scratch, so comments and criticism is welcome.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hello, I'm new to the "scratch building" stuff, I'm attempting a pro touring challenger.. could you (if possible) send me a blue print of your frame im trying to get ideas, I really love this project you're doing. thank you for at least reading - Trav.

#158 bandit1

bandit1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Full Name:Sean W Brady

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

I'm attempting a pro touring challenger..

Hey which challenger are you planning on building?...streetburner T/A?

#159 ll Brandon ll

ll Brandon ll

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

I can give you the styrene rod size and a basic guide, but there is no blueprint per say because your frame size, suspension layout, and different measurements will differ depending on the car you are building. Now, that said, I actually have a Challenger that I plan to build pro touring and I plan to give it a similiar treatment when this one is finished.

#160 BassMan90

BassMan90

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Full Name:Travis Greeson

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

It's an older model had it for years more or less just a parts-box build! it think its a 70 challanger i've made the frame but it being my first one its not exactly perfect but it'll work for my first one only thing i can do is learn from that right?

Edited by BassMan90, 28 November 2012 - 05:27 PM.