Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Full Name:It really is Gluhead

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

Thanks, guys.

G, thanks again for the windshield. Without it, this one would still be sitting in the box, half done!

Johann - I think it's similar to those, but with the directional shift instead of the magnification. I tried to capture the effect in a movie file, but this camera's video isn't quite clear enough to get it. In person, it's definitely a bit of a trip. lol.

I actually started this build in 2002...not sure if Dr. Cranky was around the hobby then. I've always been weird enough on my own. :D

Randy - Thanks. Yeah, I've grown real fond of mixing in Tamiya's aircraft colors on my builds. They've got a great sheen and compliment the Testors synth laq colors real nice.

#42 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

Finally making some headway on this one. This stuff makes me go cross-eyed!

Trying to use restraint and just do enough detail to bring it to life. Spark plug wires were done a while back, so this round I'm tackling the carbs, stacks, throttle linkage and fuel lines. Those bits of orange holding the linkage together will get a little steel poked onto them...but I had to use a contrasting color of stretched sprue to be able to see what the heck I was doing. lol. The super-trendy clear red fuel lines are stretched taillight sprue. The black fittings are wire insulation and will get dabbed with gold. Stacks are just aluminum tubing, slice-cut and spin-polished with a little stop light red to give the whole thing another little kiss o' color.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#43 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,409 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

Loving that engine, and its details. Nice.

#44 Randy D

Randy D

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Ditton

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:04 AM

Hi Chris, The motor looks great! Really cool to see a detailed six.

Randy

#45 Modelbuilder Mark

Modelbuilder Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Hubbard

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

Finally making some headway on this one. This stuff makes me go cross-eyed!

Trying to use restraint and just do enough detail to bring it to life. Spark plug wires were done a while back, so this round I'm tackling the carbs, stacks, throttle linkage and fuel lines. Those bits of orange holding the linkage together will get a little steel poked onto them...but I had to use a contrasting color of stretched sprue to be able to see what the heck I was doing. lol. The super-trendy clear red fuel lines are stretched taillight sprue. The black fittings are wire insulation and will get dabbed with gold. Stacks are just aluminum tubing, slice-cut and spin-polished with a little stop light red to give the whole thing another little kiss o' color.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yeah, sometimes that restraint gets tossed out, which is why I tend be be so slow sometimes! LOL

#46 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:12 AM

Thanks, guys. Yep, Mark! lol. I'm not struggling with it too much this time. Maybe I'm getting lazy in my old age. :P

After fully paint-detailing the grill, I just wasn't happy with the open areas just being black. So last night I went into masochist mode and opened it up. I've already trashed one of these grills years ago by getting it too warm in the process and ending up with a farmer grill (wavy and and all whacked lookin' heheh), so this time I was extra careful and really took my time. It paid off. Now I just need to keep my fingers crossed that I get some good results with the alclad. I've never developed a real good feel for the stuff, so wish me luck. :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#47 Modelbuilder Mark

Modelbuilder Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Thanks, guys. Yep, Mark! lol. I'm not struggling with it too much this time. Maybe I'm getting lazy in my old age. :P

After fully paint-detailing the grill, I just wasn't happy with the open areas just being black. So last night I went into masochist mode and opened it up. I've already trashed one of these grills years ago by getting it too warm in the process and ending up with a farmer grill (wavy and and all whacked lookin' heheh), so this time I was extra careful and really took my time. It paid off. Now I just need to keep my fingers crossed that I get some good results with the alclad. I've never developed a real good feel for the stuff, so wish me luck. :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dude, that is fantastic looking! With the Alclad, be sure to shoot it at an angle. Gregg actually posted a short video under modelcarsmag over on youtube. I think there is a link from the forum somewhere as well.

#48 Pumba

Pumba

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Full Name:Sean Michael Beggs

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

looks sweet!!

#49 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

Thanks, guys.

Mark, thanks for the tip! I went and found it on the tube...I'd never heard to do that before and I definitely have been shooting straight on. I'll let ya know how it works out the next time we have a warmish day to spray.

#50 Blindside09

Blindside09

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Full Name:Nathan Wieland

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

This is awesome!

#51 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

Man, the grille really makes a difference and I'm sure it's going to be gorgeous with the Alclad. Very nice. Your wood bed floor looks killer too. Nothing looks like wood better than wood.

#52 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

Thanks, Nathan, Bill.

I think with one more coat I can prob'ly say that I got away with it. This is just one run at it. The pics pick up every little glint that dried on the way from the gun to the grill...lol...it looks a little cleaner without so much dang light on it. I haven't buffed it yet but I'll brush those down then buff after the final coat. Should be good. Then I'll see if I can't screw it all up when I black out the supports and run some blue on the divider. :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

#53 Modelbuilder Mark

Modelbuilder Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

that turned out GREAT!

#54 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

That's one of my favorite grills of all time ... and what you did just makes it SHINE! Very nice!!! :)

#55 MachinistMark

MachinistMark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • Full Name:Mark fulmore

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:26 AM

Awesome

#56 Pumba

Pumba

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Full Name:Sean Michael Beggs

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:30 AM

i actually liked it white. matched the tyres. just my opinion. nice work on the grill though. cant wait to see it finished

#57 gonzo64nova

gonzo64nova

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Gonzo

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

Nice job on the 41! I really like your choice of colors. Do the wide whites and steelies come with that kit??

#58 crazyrichard

crazyrichard

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Full Name:richard gelens

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

deeply impressed here those fuellines are awsome , so is the build and grille
loving it ")