Model Cars Magazine Forum

I was cruising around on eBay a couple weeks ago when I came across this Monogram Piper Tri Pacer kit. It struck a chord with me so I bought it. The kit has a copyright date of 1957 and I remember building several of them back in those days. (I've sorta always had a thing for general aviation aircraft)

Anyway, this was a lot of fun and nice change of pace from cars. I had no intention of building an IPMS National contest winner, just wanted a nice, out of the box, model. The only problem I had were the decals. This was an original kit and being that old they just wouldn't work at all so I've been cruising around on aircraft modeler boards and searching the web for a company that makes FAA registration number decals for models.

piper01-vi.jpg

The paint is Testors Light Ivory and Guards Red.

piper02-vi.jpg

Monogram did a Cessna 180 as a companion to this kit. Building this was so much fun I may have to get one of those too! :lol:

• 1 year later...

Depending on how bad the Decals are, you could Scan them with an all in one printer and print them on Decal Paper.

I remember my elder Brother building one of these back in the early '60s. I hadn't seen one in years. Then I came across one of these back in '90. I built it using a DupliColor Buick White and VW Red. I didn't like it being Tail Heavy so, I took a Lead Wheel Balancing Weight and cut, filed and carved it to look like the Engine. I glued the Hood(?) in place and it looks fine. I had no problems with the Decals.

I skipped the Hunters with the Dead Mountain Lion.

If I can only remember which box I packed it in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

In an even bigger scale...many years ago the Japanese company MARUI did a Cessna 172 and a Piper Cherokee in oddball 1/36 scale.  Two Cessna 172 kits were released, with either wheels or floats. These sometimes show up on eBay.  A Skyhawk recently sold there for $93.10, with 18 bids.

marui_136_172.jpg

marui_136_cher.jpg

Edited by Mike999
error