#41 heepey

heepey

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Full Name:Dan Pleier

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

Here is the recoiless set in the back of a J10 that I did some time ago.
Posted Image

This kit is a very old tool. I have one that I built in 1969 and rebuilt in the 90s. Depending on which issue you have the parts may be very good or very bad.

#42 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts
  • Full Name:Austin Tyler

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Quick question,is the kit supost to have the surrey version decals with it?Also the kit I picked up includes a version of turbine wheels,what the heck????

#43 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

I have a Pre-Hogan's issue called "Bushwacker" that had Large diameter Off road tires & the Turbine like mags.

Most likely they are left over from that issue.

Until the Hogan's re-issue, I left it at the build point waiting to find "Stock"/Military tires/rims for it.

#44 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Quick question,is the kit supost to have the surrey version decals with it?Also the kit I picked up includes a version of turbine wheels,what the heck????

Yes, it does:

362.jpg

#45 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts
  • Full Name:Austin Tyler

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

The wierd part is I only have military decals for it and I haven't found the caps it shows on the surrey version along with the back seat.I'll take pics later.

#46 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

I just pulled out my "Hogan's Heros" issue. It has ONE of the Custom Cone shape

Hubcaps shown for the Surrey version, but doe Not have the rear seat!!!

MPC/Round2 did not do a complete survey on the tooling.

The Custom hubcap is centered between 2 pair of the Deep-dish spoke rims from the previous

"Bushwacker" Hot-Rod Military issue There is no part number for it.

Also, the Hogan's issue does not call out part numbers on the instruction sheet

even though most parts are numbered on the sprue.

Depending on weather, I can try to get some pics of the kit.

(I take my pic's outside due to age of camera 3.1MP)

The Decal sheet DOES include the Surrey markings. so wonder why the forgot them this time.

Edited by Edsel-Dan, 03 January 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#47 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Sorry, I assumed they were included since the box art was changed since the last (HH) issue. 

The back seat is present in this newest issue, and I see one unplated wheel cover as shown on the surrey version among the parts in this YouTube review: 

#48 my80malibu

my80malibu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Full Name:Gabriel Soto

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

here are the parts from the kit
IMG_0331.jpg

IMHO that Thompson will never work

#49 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

That one tree of parts is Chrome in the Hogan' Hero's issue.

Looks like the back seat is not called out in the instruction this time too,

but is there.

Yea, The second gun would more likely kill the one trying to shoot it than hit what it is aimed at!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan, 04 January 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#50 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Just wandering, i know its a different type jeep, but is this a better one than the monagram jeep. Does it go togeather better

#51 greymack

greymack

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Full Name:George Mack

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Hi guys just a few questions reguarding the MPC world war ll Jeep. Is the kit based on the willys or ford jeep?Does the kit have a 4 or 6 cylinder? Also are the tires in this kit era correct?

#52 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Willys. It has the Go-Devil 4 cylinders. The wheelsand tires are incorrect for a WW2 or Korean War era military Jeep, the wheels are '47 and later, with the semi-floating rear hubs. The tires are the old Goodyear Suburbanite style snow tires.

#53 AzTom

AzTom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Allen

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:11 AM

Willys. It has the Go-Devil 4 cylinders. The wheelsand tires are incorrect for a WW2 or Korean War era military Jeep, the wheels are '47 and later, with the semi-floating rear hubs. The tires are the old Goodyear Suburbanite style snow tires.

It does have the Go-Devil 4 cylinder engine?  The box says six cylinder.

The 4 cyl is what we need to convert the 41 Willys coupe  to a stock version

#54 hjracing

hjracing

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Full Name:Josť Antonio HernŠndez Medina

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

The 4 cyl is what we need to convert the 41 Willys coupe  to a stock version

Hello AzTom.

I have one that I'll don't use, so if you want we can trade for a Chevy V8. I can give you all the custom parts for the engine.

Greetins.

#55 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:52 AM

That's a typo. The kit contains the four-cylinder engine.

#56 oldcarfan

oldcarfan

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Full Name:Gary

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

Don't know how accurate it would be, but the 1/35 MASH 2 1/2 ton trucks tires can be made to fit the AMT MPC wheel backs with a little hogging out.

#57 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

The MPC Hogan's Heroes/World War II Jeep is a mix-or-match sort of kit:  It is, however, a decent M38 Jeep, which was itself a miltarized version of the CJ-2A that Willys-Overland introduced in early 1946, cashing in on the popularity of the legendary WW-II MB Jeep built in large numbers (over 400,000) for the US Army by both Willys and Ford Motor Company (the latter under license from Willys-Overland).  Under the skin, the CJ-2A and the M38 (built for the US Army for use during the Korean Conflict, by which time the available MB's were very much clapped out) were the same chassis, engine and driveline of the MB, but the bodywork, while similar-looking is quite different.

MPC's decision to use civilian wheels and Goodyear Suburbanite snow tires was probably a cost issue--more than likely at the time (late 1960's) they could not see much market for an accurate military Jeep of the Korean era, and a tire tool does cost considerable money.  After all, the Hogan's Heroes tie-in was very typical of movie/TV model car subjects of the era--most were strictly "one-hit wonders", aimed at 12-yr old boys--and who among US had any accurate crystal ball with which to see the potential popularity of such a kit more than 40 years later?

As for the MPC "Korean War Jeep", that kit represents, except for wheels and tires, a Kaiser-Willys M38A2, which was the first of the "round nose" Jeeps--essentially all new bodywork on the same basic MB/CJ-2A/M38 chassis.  The M38A2 came out too late for Korea, production and delivery having started in 1954 (with a two-piece, split windshield), and was delivered to the US Army, as well as most NATO and SEATO countries, and served well into the Vietnam War.  In 1955, it was "civilianized" as the CJ-5, with the newly developed Kaiser Jeep Hurricane 4cyl engine--an F-head unit.  The Hurricane used an overhead valve head for intake only, exhaust valves remaining in the block.  It was based on the then 30-yr old Willys Go-Devil engine which was designed for Willys' low-priced car of teh middle 1920's, the Whippet.  MPC's kit makes also the short wheelbase CJ-5, which was built first around the Hurricane 4, and in the mid-60's could be had with the former Buick V6, which tooling and rights had been bought by Kaiser for a song when Buick dropped the V6 and opted for a small block V8 for the 1964 Buick Special.  AMC, of course, bought out Kaiser's automobile and truck operations in 1969, and a couple of years later, they stretched the CJ-5 chassis to accept the then-new 7-main bearing AMC OHV inline 6.

The 105mm Recoilless Rifle also is not a WW-II weapon, having been developed in the late 1940's, and was first used in Korea.  They were mounted on M38's, and certainly on M38A2's.  The post-mounted machine gun, however, is an appropriate weapon for WW-II through Vietnam.

If you want a World War II US Military MB Jeep, there are two kits in our favorite scale range (both are 1/24 scale), one from Italeri (introduced in the middle 1980's, and the Hasegawa kit that was brought out about 10 years ago or so.  

Art

#58 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

Hi guys just a few questions reguarding the MPC world war ll Jeep. Is the kit based on the willys or ford jeep?Does the kit have a 4 or 6 cylinder? Also are the tires in this kit era correct?

There are only detail differences between the Willys MB, and the Ford GPA--the Ford version actually having been the Willys built under license from Willys during WW-II.  Willys-Overland had never built more than 30,000 cars in any one year prior to the war, while of course, Ford was used to producing hundreds of thousands of cars annually, so the US War Production Board pretty much forced Willys-Overland into making that deal, in order for the War Department to get the huge numbers of Jeeps the Army required.

Art

#59 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Actually, the GPA, Yes from Ford only, was the Amphibian version!

I looked for a good picture of the 1/25 scale Modelik kit, but can not find one.

Here is a Small scale set of 3 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co...s=Ford Jeep GPA

#60 ratrodder51

ratrodder51

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Full Name:woody brzen

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

Has anyone looked inside new box? Is it just h h one in retro box? that one only had half of the army parts. incomplete plow ,many org parts missing. Woody