1950 Chevy Pickup - A Detail Freak's Dream Truck!

• You cannot reply to this topic
156 replies to this topic

#41 Randy D

Randy D

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Ditton

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

Hi Mike,

I'm with Alyn, love the seat!!!

Randy

#42 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

Thanks guys, I worked my arm off thinning that leather for this, I was happy it looked in scale when I finally got it done!

Nice project and work so far Mike! Something you may want to consider is installing the filler panel at the bottom rear of the cab, smooth it and repaint it. It's not a seperate piece on the real truck. I don't know why AMT engineered this kit like that. It may have to do with the interior going inside the cab. IMO, the joint at the bottom of the cab ruins the look of this kit.

Roger, I've found that they made it a separate piece just for the reason you started, it allows the interior bucket to get in the cab. Mine fits nicely, but I'll check it again just to be safe!

#43 gpugh1976

gpugh1976

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Pugh

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:08 AM

Subscribed! I'm loving this one!

#44 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:49 AM

Thanks guys, I worked my arm off thinning that leather for this, I was happy it looked in scale when I finally got it done!

Roger, I've found that they made it a separate piece just for the reason you started, it allows the interior bucket to get in the cab. Mine fits nicely, but I'll check it again just to be safe!

Having built three of these I've found that I can install the lower filler panel before paint and still manoeuver the interior to fit. If you decide to do this and repaint it, it would be a good time to shave the door handles. (Just a reminder) Your attention to detail is top notch! Oh and the key to installing the interior this way is not to install the fire wall untill after the interior is installed.

Edited by rmvw guy, 23 August 2012 - 03:52 AM.

#45 Davewilly

Davewilly

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Wilmore

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

Nice looking truck...I like the bed work you did.

#46 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

Ron, thanks for that info, if I get the chance tomorrow night, I'll see how well mine fits, and go from there. I've only used filler on the dash so far on this one, the filler pieces for the front and rear fenders were just glued in place and sanded smooth, maybe I can pull the same stunt with that piece too!

#47 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

Since I'm too freakin' tired to work on this tonight, I'll just post a pair of pics of the bed mocked -up. The straight pins were glued in place and the fenders were glued to the sides of the bed, then it was all slapped together for a few pics, enjoy!

50ChevyPU123-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU124-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike, 29 December 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#48 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

MIke, my friend, that bed is spectacular. Other than adding carriage bolts to the bed strips, I don't how you could improve on it. The color of the wood is perfect Everything just works so well together.

#49 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:24 PM

Alyn, I'm still trying to find something on the cheap for the bolts, now I'm obsessed with adding them to it!

#50 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

How about rivets from Tichy Train or Grandt LIne ?

#51 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,622 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:37 AM

Or more of those pinheads? The box looks terrific.

#52 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:44 AM

You are making this look so real I can't believe my eyes, excellent work so far, best I've seen on this truck ever! :wub:

#53 Shardik

Shardik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Full Name:Johann H. Buerfeind V

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

I am inspired! You've motivated me to get back to work on my truck (but you've set the bar so high!)

#54 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

Alyn, you may have solved this for me, I'll check at my LHS tomorrow, they have a massive selection of Train stuff!

Jim, I'm a 1/2 step ahead of you, and they're way too big unfortunately...

You are making this look so real I can't believe my eyes, excellent work so far, best I've seen on this truck ever! :wub:

I am inspired! You've motivated me to get back to work on my truck (but you've set the bar so high!)

Ron, Johann, you're making my head swell, stop it..OK, not quite yet...Yeah, now I can't get through the doorway, just right! :D

Johann, get yours out and just enjoy building it, I know I'm loving this one so far! I never try to set the bar anywhere, I just build for myself, and push my limits occasionally. This one's going to have a few firsts for me, one of which you can already see in the wooden bed, there will be a few more firsts coming later! And I test-fit the filler piece at the bottom of the cab, it's not a bad fit, but I'll post some pics tomorrow night when I get home from work and you can judge for yourself, I really don't want to risk another re-paint of the cab, it looks really good right now!

Edited by Custom Mike, 24 August 2012 - 05:44 PM.

#55 Joker

Joker

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts
  • Full Name:James Scott

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

Absolutely gorgeous !

#56 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Full Name:It really is Gluhead

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:49 AM

Yep, lookin' good. Love the colors.

#57 slammedi'am

slammedi'am

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • Full Name:Shane Harrold

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

Very nice!

#58 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

Thanks guys, it's looking nice from this side of the monitor too, so I'm very happy! And Alyn, I picked up some tiny bolts from my LHS yesterday. They didn't have any rivets so I'm going to be sanding some tiny bolt heads down today, wish me luck!

Now for a bit more work on the seat! Since the upper part of the seat is visible through the rear window, I had to fill in the hole in the back side of it. I added two strips of angle stock, cut a filler from .010 sheet styrene, and got to work on thinning another piece of leather. A bit of Detail Master Krome Foil was added to the arms, then gluing them down to the seat got me ready for the new seat back to be installed. A bit of Craft Bond was sprayed on the filler piece, and now we have a completed seat!

50ChevyPU133-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU135-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU136-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU139-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU141-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike, 29 December 2012 - 06:13 PM.

#59 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

And now just some random stuff I worked on yesterday. The filler piece at the back side of the bed has been modified to fit the new wood bed, a bit of paint later today will finish it off. Then I test fit the filler at the base of the cab, it's a good enough fit that I'll just glue it down, if I ever build another one of these, it'll be molded in. I'm not willing to chance re-painting the cab again, so I'll live with a filler panel that doesn't exist on the 1:1 truck. And finally, a pair of steering wheels, I'm leaning toward the one on the right, we'll see once I get going on the rest of the interior!

50ChevyPU142-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU143-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU144-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU145-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU146-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike, 05 July 2014 - 06:19 PM.

#60 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

Great work on that seat Mike! Very impressed! Are you going to add piping to cover the seam?