#1 Modelbuilder Mark

Modelbuilder Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Hubbard

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

I did not intend this to be a long project, but something to have going on while working on C-N-Things.

This is some of my first efforts at full detail weathering beyond simple additions using pigments primarily.

I am not at all fond of this kit, the Ertl 911 Emergency van. I had two kits both of which were missing the taillights. I did not do a folder to start with, so here are some shots of where I am at.
Posted Image
The decals were made for me about 10 years ago when I first decided to do this project as a simple curbside build, I wish I could recall who it was so I could thank them again.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

the exhaust was shot with Metalizer, the Rustall, then Valejjo pigments
Posted Image

#2 01blueedge

01blueedge

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Full Name:Josh Crolley

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

good job so far on the van I like the weathering

#3 Modelbuilder Mark

Modelbuilder Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

Thanks Josh, more shots soon.

I am hoping to learn a bit on this build.

#4 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

The weathering is nice and subtle ... very nice.

Interesting that this version has the two opening side door rather that the slider .. or did you do that? I had to scribe those on my daughter's van I've been on forever!

#5 Intmd8r

Intmd8r

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Cosby

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

Mark, I fell your pain with the taillights. I can BS and scratch build almost anything missing from a kit, but the taillights. Why does it always have to be the taillights!?! To complete my Cobra build, I'm going to use some clear plastic from an old fruit container out of my recycling box and paint it with Testors "Stoplight Red". Hopefully you can come up with somethig to substitue as well if you haven't already.

Good luck!

#6 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

KEWL!!!

I dig the logo :lol:

#7 Modelbuilder Mark

Modelbuilder Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

Thanks Mike, I have really only done minor weathering before like Rustall but hope to learn a lot on this one. The side doors came like that. Here is the base kit I started with, a poor kit really. Very few redeeming qualities.
Posted Image

Steve, TWO of the same kits I had sealed, were missing the tail lights. I was going to carve them from a clear red toothbrush, but believe it or not, could not find one of those anymore! LOL They are all now those funny comfort grips etc. Ended up pouring in resin I tinted red into the sockets the lights go into, but I do not like the results, will have to keep trying.

Jeff, glad you do sir. I know it is immature, but I get a kick out of word play like that.

#8 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,001 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:40 AM

:lol: Love the business name!
You might still be able to find plain old toothbrushes with clear red handles at 'discount/thrift' places like Dollar General.

#9 hgbben

hgbben

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Barth

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:50 AM

I built one of these kits about 10 years ago and it did not turn out good. Your looks great. Can't wait for the finished van.

#10 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Full Name:It really is Gluhead

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

Heheh...yep, Mark...you gotta keep going on this one. :D

#11 Modelbuilder Mark

Modelbuilder Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

Chuck, I need to look again. I do have some resin in there now, but it did not turn out like I wanted.

Ben, I should have finished pics up this weekend or before. Thanks for looking!

Glue, thanks for checking in on me man.

#12 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

I love the name and if my chimney ever gets clogged I'll call them to wipe my ash lol :D I like the little details like the cassette tape on the dash. My son didn't know what one was and since I showed him he has been wearing my C.C.R. tape out. He
thinks it's the coolest thing since
sliced bread. Great job on what sounds like a poor quality model.

Edited by mnwildpunk, 21 August 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#13 Modelbuilder Mark

Modelbuilder Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

I love the name and if my chimney ever gets clogged I'll call them to wipe my ash lol :D I like the little details like the cassette tape on the dash. My son didn't know what one was and since I showed him he has been wearing my C.C.R. tape out. He
thinks it's the coolest thing since
sliced bread. Great job on what sounds like a poor quality model.

a few more details made it in. more pictures for the finished project by this weekend. Thanks for your input

#14 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:35 AM

Here's what I had to go thru to get the two doors on my build! Had to remove the heavy slid molding at the roof, add a door handle cut from another van body, add hinges cast from the from another body.
Posted Image

And, for your tail lights ... the spare body I used for my door has tail lights glued on. It was a built spare I got for parts. I'll be happy to send them to you .. just PM me your address. I have to work a little to get them unglued .. I'll cut the body up if I have to!

#15 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Black

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:29 AM

If Mike can't successfully remove those taillights in tact, I have a thought. If these have taillight panels similar to the AMT Dirty Donnie Chevy, there is an easy solution. Foil the indentions and use clear red on acetate or any other spare flat clear plastic.

Edited by Skydime, 22 August 2012 - 04:36 AM.

#16 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:31 AM

I was afraid of prying the tail light out as It could chip the side, so I just ground away from the back and they just popped out! :) As you can see, the fromt door handle was already cut out to mount in my daughter's van, so body was already shot.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The left one had a little primer over spray so It's soaking in the purple pond. Soon as I get you're addy they're off. And, I don't want anything, just remember when you can help someone else here. Someone just sent me the rear side lights for my van also ... it works. :)

Edited by Foxer, 22 August 2012 - 04:35 AM.

#17 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:38 AM

This is a cool project! The worst part about this kit is the incorrect grille that comes in it. It has the old single round headlights when it should have the quad rectangular headlights.

#18 JamesW

JamesW

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • Full Name:James WastaWTF

Curb Appeal M.C.C. President

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:12 AM

Ash Wipers! Gotta love it. Now just imagine Sean Connery saying it. :lol:

#19 Modelbuilder Mark

Modelbuilder Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

Here's what I had to go thru to get the two doors on my build! Had to remove the heavy slid molding at the roof, add a door handle cut from another van body, add hinges cast from the from another body.
Posted Image

And, for your tail lights ... the spare body I used for my door has tail lights glued on. It was a built spare I got for parts. I'll be happy to send them to you .. just PM me your address. I have to work a little to get them unglued .. I'll cut the body up if I have to!

I really like your build,thanks for the link.I like the effort you out into the replica aspects. Thanks also for the offer on the tail lights, but as this was intended to only be a curbside I just used some tinted resin. This was just supposed to give me something to finish withiut too much fuss. hope everyone enjoys looking

#20 Modelbuilder Mark

Modelbuilder Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

I was afraid of prying the tail light out as It could chip the side, so I just ground away from the back and they just popped out! :) As you can see, the fromt door handle was already cut out to mount in my daughter's van, so body was already shot.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The left one had a little primer over spray so It's soaking in the purple pond. Soon as I get you're addy they're off. And, I don't want anything, just remember when you can help someone else here. Someone just sent me the rear side lights for my van also ... it works. :)

cool, but with mine being the Dodge, not sure they would be convertible anyway. I will use that method for removal for a future reference tho!