Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,188 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

I just don't get why people are so excited over this... IT'S WALMART! :lol:

I don't get it either...I avoid those stores like the plague...

#82 robertw

robertw

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

I just don't get why people are so excited over this... IT'S WALMART! :lol:

I agree with you. I'd sooner drive further and shop at my LHS and be able to get everything I need plus have a better selection of kits even if I have to pay more. Walmart is never going to have everything my hobby requires so supporting the LHS is and always has been of higher priority to me then getting a few cheap bargains at Wally World. BTW, my nearest Walmart is a hundred miles away and LHS one hundred and fifty miles.

#83 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:45 AM

I'll buy a model at any store- the money does get back to the manufacturer in the long run. If and when the Wal Marts in my area (Charlotte 'burbs) do have kits in stock, I'll buy them if only out of convenience- if my LHSs would sell household goods and other things that we purchase often, I would shop and buy there as much as I do Wal Mart. I would also visit the LHSs if they were closer to my home. The nearest Wal Mart is only 7 miles away and their hours are better for our work schedules; the LHSs are at least 15 miles away and their hours are limited. Every time we pass a nearby shopping center, group of stores, strip mall or what-have-you that's under construction I do hope that one of the occupants will be a well-stocked hobby shop.

#84 mademan

mademan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Mathers

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:57 AM

Walmart here does not carry Models.....Yet, fingers crossed. However I do most of my kit/supply buying online, Mostly ebay. I did however buy 2 cases of kits from the LHS a few months back ( revell 2010 Camaro ss, and Revell Lowrider Cadillac) and even buying 24 kits..... the individual price was high. However If Id have bought that volume online , shipping would have been more. I like to support the local guys as much as possible , but when the pricing is so out to lunch, that I can buy online and with shipping its still almost 10.00 less for a kit, then why spend the money here. I mean on eBay right now, I would get a Revell 2010 Camaro SS for 16.98 and 7.50 shipping, so under 25.00 ... to buy one at the shop here is 31.99, same with the Cadillac lowrider. Heck the Moebius kits like the Hudson and Chrysler are 32.99-35.99 at the LHS.....on ebay around 20.00

#85 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

Wal*Mart isn't selling them for $5 this time around, and pretty much inline with my LHS prices. Nobody is forcing anyone to shop there, but for some people it might be the only tangible way to buy a model in person. Plus since they aren't hosing down Revell & Round 2 on prices, they bought thousands of in production kits giving nice injections of capital to both companies. That can't be a bad thing can it?

I don't understand how the hobby shops that charge full MSRP can stay in business against the internet. They must have some serious overhead expenses to justify charging a 90% markup on their inventory.

#86 mademan

mademan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Mathers

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

I was at the LHS today and he said I had a bill oweing....turns out he had acciedentally ordered an extra case of the Lowrider Cadillacs, which I already bought a case and a bit of. 29.99 shelf price, told me if I took the case he could do 25.00 each, which is 1.00 over cost...... Im not calling the guy a liar, but im pretty sure ive seen papers on his counter showing cost was around 9.00/unit

#87 Von Don Koolkat

Von Don Koolkat

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Full Name:Don 'Koolkat' Graham

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

It is my understanding that with models, wholesale is generally 50% of retail, generally with a 'buy-in' much higher than most modelers would care to spend.

#88 bandit1

bandit1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Full Name:Sean W Brady

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:19 AM

Does anyone know if the walmarts are carrying any RC2 (AMT) reissues such as the Pete 352 Coe kit?

#89 Mike_G

Mike_G

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Graves aka "the infamous Captain Reverb"

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:42 AM

Michael's also sells model kits and periodically issues coupons for 40-50% off a single item by email- I just got one for 40% off today.

#90 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

I finally checked one of the Wally Worlds here that has models - the selection was really small and prices were not good. I hope it is an avenue for initiation of new modelers, because it's not a bargain (or even cheaper than HS) for "regular" purchasers.

#91 Patrick2005

Patrick2005

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Full Name:Patrick Myers

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

I check one of the Walmarts in Erie, PA and they had nothing, Edinboro had nothing as well and both are pretty big areas. But the little hole in the wall town known as Cranberry (not the one near Pittsburgh) carried a small selection. Figure that one out??