Round 2 AMT reissue of Carl Casper's Young American...just heard from my contact at Round 2/AMT that....

• You cannot reply to this topic
63 replies to this topic

#1 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:50 AM

... this reissue is on track for a November release. Sounds like they've really put alot of care and attention into the reissue and packaging of the model, even down to securing from Carl Casper a revised, higher quality preiod picture of the car in action for the new box top.

This is the model, of course, based on MPC's original circa 1970 tooling of the last Don Garlits front engine rail dragster. The "Young American" version was a spinoff kit added to the MPC line around 1973 IIRC. Since that release, the kit has never been available in this form - a gap of nearly 40 years!!! The frame and engine were reissued once more in the late 1970's as part of a not-too-well-done Fiat Altered kit. Since then, even the frame/engine have never been reissued.

Only a couple of months away, and counting.... TIM

#2 Modelmartin

Modelmartin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts
  • Full Name:Martin, Andrew O.

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:33 AM

That is good news. I like those long, long wheelbase FEDs that ruled just before the mid-engined cars took over. I may have to fire up the "jaws of life" to get my wallet open to buy one!

#3 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:11 AM

Tim, was that the one with the real long frame?.

I always thought that Fiat dragster kit was kinda cool. I may have to get a couple of those CC kits and do one as my own version of a Fiat bodied car.

Yes, that's the one! TIM

#4 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:12 AM

That is good news. I like those long, long wheelbase FEDs that ruled just before the mid-engined cars took over. I may have to fire up the "jaws of life" to get my wallet open to buy one!

Andy...I keep forgetting that you are a rail dragster afficianado among your many automotive and modeling interests....needless to say we'd love to see your build/interpretation of this kit....TIM

#5 PatRedmond

PatRedmond

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

Here's the OLD box art for those of you that don't know it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

Thanks Pat! TIM

#7 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,389 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

I want one.

#8 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

Terrific!!! The Garlits/Young American kits are among my grails but totally unobtainium on Flea-Bay, trading for nose-bleed prices. For those of you who know, could someone please confirm that, like the shorter wheelbase MPC Dragmaster kit, it featiures full round tubing in the frame? I'm nervous because the frame, which is a one piece affair, looks too similar to the Tommy Ivo/Digger 'Cuda/Two Much chassis which has half-round tubing designed to be covered up by the full length bodywork...

Edited by Bernard Kron, 27 August 2012 - 03:56 AM.

#9 Len Woodruff

Len Woodruff

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Full Name:Len Woodruff

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

I am looking forward to this re-issue too!

#10 Frank

Frank

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

Gotta get me one of those when they come out, love FEDs, not much into rear engins though.

#11 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

I'll have to get me one as I love those FED's from the 60's. I used to be a young American once but I've aged a few years since then.

#12 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

I'll have to get me one as I love those FED's from the 60's. I used to be a young American once but I've aged a few years since then.

Nick...you made me laugh out loud with that response. Same thing applies here, btw! TIM

#13 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

. For those of you who know, could someone please confirm that, like the shorter wheelbase MPC Dragmaster kit, it featiures full round tubing in the frame?

Bernard, I just checked, it has a three part sliding mold (top/left/right) one-piece frame (other than the roll bar and the crossmember that locates the driveshaft, so yes, that means it does not have the round tubing on the inside edges of the frame. Having fought the AMT Garlits and MPC Ramchargers two piece frames for decades, it's an action I can live with.

Man, I can't wait for this one...sounds like many of you share the same view. TIM

#14 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

Bernard, I just checked, it has a three part sliding mold (top/left/right) one-piece frame (other than the roll bar and the crossmember that locates the driveshaft, so yes, that means it does not have the round tubing on the inside edges of the frame. ...

Thanx for the info, Tim. That's a bummer in my view but...

I reviewed the instructions for the kit ( you can see the instructions on Bob Black's excellent Model Kit Instructions site here: http://public.fotki....oung-american-/) and it has an awful lot going for it - sort of half way between some of the pluses of the Garlits and Ramchargers kits and the minuses of the AMT Ivo based kits. It will definitely find a place in my stash even if I will land up remplacing the forward half of the frame if I don't run the car full bodied.

Edited by Bernard Kron, 27 August 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#15 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

New box art?:

Posted Image

#16 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

Is this one out already, ?

I'll need a couple to build and a few more if for nuttin else but a parts kits

New box art?:

Posted Image

#17 jaydar

jaydar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • Full Name:Joseph J. Taylor

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

For those of you who know, could someone please confirm that, like the shorter wheelbase MPC Dragmaster kit, it featiures full round tubing in the frame?

Perhaps Evergreen makes a half round you could use to finish the other half. Chances are it would require sanding to finish the radius.
Joe.

Edited by jaydar, 04 November 2012 - 06:39 AM.

#18 Len Woodruff

Len Woodruff

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Full Name:Len Woodruff

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:34 AM

Perhaps Evergreen makes a half round you could use to finish the other half. Chances are it would require sanding to finish the radius.
Joe.

I thought that could be a solution.

#19 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,740 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:46 AM

I've tried using half-round rod to round out these D-shaped frame rails- sometimes it works okay, and sometimes it doesn't work so well. The 'half-round' molded frame rails in some of the old AMT dragster kit frames sometimes aren't really half round. It is worth a try, though.

#20 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

Any plans to possibly release it in the future as a 2-in-1 version with the Fiat altered body? I kinda want to replicate a car that used to run at our local strip in the 1960 - '61 years. It was from the Klamath Falls Oregon area, & was named the "Zombie"
For those that are into drag racing, a real piece of history is about to go by the way, the Redding, California strip that is the oldest continuously operating NHRA drag strip in the U.S. is going to die, it is being taken over by the City of Redding to use as a taxi-way (its original use from the mid '40s when it was a U.S. Army Air Force field, until 1953 when it was "loaned" to the Shasta Roadsters to use as a Drag Strip) this is being done to keep a flight school that is for training Chinese pilots for airline service in the area. It is a mixed bag of feelings, I can remember a lot of Sundays their both as a young boy, & in my high school years, but it is needed to keep a rather large company from locating to a different location with a loss of income for the local airport services.