#21 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Brackney

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:29 PM

Mike, the headlights are perfect. They go right along with it and it's gonna look so sweet when you move the enadlights up and get it all molded in. I like the whole vent idea, keep up the work. It's really coming along

#22 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

wow thats really shaping up into a great look! the nose is inspired and inspiration especially with those widened fenders. that motor is gonna be sweet and unique too. great work!

#23 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:27 AM

I was actually thinking body-color, but if you did some type of blue on the engine with a coordinating or matching exterior and a light gray interior, I think you'd have something there.

I would suggest a candy blue using silver with Tamiya or Testors clear/transparent blue.

I was giving thought to a candy maroon. You might be able to achieve that using Model Master Burgundy Metallic enamel thinned out to near-transparent, over a gold base. I would recommend a tan interior with that...or, for red overload, Humbrol Crimson, overcoated with flat and semi-gloss as appropriate. If you can't find Humbrol out there, let me know, Spare Time stocks it and I can grab you a can if you need it.

Charlie Larkin

I know you were on body color, Charlie. :)

I got some Candy Apple Red and I'm going to try that over some maroon and see what comes of that. I'm glad to see there's some transparent blue around to experiment with too.

#24 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

Not much for an update but the nose is taking better with lots of sanding and shaping. Time for some body putty now. I like how the extension has pushed the front of the hood forward in profile.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I got lucky at the hobby shop an hour away as they had two of the Maroon colors I wanted to try. Also got some flat red. Mow I have to put some Candy Apple Red over them to see ow they look. I might have to try some darker primer as the white spoons made them look pretty light
Posted Image

#25 bryan_m

bryan_m

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts
  • Full Name:Bryan Mccallum

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

nice colors!

bryan

#26 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

Nose is looking good. I like the first red. Has a little tint of that plum color they used on the prowler mixed with a hotrod red. They all look like some nice colors, I'm starting to really like the flat red more and more.

#27 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:47 AM

The first red ... Tamiya TS11 Maroon looked way off when I first sprayed ... thought it was too light compared to the can color, but it's looking better the more I look. The color itself is nice. We'll see when I put some candy red on top of it. I may try some darker primer in another test .. just some of my usual grey undercoat.

#28 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,612 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:54 AM

That maroon with a red tint-coat over it would look pretty neat, I think. If you have some pearl powder, perhaps a little bit of that mixed in and airbrushed on would be a nice addition, too.

Charlie Larkin

#29 TLes

TLes

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Lescavage

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

Looks really good, but I think a slight copped roof would add to the streamline rake of the car

#30 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:42 AM

Been awhile but I HAVE been working. I ended up gluing the hood and nose the get everything blended. I'm not sure if I'll cut apart in the end or just leave as is. Having the nose on body while the engine is exposed will be better but maybe I'll just hinge the whole thing at the cowl. This is the first coat of putty sanded a bit.
The spoons show the paint I decided. The darker one is with a black undercoat and that I will use.
Posted Image

I moved the motor mounts almost a quarter inch up on the engine to clear the hood and got the mounting pins installed. Also got the mounts on the frame done and looks like the SHO engine will clear the hood. I'll probably gouge a bit under the hood to insure clearance also.
Posted Image

Edited by Foxer, 19 September 2012 - 05:44 AM.

#31 bryan_m

bryan_m

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

that nose look great! nice work

cheers
bryan

#32 Randy D

Randy D

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Ditton

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hi Mike, Excellent body mods on this one The nose is really working for me!!

Randy

#33 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

I was looking for this topic the other day after I came across this photo. It for some reason kept reminding me of this build and I just thought it was cool as hell. Check it out. Your build is shaping up nicely, what red are you leaning torwards?
Posted Image

#34 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:42 AM

Thanks everyone and that skull nose does give a similar effect. :lol:

The paint will be Tamiaya TS11 Maroon over a black primer base. Maybe some candy apple red or a pearl on top.

#35 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,414 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:51 AM

Some great styling cues. I love those reds. I would be tempted to put all three of them on there. ;)

#36 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

Some great styling cues. I love those reds. I would be tempted to put all three of them on there. ;)

Hmmmm .. as usual, you're gonna make me think! I do plan to add back the body "trim" I sanded off the hood ... basically where the hood hinges were. Separation lines will be there so multi-reds could work easily. :)

#37 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

The hood was much more work than I thought, but half of it was reinforcing and re-gluing the joints! It just needs a little putty along the headlight pod edges before primer! I had to cut some pretty big holes to allow the headlights to slip in from the rear. The body trim was extended onto the hood with triangular strips.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I also got the front wheels spaced and ready for mounting. It took 3 cylinders in plastic and brass for mounting. The rears are similar but only needed 2 plastic tubes.
Posted Image

Edited by Foxer, 01 October 2012 - 08:23 AM.

#38 bryan_m

bryan_m

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

Lookin good! nice body work

cheers
bryan

#39 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,848 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

I really like those flow-through nostrils on the hood. What you've experienced "reinforcing and re-gluing the joints" is the reason that after I get my major bodywork roughed in, I reinforce the backside of everything with very fine fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. No spontaneous dis-assembly while sanding bondo.

#40 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

What you've experienced "reinforcing and re-gluing the joints" is the reason that after I get my major bodywork roughed in, I reinforce the backside of everything with very fine fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. No spontaneous dis-assembly while sanding bondo.

I know what you're saying cause I think my fingers are going "senior". I did use brass strips and epoxy after some breaks and that has worked fine.
Posted Image