#21 cartpix

cartpix

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Davidson

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

If you look at pictures of CSX 2128 & 2129, you will notice the front fender openings are stock & the rears are flaired. Many of the early racing Cobras were like this. Even the early "works" cars had stock front wheel openings with bolted on flairs on the trailing edge of the front wheel openings. Just a thought.

Jeff

#22 IMSANUT

IMSANUT

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Full Name:Jim McCall

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

Very nice work! I managed to score an old Revell FIA Cobra slot car body in need of serious work, but it was pretty cheap in that it came as part of a much larger bunch of stuff I resold for the same money. It is among my ever growing pile of things to build.....

#23 torinobradley

torinobradley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Full Name:Andrew Bradley

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

I got some time to work on this beast today. I swore I would not make this a stalled, super detailed build and, well...

I did a white glue build up of what I have so far on the motor. Today, I added the bolt detail to the intake and flanges and bolts to the side pipes. I also cut the pulleys off the belt assembly and did some re-shaping. Then, stuck them in my poor-man's lathe (drill) and cut a grove in each. I also added a harmonic balancer (something that always seems to be left off the engines). There are pictures of the motor a-la-cart and of it sittin pretty in the bay.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Other things I did but don't have pictures of are cut the hood scoop hole, glued on the scoop and then thinned the hood to the thickness of the tab pockets, trimmed the hood opening and added a thin piece of sheet plastic to create the shelf the hood sits on. I'll use thin black wire to adjust the hood to sit flush with the body at the same time imitating the weatherstrip. I tried bending a hood hinge last night but gave up after about 3 tries. I also opened up the ducts on either side of the grill just as the 1:1 Executor had. I also got some of the 2.5mm ferreles and they are going to make the carbs really stand out. They are wonderfly thin and being copper, don't take all that much to cut and file down to the right size, and since they are tin plated, they look good. Thanks for following my never-ending high-detail torment...

#24 bryan_m

bryan_m

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts
  • Full Name:Bryan Mccallum

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

those flanges look great!

bryan

#25 torinobradley

torinobradley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

Got a bit more work done on this little Ferrari slaying beasty. Got the decals to do the Coventry Motors Executor along with a few other parts from HRM. Started working on the generator, pully and mount. It's not exact but looks fair and eleminates the "magic" alternator/generator problem that plagues so many models. Also worked on thinning the trunk lid, trimming the rear differential, the red half shafts are from a doner Vette. Have a bracket on the front of the differential so it does not hang mysteriously in it's place. Still have to create the top mounts. I have also started creating a fuel tank for the trunk. I added two little filler pieces to the front wheel skirts to fill the area behind the grill. Speaking of the grill, the Executor uses a stock grill painted black. I don't like slab type grills you can't see through so I took some time and began sanding the back of the stock Cobra grill from the AMT kit. After quite a while and a lot of sanding, I ended up with a large quantity of fine, white polystyrene dust and the grill you see on the left propped up against my fuel tank sub-assembly. The untouched kit grill is on the right. Of course, comments and critisism welcome.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#26 250 Testa Rossa

250 Testa Rossa

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Full Name:Maxx Kominski

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

Did Cobra CSX2128 have the air scoops underneath the grille opening?

#27 bryan_m

bryan_m

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts
  • Full Name:Bryan Mccallum

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

nice work on that grille! it looks so much better like that.........

cheers
bryan

#28 torinobradley

torinobradley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

Did Cobra CSX2128 have the air scoops underneath the grille opening?

The twin scoops below and on each side of the actual grill? The pictures show them to be there but I haven't figured out how to make them yet. I would love to find someone who offers them by themselves. I will have to see about contacting HRM about them. Also, I've seen them referred to as both brake scoops and a rudementry ventilation system for the footwells of the cockpit. On the 1:1s, you can see a black hose running from the top back of the front fender wells to a fitting attached to the top of the footwells and I assume this is where that scoop leads. That's a whole lot of scoop for a brake cooler hose. Does anyone know which one of these those scoops are for?

Thanks Bryan! I am pretty happy with the way it came out too. I thought for sure the detailing was so shallow I wasn't going to be able to do it but, there it is. I'm still following that V12 '30 build!

#29 slammedi'am

slammedi'am

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts
  • Full Name:Shane Harrold

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

Nice work!

#30 torinobradley

torinobradley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

Okay, it's slow going on this one. The more I do, the more I see, the more I add. It's a vicious cycle really...

Ive been working on the kit carbs for a bit. I shaved off the trumpets for some made out of tin-plated copper crimp ferrules. Drilled a bit of a throat for a little depth and then drilled a center hole for the little tube that goes in the center of that. I also drilled linkage holes, glued really thin pieces of wire in them and small pieces of insulation over the wire for spacers. I also drilled a small hole for the float level adjuster nut. Other than that, I don't think I am going to much further in accuratizing the carbs. The kit carbs are way off but with the mods I have done, they will look good and a bit more accurate. I can't wait to see the linkage all together! Here they are, bodies and trumpets waiting paint and assembly
Posted Image

I started making the brake and clutch resoviors and was making them from memory. Whoops...
Posted Image

As you can see, very innacurate and all I ended up with is some really nice single resovior master cylinders for another street rod build.
Here is the accurate ones. The real ones are fluid cans with clamp type brackets mounting them to the front of the driver's footwell. Here, you see the body, the hex fitting on the bottom of the can and the cap (yet to be cut down to size). Still got to build the brakets.
Posted Image

Now, the piece I'm pretty proud of. I created the gas pedal assembly from three pieces of plastic, one piece of wire insulation and the kit gas pedal. I created the basic shape then laminated a strip across the top, then cut and glued to a mounting plate. Then drilled the bottom for the thinned kit gas pedal. Finally, I drilled a hole in the top of the driver's footwell for the pedal to hang down from.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now, some experementing with making the passenger vent hoses. The black one is plastic tube wrapped with wire with heat-shrink over it. Looks okay and is already black but lacks definition. The white one is something I read about somewhere. Same plastic tubing and wire wrapping but used teflon tape, the type used for plumbing connections to wrap it. The second pic shows it bent into a rough shape for the tubing.
Posted Image
Posted Image

As you can see from the last pic, I separated the fender skirts from the frame as well. That should help with the detail as well as I will most likely thin those too.

Thanks for looking and coments welcome!

#31 IMSANUT

IMSANUT

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Full Name:Jim McCall

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

Got a link for a real FIA Cobra photo set, 30 pics. Hope they are useful.....
http://www.ultimatec...A-Roadster.html

#32 Road Runner 79

Road Runner 79

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Full Name:Pat Minarick

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

Nice work ! looks very good.

#33 torinobradley

torinobradley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

Thank you all for the kind words and links! Lots of motivation for this build. I got a few more things worked on and will update soon.

#34 Phildaupho

Phildaupho

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Full Name:Phil Dauphinee

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:57 AM

Hi Andrew - I discovered your under construction Cobra after I finished mine and really like the detail stuff you are doing. I look forward to seeing your Cobra when completed.

I made the front brake scoops with Evergreen tubing split in half lengthwise and joined by similar thickness flat stock. I am currently working on the 56 Ford pick-up tow vechicle and trailer. I am using the Revell Roth truck which I have converted to a big back window and the trailer from the MPC 76 Chevy Caprice.

I went to Grant-O-Rama at Allen Grant's garage in Squim Washington and saw his close 1/1 replicas of the Coventry Motors Cobra and truck. Check out the photos at

http://public.fotki....rant-o-rama-07/

#35 shucky

shucky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeLuco

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

Andrew this is looking great! May I ask where the PE bolt heads, nuts, and alternator blade are from? Your doing a super job!

#36 torinobradley

torinobradley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

Thanks Philaupho! I ended up getting a pair from Historic Racing Miniatures for mine. I'm going to make the cutout mod to the drivers door thanks to you! I hadn't noticed that when researching this one. I've got a long way to go on mine. So much for an easy build... I'll check out your link for sure! I, too want to create the pickup. Have you done a WIP on it yet?

Thanks Shucky! I can't remember where I got those nuts/bolts from but it had to be over 20 years ago. I loved them because they are on that black rubber piece and had no tabs to deal with. I wish I could find more. Maybe Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland? The alternator fan is from an engine detail set from Detail Master. I would love to find someone that just sells a sheet of these fans as I could use that much more than a the rest of the set. Just did some research and it appears DET2510 has FOUR fans plus brackets and so forth. Looks like I found what I needed! The pulley is actually two little pieces out of a watch gear lot I found a few years ago (thanks to Cranky). I was looking at them and realized they looked very close to a deep groove racing pulley when put face to face and the hole is the right size for a small pin. I filed the head of the pin to appear like a bolt and voila! I think they came out very convincing but I'm a little partial...

Thanks again for the comments and of course, if anyone else has any questions about how I do things, don't hesitate to ask. I'll share.

Edited by torinobradley, 30 November 2012 - 12:25 PM.

#37 250 Testa Rossa

250 Testa Rossa

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Full Name:Maxx Kominski

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

How do you make the front and rear tow hooks? Are they in the kit? I am looking for a set. 

#38 kekefe

kekefe

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Full Name:Keke Keke

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

Perfect work

#39 torinobradley

torinobradley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

Thanks for the comments. Progress has been slow as of late with the holidays and all. 250, If your asking about the jack points (the little downward facing hooks on the front and rear of the body in place of the bumpers), the Coventry car I am working on had them on the rear only. My plan was to use thin plastic or aluminum to create them from scratch. There is photo-etch items for the 427 Cobras that would work but I'm not willing to spend the $20-$30 for a set I might use 3 or 4 parts from. There are some nice ones in the Revell 427 kits but they face outward instead of inward. I'll get the pictures uploaded and post an update soon.

#40 Steve Prideaux

Steve Prideaux

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Prideaux

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Excellent build and great craftsmanship !!   I can't wait to see it finished.   Where were you able to got the 2.5 Ferrels for the weber carb stacks ?   I am currently working on six cobras, for a car hauler load.  

Great work.   Steve Prideaux

Edited by Steve Prideaux, 07 January 2013 - 01:26 PM.