#21 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:21 AM

Ray pointed out the top, so...

Not sure what the good points would be compared to the most recent reissue, which seemed to have most of the optional custom parts. The kit does have an opening hood and trunk. Hopefully they cleaned up the tooling a little bit for this one, it was just starting to look a little bit haggard on the last reissue in spots.

It does have full engine detail. Just one engine- the 289, but if I recall it can be built with Weber carbs or a single carb. The kit also has a separate chassis with decent front and rear suspension detail- there's a metal axle at both ends, but each end has its own transverse leaf spring. Compared to the 1:24 Monogram Cobra, I think this one has better interior detail. It also lacks the wide fender flares Monogram's 427 has, so you could even convert it back to an AC Ace if you wanted.

My only serious gripe with any of these I've built is the windshield frame- sometimes it fits the cowl pretty well, other times it doesn't. The hinged hood and trunk have always worked well for me.

It is my understanding from John Mueller (long time AMT, Lesney/AMT and AMT/Ertl kit designer) that the AMT Cobra was actually modeled off the ORIGINAL Shelby AC Cobra, s/n CX0001. If so, that is an AC Ace chassis, AC Ace bodywork, and a 260cid Ford small block. As such, it is a completely different Cobra than the 427 as kitted by Revell. AC Ace and the 260/289 AC Cobra's used the Tojiero transverse leaf spring suspension as produced by FIAT from the early 1950's onward for several years, while the 427 used a completely new coil-over suspension system.

Round2's box art isn't the same as the original issue kit though, the artwork on that kit box was much more artistic, certainly not the cartoon-like image shown above.

Art

#22 Phildaupho

Phildaupho

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Full Name:Phil Dauphinee

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

The AMT kit was most certainly based on the first run of Cobras but not CSX2000 which was distinctive in a number of ways from subsequent Cobras as I described in the posting of my CSX2000 build
http://www.modelcars...topic=65165&hl=

#23 topher5150

topher5150

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Full Name:Kristopher Hop

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:56 AM

Those are Toyota rims??? Those look more Shelby than the rims from the Shelby kit.

#24 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Croft

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

The 66 Mustang that is out now used to have a nice set of those Shelby style wheels in it, I haven't seen that latest issue to see if it still does.

Posted Image

#25 Lownslow

Lownslow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts
  • Full Name:Frank Rizzo

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

Those are Toyota rims??? Those look more Shelby than the rims from the Shelby kit.

yup toyota 2000gt, i think so too even more so once i get the chrome off them.

#26 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:39 AM

Whatever. I'm happy that one of my all-time favorite kits will be available again.

#27 Art Laski

Art Laski

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Full Name:Art Laski

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

First issue had the Halibrand Kidneybean mags. Later kits had five spoke Cragars.

Posted Image

Reason enough to get that kit. Awesome!

#28 Don Sikora II

Don Sikora II

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

I just happen to have one of the first Cobra's in my collection. I have included the box photo as well as the wheels.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I bought one of the reissues today. It does NOT include Kidney Bean Halibrands as shown in this picture. It does include the different style of Halibrands that AMT retooled for the recent reissue of the Studebaker Avanti kit. Sorry, I'm not sure of the proper name for those wheels. They are also similar to the wheels in the Revell Rat Rod '31 Model A sedan kit.

The reissue also includes a set of eight turned metal tall injector stacks for the drag version and some really nice new Goodyear Bluestreak slicks with tampo lettering and blue stripes.

#29 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  • Full Name:See below:

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

^^^Those are NOT Halibrand wheels of any type. If they are labeled as such in the kit, they are a very poor representation.

#30 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

^^^Those are NOT Halibrand wheels of any type. If they are labeled as such in the kit, they are a very poor representation.

While they are not 100% accurate to the 1:1 Halibrand manufactured wheels, they are pretty close, and were made by Halibrand. See posts #46 and #51 (penned by a fellow MCM member) here: http://www.jalopyjou...96&d=1228702552

#31 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  • Full Name:See below:

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

Excellent source Casey-I see the discrepancy now. Those are bolt on wheels-never found on a Cobra. Avanti equipment. Text says they were available with pin drive adapters optionally. The surprising thing is that they were cast in Mg.
Can't tell if the bolt heads are on the model wheels you're showing.
Except for the crown at the center, they vaguely resemble Cobra FIA wheels, which were knockoff.
These are FIA wheels:
Posted Image

#32 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Excellent source Casey-I see the discrepancy now. Those are bolt on wheels-never found on a Cobra.

Which makes it even more puzzling why Round2 would include them in this 289 Cobra kit.

Don, are the knock-offs still included among the chrome parts?

#33 Don Sikora II

Don Sikora II

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

Which makes it even more puzzling why Round2 would include them in this 289 Cobra kit.

Don, are the knock-offs still included among the chrome parts?

The kit includes the two-ear knock offs that are meant to be used with the "stock" wire wheels. The new kit includes three sets of wheels: The wire wheels, the so-so 5-spokes that have been in all the recent issues, and the "Avanti" Halibrands.

I have an original issue of the King Cobra. It didn't have the kidney-beans from the first issue Cobra either. It had two sets of wheels: The so-so 5-spokes and a set of deep-offset 10-spoke Shelby mags similar to those seen on the 1:1 green Shelby Mustang shown elsewhere in this thread. I haven't seen the 10-spokes in any other kits, but I don't have every issue of the AMT Cobra.

To answer the other question, the "Avanti" Halibrands do not have engraved lug nut details.

Edited by Don Sikora II, 16 November 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#34 Steve Prideaux

Steve Prideaux

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Prideaux

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

The Halibrand "kidney bean" wheels, from the original issue kit, are available from Replicas and Miniatures Company of Maryland.
phone # 410-768-3648 Steve Prideaux

#35 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

Never seen the 'King Cobra' version... I have the original issue and the one from about 10 years ago (white car on the box). I wonder how the new issue differs..

#36 RatRod

RatRod

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Full Name:John Bissinger

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Those kidney bean wheels are also included in the AMT competition parts pack conglomeration kit that had the chrome T roadster frame, drag strip accessories, and a sprue of chrome wheels.

#37 GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Elmer

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:40 AM

Historic Racing Miniatures also makes Halibrand Kidney Beans....a couple of versions, not sure of the differences though.

Kit's probably still worth picking up IMO, for the tires and velocity stacks. Disappointing about the wheels though.

#38 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,336 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

. . . and Darin comes through, thanks buddy. Too bad Round @ dropped the ball with their "new" wheel addition. Count me out.

#39 Darin Bastedo

Darin Bastedo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

. . . and Darin comes through, thanks buddy. Too bad Round @ dropped the ball with their "new" wheel addition. Count me out.

Now don't count it out yet. The AMT 289 cobra can be built into a very nice model. To illustrate my point here is an old built up I picked up a couple of years ago at a swap meet. this is an excellent example of how models were built in the 1960's Aside from some scratch-built fender flares and some 60's era engine detailing this is box stock. the Kidney bean wheels are aren't in the current kit but are available in resin or in AMT's recent "Part Pack" with the allison engine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#40 Matt T.

Matt T.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew T.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:37 AM

Grabbed this kit the other day at Hobbytown, and I'm glad I did!  Another great updated/improved reissue from Round2. I love the pad-printed blue line Good Year slicks and the restored vintage drag parts. And the custom "lucite" steering wheel! Should be a fun build.