Dodge "A500" Phantom Flip Cab
Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:43 PM
A "what if" build...what if Dodge had taken the A100 and given us a full-framed, cab/chassis-only to bridge the gap between the standard van-based pickup and the semi-tractor L700? Since it's based on the A cab rather than the L but is heavier duty...why not call it an A500? Works for me, anyway. I'll build it as though someone got hold of one of these and restored it with a little hot rod flavor for hauling around a old Dart or 'Cuda weekend racer. Should be fun.
First hurdle was the frame. Not wanting to over-think it too much, I based it loosely on the design of the kits "frame" (these were unibody in 1:1). Lots of Evergreen stock later, I have this:
Here's the body, hacked down to just the cab. After installing a one of the leftover bed sides as a new rear cab wall, the new cab corners were glued in well over-sized, and whittled down to match the contours. They still need a little fine tuning yet.
Thanks to bill_rules for sending me a seriously glue-bombed Lil' Red Wagon from which I was able to scavenge the floor. Here it is cut down, cleaned up, and given new bits at the rear to tie it in with the cut-down cab.
This shot shows why that was necessary...couldn't leave this area under the back of the cab looking unfinished.
Finally, a mock-up to show the overall length of this lil' beast.
Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:27 PM
Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:57 PM
Nick, I'm cheating big time with the rolling stock on this one. They're just the excellent slots from the later Revell Maz Willys, wrapped with the Goodyear AirWheel tires from the stock '41 Chevy pickup kit. I'm going to dress them down a bit...either dullcoat or stripped and painted white. I'd like to catch the hot rod attitude, but just hints of it.
Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:45 PM
For now, I'm using it to get the rear suspension started. This stuff rolls so nicely that the spring eyes were a breeze.
Edited by Gluhead, 19 September 2012 - 12:47 PM.
Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:28 PM
Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:32 AM
So I went back to plan A.
The ride height is a little too high so I'll see if I can worm the spring hanger off the frame and move it up a bit to compensate. If it gets ugly I'll just have to make a new one (no big deal).
Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:52 AM
Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:02 AM
Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:50 AM
Carter, I use for sale signs for my styrene stock unless I need some real thickness. I'm not positive, but I'd say this particular sheet is probably about .020...could be .015. Whichever it is, it's hard to beat 97 cents a sheet.
Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:24 PM
Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:13 AM
I love 1/8" thick sheet stock. It's a bear on the Dremel, but it's such a good blank canvas.
Leaving a "handle" on it to make it easy to work with.
More 1/8" stock, turned down to a "button" (the stalk was just there to mount it in the Dremel).
Mounted that to a piece of thin sheet and shaped it down to form a lip.
Scraping the tubes into shape.
I'll have the housing all finished up yet here in a bit, and hopefully be able to whittle out a 3rd member tonight.
Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:30 AM
Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:25 PM
Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:21 PM
While looking for something else, I noticed that I had an extra 8 3/4 3rd member. I'm terrible about robbing parts but have been trying to be better about it and just make stuff instead, if I can...but since this was genuinely an extra, I figured I had better use it.
Besides that, I got the other half of the housing shaped up, and installed the tubing on the ends that matches up with the holes in the wheelbacks. It'll get brake drums and backing plates in a couple days (my brother is saving the day on these, and casting up a few that I did for another project), so for now it's on to making the spring pads, u bolts, and getting some shocks and mounts in there.