98 replies to this topic

#41 fatkidd

fatkidd

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

Ohhhhhh. True flames. I like those puppies. Fatkidd does a fantastic job on them. He might even be doing a tutorial on them for Iwata.

actually jim, I do realistic "fire"...flames are stylized after fire (its what hot rodders have been doing for decades. real fire, true fire, realistic fire is exactly what it sounds like...a realistice interpretation of fire

#42 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:12 PM

Doc, that color is beautiful, I can't wait for the flames on it! Now since you've done a bunch of these kits, how do you deal with the windshield not quite fitting right? Mine has a gap around it, but not completely, so I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what the issue actually is, the glass or the cab...

#43 LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

Got that shiny jones going on , eh ? Looking good , no doubt about that ! The Anthracite Grey looks great on the frame . I like the detail thus far too !

Oh , by the way ? No way on the fenders , separately shot then assembled , much easier that way ! Lol !

Edited by LoneWolf15, 24 September 2012 - 07:20 PM.

#44 Randy D

Randy D

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Ditton

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

Hi Virgil, Great to see you building another truck :) :) Love that six!!

Randy

#45 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

actually jim, I do realistic "fire"...flames are stylized after fire (its what hot rodders have been doing for decades. real fire, true fire, realistic fire is exactly what it sounds like...a realistice interpretation of fire

LIke on your Dodge pickup, right?

#46 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,390 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:00 AM

Got that shiny jones going on , eh ? Looking good , no doubt about that ! The Anthracite Grey looks great on the frame . I like the detail thus far too !

Oh , by the way ? No way on the fenders , separately shot then assembled , much easier that way ! Lol !

Donn, you are right about that if I were using the enamel paints, but this one is shot in HOK which means I can get the airbrush close in a shoot the edges without any problems. Well, at least I've had no problems with it. And I am a big fanatic when it comes to making sure the bed is as strong as an ox and can hold up over time.

The next one I build I will paint the fenders separate and then glue on.

#47 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Davis

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:26 AM

I wondered what you were workin on Doc, never thought about looking here, nice work on the lil truck! looking sweet Doc!

#48 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:21 AM

Just put a bolt head over that hole in the side of the carb, if anyone asks what it is tell them it's a fuel level access port.

#49 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,390 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:11 AM

[quote name='fatkidd' timestamp='1348528302' post='781236']
[/quote]

Paul, do you have any tutorials up we can look at? Thanks.

[quote name='vintagedragfan' timestamp='1348572414' post='781556']
I wondered what you were workin on Doc, never thought about looking here, nice work on the lil truck! looking sweet Doc!
[/quote]

Thanks, Bill. Yes, I am working on this little truck for a change.

[quote name='blunc' timestamp='1348575689' post='781576']
Just put a bolt head over that hole in the side of the carb, if anyone asks what it is tell them it's a fuel level access port.
[/quote]

Thanks, Mike, I like the idea.

#50 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,390 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

The true fire painting practice has begun.

You can watch the video HERE:

Edited by Dr. Cranky, 25 September 2012 - 07:46 AM.

#51 Kustom Rodder

Kustom Rodder

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Full Name:mike hall

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

Lookin good so far Doc i really like the use of the watch parts.The dash gauges did those come out of the kit or aftermarket?The steering wheel looks really clean also nice job.

#52 LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

Hey Virg ,

You misunderstood my post ! Lol ! You made the comment in a previous post that I would be the one to shoot the enamel with the fenders on , been there , done that ! Yes , it can be done , however , it is soooo much easier to paint them separately , hence my comment !

#53 fredo84

fredo84

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Full Name:Fred

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

Lookin' sweet Doc !
I really dig it !

#54 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,390 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

Hey Virg ,

You misunderstood my post ! Lol ! You made the comment in a previous post that I would be the one to shoot the enamel with the fenders on , been there , done that ! Yes , it can be done , however , it is soooo much easier to paint them separately , hence my comment !

I know, Donn. With the years of experience you've already clocked it, I am sure you've built them in every way, which is why I always listen to you. Don't I? Yes, I do, and which is why I think my models have improved in the last couple of years.

So, thank you, my friend.

#55 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,390 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the nice comments, stay tuned in for some more progress and more "True Fire" green flames spoon practice. ;) :P

#56 fatkidd

fatkidd

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

Jim,
yes, just like the dodge pickup

Doc,
I do not have any video tutorials at this time. But I do have a few things in the works.
I watched the video of the spoon test. If I may make a suggestion...don't trail off with the airbrush on every flame lick. What I mean is, just spray a small section of the stecil and let that be it. I realize that the spoon test was only step 1, Just a simple suggestion.
You may want to order a set of the mike levallee true fire stencils in the nano size, if you haven't already.

here's a picture of a hood that a friend of mine and I did when I was 1st trying out the process. I'm not 100% happy with it...but i am hardly ever 100% happy.

Posted Image

here's a few more to possibly help (not green fire)...
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now, I'm not a pro at this and I learn a little more each time I do this technique.
You might want to get yourself some reference photos of fire. It sounds silly, but it does help.
Be sure to go sparringly on your "highlight" color. And don't stress it too much...it is only paint and can be fixed.

I hope this helps you out some and didn't confuse you even more.

#57 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,390 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for the great tip, Paul. I actually caught myself doing it way too often today. I normally hold back.

Great work on the flames. I went through a period where I was putting flames on everything, including a thermos and a flask and some Zippo lighters. It's hard to get the flame licks to look in scale because of the templates, but that's just me coming up with more excuses. LOL.

Again, thanks for the help and the inspiration.

#58 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,390 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

After the base coat, I taped up everything so we wouldn't get too much overspray.

Posted Image

Went ahead and painted the visor and running boards . . . in Galaxie Gray, another color I like.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#59 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,390 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

The paint job on this one took the whole day and heck of a lot of practice. Even though I am not entirely pleased with the scale of the licks and the flames, I do like the overall look of it . . . and tomorrow I get to finish putting all the bling and the clear.

Posted Image

The skulls also need a little bit more detailing. My shortcomings as an airbrusher will always include the use of templates because I cannot free hand graphics. So it goes.

Posted Image

The shine you see is from the use of the candies . . . also the Shimrin2 bling is part of a new shipment I just got. This stuff is more expensive than freakin' caviar or truffles.

Posted Image

#60 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,390 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

Here are a few more:

Posted Image

Posted Image