#41 GTMust

GTMust

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Full Name:Tony Durham

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

I love following your builds Geoff, but I'm still wondering about the excess height of those front fenders.

If you mock up the suspension/chassis/body, you may see what I mean. Better to catch it now than after it's painted.

I know you strive for accuracy in your builds... that's the only reason I mention it.

Tony

#42 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts
  • Full Name:Geoff Brown

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

I can see what you mean, I'm not sure if it's the box art, but it does look a bit out compared to the original, I will see if I can shave off some plastic on the underside of the body before the chassis gets fixed, the Stutz I'm building has slightly higher suspension than the two photo's posted earlier in this post.

Posted Image

#43 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

Did a little work on the engine today, I'm not going to go overboard on the detail, I was going to polish out the body today, but I wasn't happy with the finish, so it's been flatted down ready for a respray tomorrow ....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#44 scaleauto

scaleauto

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Full Name:Vaughn Munroe

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

This is a great build. Keep it up

#45 Road Runner 79

Road Runner 79

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • Full Name:Pat Minarick

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

Very nice work!

#46 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,612 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

That looks very nice, Geoff.

The Collings Foundation, which is a small private museum near me, has a very nice Stutz in a soft pastel gray with red seats. If I ever get around to building mine, I think I'm doing that color scheme.

I enjoy seeing you put it all together.

Charlie Larkin

#47 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:14 AM

After thinking all night why my paint finish didn't come up to scratch, I thought I might have left the wrong needle set up in the airbrush, but checking this morning, it wasn't, anyway it was all flatted down last night and washed in warm soapy water and left to dry, go on with it this morning, and after a little bit of playing around thinning the paint a little, I got a much better finish, it will need to dry out for a few days before I crack on with the polishing ....

Posted Image

Posted Image

#48 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,635 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:13 AM

The pinstriping on the white car you showed above might be a dark crimson red like this one.

Posted Image

This is another angle on the Barris car in your picture, which to my eyes also appears to have red striping.

Posted Image

Edited by sjordan2, 19 October 2012 - 05:22 AM.

#49 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

The pinstriping on the white car you showed above might be a dark crimson red like this one.

Thanks ... I was thinking that perhaps the pinstripe might be done to match the seat colour,

#50 imatt88

imatt88

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Full Name:Ian Matthews

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

Geoff,

Excellent work, as usual :)

Cheers, Ian

#51 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

Got a little more done on the Stutz, fitted the engine and exhaust system and started to polish out the paint

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bonnet and fuel tank haven't been glued in place, just there to show the progress .....

#52 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

That's looking very nice, Geoff. White and red is a pretty color combination. How do you propose to do the striping?

Charlie Larkin

#53 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

How do you propose to do the striping?

I'm still scratching my head on that one ! ....

#54 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,824 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

http://www.amazon.co...chart tape 1/16

#55 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

That was going to be my suggestion, either that or the smallest paint brush ever manufactured and a lot of tape or other sheilding on the rest of the body.

Charlie Larkin

#56 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

I think (As Usual) I'm going to go for the hard way and mask up and airbrush them on ... wish me luck !

#57 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,824 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

That was going to be my suggestion, either that or the smallest paint brush ever manufactured and a lot of tape or other sheilding on the rest of the body.

Charlie Larkin

I don't think there's any way to successfully mask off everything and paint the stripes that way. It would be a huge hassle. The thin striping tape would be the easiest way to go. I know they sell two types of tape, regular (for straight lines) and the crepe type that I linked to (for radiuses and bends). My only question is how tight of a radius you can get? As in the front ends of the front fenders.

Another way to go would be to use the regular striping tape and do all the straight lines, then fill in the radiuses with paint, a sharp brush and a steady hand. But that's asking for trouble... and I don't know how steady Geoff's hand is!

Another alternative I thought of was to draw the striping on with a Sharpie... but again, that's just a disaster waiting to happen, because you get one shot to get it right. Once the red line goes down, there's no removing it without messing up the paint.

#58 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Full Name:It really is Gluhead

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

I would simply foil the areas and sandwich #11's together, like the lowrider guys do to get their crazy lines. If you haven't studied their techniques you really have no idea what's possible. There are several threads here that show the process well enough to get going with it. :)

#59 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

Well after a few days scratching the old head, I thought I would make a mask for it, but once it was cut out, it wasn't a 100% good fit, so back to the drawing board, in the end I just got some 18mm Tamiya tape out of the tool box and trimmed it into thin strips and did it the long way, only got the one wing done, I will get it all masked up in the next few days, and use enamel to do the read, much easier to sort if it all goes pear shape as the body is painted in lacquer

Posted Image

#60 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,635 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

I agree with Harry about pinstriping tape. Here is a selection in a variety of sizes from Model Expo. The tape brand is Line O Tape. As for the gas tank, I wonder if red sidewall tire striping might be useful for the gas tank? If not, a circle template and red Sharpie or other pen would work. I don't know what brands are available in Britain. Otherwise, the ridges that need to be painted appear to be strong enough for using masking tape to paint with a brush.

Go to page 2.

http://www.modelexpo...=20&STARTPAGE=2

Edited by sjordan2, 24 October 2012 - 12:01 PM.