#21 Bartster

Bartster

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Full Name:Bart E Deatherage

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:11 AM

Excellent! l'll be 1st in line, & l'm taking it upon myself to read "Sox & Martin" into this!

#22 Mr mopar

Mr mopar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Full Name:Doug Spencer

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:27 AM

Good work Tim on the 70' Cuda that is awesome, now if Revell would only do a 70' Charger R/T se to finish off the second generation Charger line , I can only hope.

#23 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:35 AM

A 'racing' version would be an excellant idea, question is which one ????????? My vote would be a Sox and Martin car.

I think you are correct, especially considering the S&M '67 GTX is about to be reissued for a second time. Add narrow slicks, arched leaf springs, longer rear shocks...well, pretty much do what they did with the race versions in the '68 Hemi Dart and '68 Charger R/T kits.

Thanks for sharing all the insider info, Tim. It must've been quite a relief to finally see/hear this kit announced, and finally be able to talk about it.

#24 Green Duster

Green Duster

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Kaplan

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:52 AM

Yeah Ha! About time we get a "good" Cuda. I've been waiting for a long time.

#25 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:59 AM

I still have plenty of faith in Aoshima's desire to kit a muscle car & enter the Nth American market, it's just that the subject will obviously have to change, hopefully, for another car that's high on everyones must-have list? That decision is out of my hands but I'll keep everyone informed of any new direction, if at all, they want to go in.

Easy. A '68 or '69 Chevelle SS396 or a '67 -'68 Camaro RS/SS

#26 Jim_Kampmann

Jim_Kampmann

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Kampmann

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:02 AM

Thanks Tim for the 'Cuda recap - really exciting news! (IMHO). As a huge E body fan (and former 'Cuda owner- don't go there), this kit should do very well. Wish I could have been there first hand to see it with you!

Thanks,

Jim Kampmann

#27 dieseldog1970

dieseldog1970

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Full Name:Curt Stickley

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:19 AM

THANK YOU REVELL!!!!

THANK YOU TIM FOR ALL YOUR HARDWORK....KUDO'S, HIGH FIVES AND IF WE EVER MEET....A COLD ONE!!!! :D

#28 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:28 AM

This is GREAT news!

If this tooling is done right (and all visual indications we have so far looks like it is), this could be Revell's biggest seller EVER!

Must...save.....model kit.........$$$ ;)

Thanks Tim for all you do for the hobby!

#29 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:43 AM

This is great news! From what I can tell in the few photos I've seen, it looks like Revell has finally got it right!

Tim, now maybe you could convince Revell to kit a '68 or '69 Chevelle SS396. While they're at it, they could also do a '66 SS396. That would only require a new body and interior. They already have the rest. I know Lindberg made one,but it leaves quite a bit to be desired.

#30 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,824 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:45 AM

I want to say a BIG thanks. NOW PLEASE no bashing umtil it is out.

So then we can begin the bashing? :lol:

#31 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,855 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:53 AM

I saw you talkin with those gentlemen over by the table, but I didn't want to interrupt your discussion. It's REALLY cool to see guys such as yourselves just diggin the show. Your news is GREAT to hear. I'm one of those guys who paid stupid prices for both the MPC 70 and 71 Cudas. I think it's a BEAUTIFUL car and I'll DEFINATELY get a few more when they come out!!!! THANKS for your persistance Tim!!!!

Edited by george 53, 07 October 2012 - 05:55 AM.

#32 caine440

caine440

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  • Full Name:Roger

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

OUTSTANDINH NEWS!
There are sooo many cars I want to do with this kit!
Thank you for the info!

#33 dimebolt

dimebolt

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Full Name:Corey M. Jackson

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:13 AM

EXELLENT!!!!
Corey

#34 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

Great reaction from everyone to the new 'cuda news.

I appreciate any credit you want to give me, but all I did was supply information, ideas, and sources. If you talk to the guys at Revell, apparently many others did the same as well.

All the credit really belongs to the team at Revell. THEY are the ones that did all the hard work, the planning, the budgeting, the engineering and fabrication, and the like to finally make this idea a reality.

Best regards...TIM

#35 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

Artful....I don't know the specifics of why a kit takes a certain amount of time to come out.

A company may have a kit on their "to do list" for many years (I understand that the Revell Midget was in the plans for 10 years before it came out). A model company has to think through their entire kit catalog (not just genres of cars and trucks, but planes, mililtary, special interests, etc.) and make sure they have a balanced portfolio of new ideas each year. Maybe there are other ideas that just plain outrank our chosen topic, until it too eventually makes it to the top of the list.

Then there is the availablity of capital, human resources, scheduling at tooling vendors, etc., etc. Once a kit is committed to production, they have to find the correct 1/1 scale car to research (a really important decision for a kit like this), design the kit, commission the tooling, then do several rounds of evaluation and correction of the tooling. Once the kit enters production, they need to complete the production run, get it on the water to the States, and then into the distribution system. Given the expectations of today's marketplace, and especially the expectations around getting the body right on this particular model, it's not too hard for me to understand the amount of time involved between a decision to go ahead and the kit appearing in the hobby store. I want to emphasize that this is my general knowledge of the subject, not a specific recap of any one kit or manufacturer's timing situation.

As to why I or anybody else didn't say anything publicly about Revell's new 'cuda until now, I can only vouch for myself. Until I saw the Facebook post on Revell's website a couple of days ago, I didn't know for 100% sure that the kit would be produced. And then there is the matter of confidentiality - in a venture like this, a company has a right to expect confidentiality about future plans when they discuss them with outsiders, and that's something that I and others involved take very seriously.

There are any number of instances in the last 50+ years of this hobby where plans of one manufacturer to do a particular kit subject were scuttled when they heard unauthorized news of another manufacturer's plans Sometimes the news was false - and that was the precise reason we didn't get a kit of the '49 or '50 Olds until this month vs. the original plans being made in the mid 1960's by one of our favorite U.S. model companies which were cancelled when they heard - incorrectly it turned out - that another manufacturer planned to product the same topic. Sure didn't want to see that repeated with this topic!

Hope that explains at least a little bit of the background, at least as I know it.

Best regards...TIM

#36 Darin Bastedo

Darin Bastedo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

I do have 1 more question Tim, do you know or can someone from Revell, explain or give a reason as to why this kit still won't be on the market for another 9-10 months?? Is there a problem with the kit/parts? Do they have to make any modifications? Is there a licensing problem ( shouldn't think so ) ? I'm interested as to why companies like Aoshima/Tamiya/Fujimi can kit up a model of a 1:1 car that's only just gone on sale or is yet to go on sale & get it onto shelves so quickly & quite accurately, semi-curbside or properly detailed, yet it take's Revell more than 3 whole years, after twice failing in accuracy levels, to kit up a car that has been readily available on local roads, streets, highways & bi-ways for 42 yrs??? Can ANYONE explain this?? Surely Revell, being the biggest car-kit manufacturer in America & quite possibly internationally, has the finances & same, if not better, technology, than the other kit manufacturers to get a product/subject to the market place just as quick as the smaller companies, no? Or is it a work ethic?? Laziness? Or is it a tall-poppy thing? Meaning they'll do what they want, when they want & let everyone else eat cake?? I'm very interested to know just exactly why Revell take's so long to do... Anything?
Thanks & cheers Dan

What's with all the attitude? Does it really matter when it comes out? Are they not coming out with something new just about every month? This month the '50 Olds, next month the '62 vette, Dec, we get a '57 ford, and we're still getting the stacy david rat roaster, several modified re-issues all these are being produced in a specific order. do you expect them to run everything at once? what they displayed were test shots, and while they looked fairly complete I could tell there was more tooling to be done. Don't worry though it looks like enough models will be coming out to keep us busy for quite a while.

#37 Dave

Dave

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Sciano

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

What's with all the attitude? Does it really matter when it comes out? Are they not coming out with something new just about every month? This month the '50 Olds, next month the '62 vette, Dec, we get a '57 ford, and we're still getting the stacy david rat roaster, several modified re-issues all these are being produced in a specific order. do you expect them to run everything at once? what they displayed were test shots, and while they looked fairly complete I could tell there was more tooling to be done. Don't worry though it looks like enough models will be coming out to keep us busy for quite a while.

And we must remember, these are TEST shots, I'm sure there will be a great deal of QA done, tweaking after that, Instructions to be written, decals done more QA, and all this while many other projects are in the works. I've got plenty to keep me busy, It'll probably take me nine months to build the Olds, '62 Vette and Rat Roaster anyway! Carry on Revell!

#38 W-Machine

W-Machine

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Full Name:Craig Enz

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

Yeah Ha! About time we get a "good" Cuda. I've been waiting for a long time.

I hope this is as good as the '72 Hurst/Olds (I bought five of 'em) which was a very well-done kit.

#39 SteveG

SteveG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

Great job on the back story of the 70 'cuda Tim. Since you missed out on seeing them yesterday I thought I'd add some photos. One note if it wasn't mentioned. This version won't have the rear spoiler as shown here. Hopefully they'll update the box art photos. Anyway here's the first batch .....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#40 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts