Johnag4004

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Full Name:John Andrew Griffiths

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

Hi all,

Just wondering if I could pick your brains please, has anyone any idea why this is happening please...: -

Posted Image

I was starting to sand it down but for some reason the primer just wants to peel off, surface was fully cleaned down etc before hand...

Thank you in advance for any help...

#2 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,052 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

Did you prep metal ! Maybe a primer sealer would work ?

#3 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

For metal, particularly diecast (or Zamak) as the alloy is known, it really takes an etching primer to adhere completely. Check for self-etch primer wherever you buy automotive touchup paints.

Art

#4 Johnag4004

Johnag4004

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Full Name:John Andrew Griffiths

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the reply chaps, think I night pop to my local parts shop and get a tin of auto primer and give that a try, never had this problem with it before and I prepared it the same way, full strip down again I guess...

Thanks again...

#5 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,200 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

I would also suggest you use isopropyl alcohol and clean white paper towels for your final, pre-primer cleaning. I haven't had an adhesion problem since I've started religiously using those, even on 200mph 1:1 aircraft. Just a tiny bit of oily contamination can play the devil with adhesion.

I agree absolutely with Art.....self-etching primer will help on metal. A word of caution though....it's way too hot for a lot of currently available polystyrene kit plastic.

#6 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

I would also suggest you use isopropyl alcohol and clean white paper towels for your final, pre-primer cleaning. I haven't had an adhesion problem since I've started religiously using those, even on 200mph 1:1 aircraft. Just a tiny bit of oily contamination can play the devil with adhesion.

I agree absolutely with Art.....self-etching primer will help on metal. A word of caution though....it's way too hot for a lot of currently available polystyrene kit plastic.

Both true and untrue! I've used self-etch primer (Duplicolor, if my memory serves me right) on a couple of diecast models that were converted using styrene model kit body panels. Of course, I airbrushed it rather than using the rattle can.

Art

#7 fatkidd

fatkidd

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

aside from the etching primer, as already mentioned, I would scuff it up a bit more before spraying primer on it again.

the isopropyl alcohol is a good idea also...or you could use white vinegar as a wipe down