#21 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Croft

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:50 AM

I have some 442 motors to choose from but I also have a ZR-1 motor that may find its way in here.

#22 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

Well, tonight the top came off. I decided to go with the more difficult chop where you cut the roof into quarters. I like the look better, the new roof is wider which plays up how low it is and the rear window doesn't slant as much and I don't really care for the fastback look on this car.

The first cut I made was across the roof width wise at the door line on the B pillars.
Posted Image

Next was the lengthwise cut.
Posted Image

Here the roof is quartered and the B posts have been removed, the A and C postd have been cut down about six scale inches.
Posted Image

Here is the roof tacked in place with tape, you can see how much will need to be filled.
Posted Image

This is the new roof profile, it still needs some fine tuning and I need to decide what to do with the B posts. I also removed the drip rails from the roof side and the chrome strip from the top of the doors.
Posted Image

#23 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

I have the roof glued back together and ready for filler and a Boyd Smoothster on the way to donate it's drivetrain and maybe some other things depending on how it looks. When it gets here this should pick up again.

#24 Duntov

Duntov

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Lucianno

"Mi sono perso"

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Nice!!

#25 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

I finally got my drivetrain donor in the mail so I really need to get back on this.

#26 bryan_m

bryan_m

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts
  • Full Name:Bryan Mccallum

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

KOOL!

cant wait to see what ya cook up!
bryan

#27 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:45 AM

Nice work on the chop Brian! Quartering the roof is the only way to do a chop right. Since you've widened the rear fenders, are you going to fill in the fenderwell opening? You mentioned changing the shape of the quarter windows. How about canting the B pillar slightly? That would change the shape of your quarter and door windows.

#28 Ira

Ira

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,089 posts
  • Full Name:Ira Dahm

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

GREAT PROGRESS BRIAN!!!

#29 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,831 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

I have some 442 motors to choose from but I also have a ZR-1 motor that may find its way in here.

If you wanted to go with something late model, you could also rob the Shebly-tuned Aurora 4.0 V8 from the Revell Shelby Series 1, though you might need to find a conventional gearbox as that car has the late Corvette type torque tube/rear-mounted transaxle.

#30 Bartster

Bartster

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Full Name:Bart E Deatherage

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

I don't have any idea what to use for power, I would really like to keep the drivetrain Olds but I want a modern motor. I don't want to have to drop a 350 in it just to get some updated parts.

.......Hey Brian, check with Sean (sstacey47). He casts an underhood blown, injected set up for a BBC. l easily adapted it to a 426 hemi & it looks wicked! l'm sure it would be even easier to adapt it to a 455. Just a thought. Bart

#31 H.A.K

H.A.K

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Full Name:Samuel Denehy

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Lookin real good man.

#32 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

I picked up a Boyd Smoothster with a late model 350 with a nice multiport fuel injection top, it looks good since it came from a clean modern custom. I'm thinking about rescribing the door lines to make a pseudo hardtop and removing the B pillar completely. I'm probably going to leave the wheel openings alone to show off the wheels when I pick them out.

Here is a pic of the engine, it's plain but will get the job done.
Posted Image