10 replies to this topic

#1 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

I picked up this kit a few days ago, so here are a few pics of what's inside. The more recent modified reissue '48 Ford Custom Coupe 3'n1 was reviewed here: http://www.modelcars...= 48 ford&st=0 so I will try not to double up on what was presented there.

The Pro Modeler premium brand was something new at Revell-Monogram in 1998, so the box was done up full glossy style, with full-color images on all sides, showing off the kit's features. It's a really nice way to "sell" a model when it's in the hands of the consumer, but I'm not sure it led to more sales when compared to the standard type two-part box.

The kit itself is typical 2'n'1 kit, with stock and custom building options. The differnces between stock and custom include: front and rear seats, door panels, and steering wheels; steel wheels, dog dish "Ford" embossed hubcaps and Goodyear Super Cushion wide whitewalls for stock, Goodyear big 'n' little Blue Steak Sports Car Special tires with raised lettering and 5-slot wheels with "Revell" embossed baby moon hubcaps for the custom version; stock and Motor City Flatheads triple-carb'ed custom engine options; stock and modern batteries; and stock and Carson-style tops (yes, it includes with TWO uptops! ;))

I will likely never build this one, but it is going to make an excellent parts donor, in particular for the upcoming '49 Mercury with the non-stock Cadiilac engine. :huh: The whitewall tires are really nice, and I'm assuming these have been included in other Revell kits since (or maybe before?) this kit was issued? The Ford hubcaps look the same as those in the '50 Ford pickup, and the Goodyear Blue Streak tires are definitely the same as those found in the '65 Shelby GT350-R kit, and the '32 Ford coupes and sedan kit, after the sidewalls were wiped clean. :(

#2 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

What are the four black and four white partial rings (#24) on the decal sheet?

:huh:

#3 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

What are the four black and four white partial rings (#24) on the decal sheet?

They are stripes for use with the stock wheels, and are to be placed just inboard of the hubcaps, according to the instructions. The ends will meet once applied, thereby closing the circle, even though they look like they wouldn't. The area of the wheel they are applied to is tapered.

#4 dodgefever

dodgefever

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

I will likely never build this one, but it is going to make an excellent parts donor, in particular for the upcoming '49 Mercury with the non-stock Cadiilac engine. :huh:

Not really - for a start, the '49-'53 flatheads have different blocks and heads. Separate bellhousing on the later engines, and the water necks moved from the centre to the front of the heads. Transmissions were also completely different from '49 up.

Edited by dodgefever, 14 October 2012 - 09:26 PM.

#5 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

If you really want a "flattie" for that Woody wagon, get the one out of AMT's '49 Merc kit, that one will work in the Revell kit, & it comes with some speed equipment also. It may not be up to current standards as far as detail goes, but it is a lot closer to stock than the Caddy engine is. The nice thing is the AMT kits are available pretty cheap right now, you just have to shop a little, I think the most I've paid for any in the last few years is $10, & as little as $3, & there is a few usable kitbash parts in it, & if you are of the old school you can even do your own style chop on it.

#6 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

Not really - for a start, the '49-'53 flatheads have different blocks and heads. Separate bellhousing on the later engines, and the water necks moved from the centre to the front of the heads. Transmissions were also completely different from '49 up.

Yes, you're correct. If somebody is buidling the '49 Woodie totally stock, the '48 Ford's flattie would not be correct.

#7 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,231 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:40 AM

The flat head engine in the later releases of the AMT '49 Ford coupe would work. They don't have the hole in the block for the axle in those issues. Then there's also the flat head in the stock Revell/Monogram '50 Ford F-1.

#8 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,739 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

1998 is 'retro' now? :lol:
If you can't find this one, the Goodguys reissue from a few years back is more or less the same kit with a different decal sheet... custom 'Revell' script hubcaps and all.

#9 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

I like this ProModeler issue.

I have one too. I also have the twin 40.

I was surprised to find the one piece solid tampo/painted tires in this

kit, but 2 piece Styrene insert white wall versions of the Same tire in the 40!!

#10 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

I like this ProModeler issue.

I have one too. I also have the twin 40.

I was surprised to find the one piece solid tampo/painted tires in this

kit, but 2 piece Styrene insert white wall versions of the Same tire in the 40!!

The pre-painted(?) whitewalls in the PM '48 kit are super nice. I wonder if they were included in any other kits?

#11 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Would be nice.

I do remember that the tires were not painted in the Woody, I have one I started some time ago.

I need to check to see if they are the Super Cushion,s like in this Convert,

or the Airwheel's like in their 37 Ford Trucks. (That is what I though they were!)

Went to too much trouble on that Woody!. I cut all 4 doors out and trying to hinge them!!

I would actually like a couple more of the Insert sets from the 40.

I could use them for a Galaxie 48 Chevy S-D.