So, first to be modified is the suspension. I filed away some 3 mm off the mounting point on the front leafs cut the rear mounts and ground about the same off the rear airbags as well. By the way I think it's easier to do this on the Kenworth than the Pete. I wanted to lower the cab on the frame as well but I didn't want to mess with fitting the hood again with the cab. So now it sits pretty much where it's supposed to anyway.
After some thinking... I decided to lower the battery boxes and fuel tanks a little and add some cab extensions at the bottom. I also lenghtened 5 cm (or 5 scale ft) the frame right behind the cab with some evergreen stock. I got tired of playing with the kit's tires and I broke an axle so I got rid of the back ones. Though I tried fitting some Italeri tires on and since they fit better than i thought so I still might use the kit rims with them. The front ones fit pretty nicely so I kept them.
I will fit the DD 8V92 from the GMC General, since it's supposed to be a "show" truck, I tought it would look better under the hood. I got some green and gold Peterbilt "half arrow" decals from Modeltruckin and tought of painting the body black with a decal matching green frame but it might just end up black as well. I ordered some rear fenders from Eric at P&P so those will go on with a custom rear bumper and brackets. The frame is boxed and I cut the back end off as I found it a little too long at the back.
So it's a start. Positive or negative and constructive comments of interested people welcome...
Now, the pictures:
Overall look and lowered stance
Front wheel to fender gap and press button hub cap
New frame lenght
step cut on frame
Temporary wheels from Freightliner, notice cut airbags
Kit bumper to be replaced with wider Texas style based on kit bumper shape
Showing lowered front suspension mount
front axle was filed at the mounting points. This makes the front end a little weak for my taste but this truck won't be working very hard anyway...
Another view showing the front wheel with the button cap. I cut off the prongs from the cap with Xuron shears and ground them a little. Then I glued them on the wheels with epoxy 5 min.
More to come later...
Edited by BigBad, 13 October 2012 - 12:27 PM.