#41 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts
  • Full Name:Christian

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

Also mentioned earlier in this thread that in the book the car is a 58 Plymouth sedan (4 door), this is both correct and incorrect. At the start of the book it is referred to as a 2 door coupe, in the middle it's a sedan (when the hitch hiker opens the back door) and at the end it's a 2 door again. The reason for this is King wrote the middle of the book first, than came back later and wrote the beginning and end and had forgotten it was a sedan. ;)

Also in the book, the gear shift lever moves by itself and the door lock knobs go up and down.

#42 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

Put my name on the list for an accurate body.
In fact, put my name on the list of the 30 people ordering a Fury kit from Don Holthaus as well.

#43 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

Okay, I know she was a pushbutton but didn't they have door lock knobs? They were there in the movie and I can't imagine them adding the knobs just for a half second shot.

I have never seen any:

Posted Image

Then again, I may be wrong. I have never owned a 57 or 58 Plymouth. But I've owned a 59 and that sure has no door lock knobs:

Posted Image

I had numerous other 57-63 Mopars, and none of them had door lock knobs. Based on this, and the 59 Plymouth I had, and what I see in pics, I always assumed the 57-58 Plymouths didn't have any either.

Edited by Junkman, 26 October 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#44 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

Okay please don't say it like that. It will lead people to believe he is issuing a kit when thirty people are signed up and waiting.

[disclaimer] It was an attempt at humour [/disclaimer]

#45 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

I just mentioned it to enable the discussion take on a DoH twist. We could philosophise whether door lock knobs and a gearshift lever need to be added to build an exact replica of the car in the book/movie...

Edited by Junkman, 26 October 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#46 gpugh1976

gpugh1976

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Pugh

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

Ok. I'm confused. Don doesn't want it copied but we can't order 30 of them so he'll start punching them out again. But yet we need to figure out what's wrong with the body.....?

Who's going to make them?

#47 Dirkpitt289

Dirkpitt289

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Full Name:Dirk Pitt

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

This is another kit I would love to get my hands on.

#48 Green Duster

Green Duster

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Kaplan

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:17 AM

I liked the kit. About the only thing about the new version is the box art.

Attached Files

#49 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:23 AM

I have one of the original issue kits that I bought when it was new and I didn't know about the inaccuracies until just recently (no, I haven't been living in a cave).  I have plans to build the kit as a shelf model of a street machine, probably with parts box running gear, wheels and tires and some other odds and ends.  I might even take it to a show or two.  As much as I would like to say that the kit or finished model would be 100% accurate I know it won't be but how many kits and/or finished models really are :huh: ?  I realize that my opinion is bordering on the blasphemous, but all too often, I find myself at my bench or somewhere else, getting way too serious about a model...

#50 Drake69

Drake69

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Full Name:Allen Manley

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:09 AM

2013-01-29_10-27-13_923.jpg

2013-01-29_10-27-24_100.jpg

Just as been speculated, the kit is nearly identical to the Belvedere kit in just about every way. The only thing added which I found pretty cool was the decal sheet.

2013-01-29_10-29-12_22.jpg

The white areas of the sheet are white lettering saying things like "Arnie Is Mine", "Pledging My Love", "Christine, She's A Killer", "Leigh" crossed through like it was etched out, and "Arnie" inside a heart, The "Christine" decals look kinda ok, as well as the faded flames, but they aren't what interest me. The two deshboard bezels (they look almost identical as I can't see the lettering without a magnifying glass) are pretty nice, the license plates are a definite necessity for any "decent" Christine model, and the "Darnell's Tonight" begs you to buy another kit just to stick that on the hood. My only gripe is the molded in red which is minor at best, and since they're doing one in white it's really a moot point. I'll be using the Belvedere model body for the "prettied-up" car and the Round 2 one as the "$250 Mechanic's Special" rust-bucket.

"Oops.... Sorry, Christine."

M58Christine06.jpg

One other thing of note. Just like the Belvedere kit, this one is also missing the "Golden Commando" Carter dual-carb setup...

Christine-Engine.jpg

...and the lettering on the side fins still says "Belvedere" on them, but again, no surprise. Getting the photoetch kit from MCG goes a long way to making this a decent Christine

Edited by Drake69, 29 January 2013 - 07:34 AM.

#51 cooltoys1

cooltoys1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Full Name:Jay Ignatjew

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

Can you please show the rest of the kit.  Is the rest molded in red too?

#52 57peppershaker

57peppershaker

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Peppershaker

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

I have 1 of the pro shop, pre-painted issues, still unbuilt. The 'Darnells tonight' decal is fantastic. If anybody wont use this, I will be pleased to trade for it. 

I dont really want to buy another kit, just for that decal sheet.

I built Dennis's Charger from a General Lee kit about 20 years ago & planned a figure of Dennis scratching Christines hood diarama. The fact both kits have inaccuracys doesnt worry me.

This was on another site, sadly not my build, but its fantastic !

Attached File  DSCF1590.JPG   93.26KB   52 downloads

Attached File  12251028211b4fc1.jpg   65.63KB   56 downloads

Edited by 57peppershaker, 29 January 2013 - 06:54 AM.

#53 JamesW

JamesW

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • Full Name:James WastaWTF

Curb Appeal M.C.C. President

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

I'll be buying this kit just for the box art. It will never be opened, just sitting on a shelf with the rest of the Christine collection.

#54 cooltoys1

cooltoys1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Full Name:Jay Ignatjew

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

i just bought a case of em!!

#55 Drake69

Drake69

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Full Name:Allen Manley

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

I'll try to get some more pix up but yes, the entire kit except for the whitewall inserts is molded in red. No extra parts seem to have been added.

#56 azers

azers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Full Name:Joe l. Spitzer

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

Ok, so what kit do you have to rob to get the induction set up. Intake, carbs, and aircleaners.

#57 JamesW

JamesW

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • Full Name:James WastaWTF

Curb Appeal M.C.C. President

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

Not sure of the kit they're available in, but someone on here was casting them in resin, can't remember who though. I bought a couple sets off him a while back, nice pieces.

#58 Funkster

Funkster

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Funck

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

As far as the door locks on a 1957 - 1960 Plymouth's. There were no door lock nobs on the top of the door, as in all Mopars at the time. You locked the door by pushing the inside door handle forward to lock the door, pulled it back to open the door. I grew up with these cars as a child. Parents had 1956, 1958, 1959 and a 1960 Plymouths. On the Plymouth site Plymouth Run, it states that there was 23 Plymouths bought at the cost $500000.00 and turned them into 58 Furys. Theres a lot of info on these cars at the web site.

#59 azers

azers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

I seem to remember a amt kit that had dual carbs and aircleaners, was it the chrysler 300. If you look at christine while shes on the assembly line she has different aircleaner assemblies than later in the movie when they are chrome. Also the belvedere scripts was supposed to be removed and either fury or belevedere was supposed to be on the decal sheet. So either model could be built. Is that true. I thought i read that from the show reports.

Edited by azers, 29 January 2013 - 07:00 PM.

#60 azers

azers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Futurabat. Do you have the carbs and aircleaners cast. I would be interested in a few sets. Thank you.