#81 azers

azers

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Full Name:Joe l. Spitzer

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Why did the quote even have to be made here in the first place?

#82 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,771 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

Why did the quote even have to be made here in the first place?

It didn't, and that's the point.

I removed the original quote, so let's move on.

#83 azers

azers

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

Now for pictures of christines engine are there any good ones and where would one find detailed pictures of the carbration systems on her?

#84 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

Therin lies the rub Joe. There is so much debate on so many boards over the color, induction style, even the suspension has been almost as suspect as the actual color of the car. I have decided for myself that it's a fantasy non-production car from a fantasy movie and i'm just going to get right the things most agreed upon and hang the rest. I'll choose a color that looks best to me and build the engine as close as possible. I think the engine pic shown earlier is as close as we're going to get. Maybe if we're lucky we can find out what brand of carb they were using back then at Plymouth and surmise from there. <_< 

#85 azers

azers

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

I guess your right casey. Its one of those. Could be anything type builds. Onwards to the build and research we go. If i find out pictures ill post them.

#86 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

Just watched the movie on AMC.... From certain angles the trim looks just as hokey on the rral car in the movie as it does on the model. I am beginning to beleive there is a slight curvature to the trim but it it exaggerated by shrinking down the size to 1/25th scale. the belt line and roof are still a little hokey as mentioned. Not trying to fuel the fire and beat a dead horse, just an observation. FWIW

I have one of these in my stash because there is a Larry Watson custom I want to replicate. 

As they came out of the factory in '57-'58, there may have been a misalignment or two of the trim, not a "curve" as what's seen on the RC2 body. I was at our local Chrysler's at Carlisle show years ago, and I spoke at length to a fellow right at the side of his pristine '58 Belvedere with the "sport trim". He commented to me that he bought the kit because there was finally a detailed model of his car that he could build (he had the kit with him), but was very turned off by the "curved trim".

Now I saw in 3D, and as he pointed out--------the trim (top part) should be straight from nose to tail, with the bottom part angling up to meet the front fender. The tailfins start just behind the door at a very slight angle upward, and then bump up further towards the rear. RC2 missed this detail by a long shot choosing to keep the beltline straight (almost), and then bump the fin upwards. This gives the body that "bent banana" look that's been talked about.............

Hmmm..............I just MIGHT do a rather lengthy tutorial on how to fix this body once and for all, and without a lot of expense of buying a Johan (nee X-EL) '59 Dodge or Plymouth to fix that roof. Of course I want to finish that '59 Chevy first, and then I have to think about the '58 Plymouth. It's just that for many years now, that kit has bugged me, and IMO it will never be fixed correctly by Round 2. :angry:

#87 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:33 AM

As they came out of the factory in '57-'58, there may have been a misalignment or two of the trim, not a "curve" as what's seen on the RC2 body. I was at our local Chrysler's at Carlisle show years ago, and I spoke at length to a fellow right at the side of his pristine '58 Belvedere with the "sport trim". He commented to me that he bought the kit because there was finally a detailed model of his car that he could build (he had the kit with him), but was very turned off by the "curved trim".

Now I saw in 3D, and as he pointed out--------the trim (top part) should be straight from nose to tail, with the bottom part angling up to meet the front fender. The tailfins start just behind the door at a very slight angle upward, and then bump up further towards the rear. RC2 missed this detail by a long shot choosing to keep the beltline straight (almost), and then bump the fin upwards. This gives the body that "bent banana" look that's been talked about.............

Hmmm..............I just MIGHT do a rather lengthy tutorial on how to fix this body once and for all, and without a lot of expense of buying a Johan (nee X-EL) '59 Dodge or Plymouth to fix that roof. Of course I want to finish that '59 Chevy first, and then I have to think about the '58 Plymouth. It's just that for many years now, that kit has bugged me, and IMO it will never be fixed correctly by Round 2. :angry:

The kit was loosely based on a 1/18 scale diecast, which suffers from the same discrepancies.

IIRC it was tooled when they kicked all the talent out of the model kit r&d department.

#88 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

The kit was loosely based on a 1/18 scale diecast, which suffers from the same discrepancies.

IIRC it was tooled when they kicked all the talent out of the model kit r&d department.

Yeah, I had heard that from someone.............. :(

It's too bad-----what could have been a knockout/accurate kit, turned into nothing more than a mediocre one.

#89 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

83 corvette

?????? :huh:

#90 cooltoys1

cooltoys1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Full Name:Jay Ignatjew

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

oops, i mean 83 Chevrolet Spectra Red

#91 Nxr

Nxr

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Full Name:Eugene Zaets

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

First the windshield is cracked when i bought this kit, 2nd time the return process takes forever and the 2nd package took forever to get from the mail because i missed the delivery.. bad luck kit

#92 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,771 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

bad luck kit

Well, considering the subject matter...