In Progress: Revell Dodge Ram VTS
Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:28 PM
Wheels are from the Revell Dodge Magnum kit, stripped of their chrome. I will be leaving them unpainted, I like the molded color. This is just about what the stance will be as well, based on early test-fitting.
Interior color scheme is Testors Fabric Gray and gray primer, dash is Walmart's brand flat black.
I wanted a more traditional, old-school Mopar look for the engine, so the block is painted Testors Hemi Orange, transmission is a mix of Tamiya colors, and the intake, valve covers, and headers are, I think, Krylon silver.
On the hood, I filled in the creases with Tamiya putty and will mold on the scoop off a Monogram '79 Z28...I got the idea from a build of Sean Svendson, which has a resin hood incorporating a AAR 'cuda-style scoop.
Color scheme, I think, is gonna be Testors White Lightning one-coat lacquer, with some sort of graphics in Testors GTS Blue Pearl. Stay tuned...
Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:38 PM
Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:11 PM
at first i thought you had the roof marked out for removal, they made dakota convertibles for 1 year, i forget what they are called.........we had a couple on the lat back in the day...
Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:16 PM
For this build, it'll be keeping its hat on.
Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:01 PM
A little detailing on the dashboard...hard to see in the pic, but the radio display was coated with Tamiya Transparent Green, to replicate the green display on Chrysler radios of the time.
That'll be about it until next weekend...
Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:04 PM
that putty will sand out, doesnt matter what it looks like now.........keep it goin
Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:59 PM
Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:06 AM
IIRC, some of the early Shelby Dakotas were convertibles, weren't they?
Nope, Dakota Sports were the only to carry the convertible ideal.
here's a modded one I found on the interwebz of a Dakota Sport
and a shelby dakota
Very nice build thus far!
Edited by relaxednoma, 23 October 2012 - 01:06 AM.
Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:11 PM
Didn't like the size of the kit's brake rotors, so I made my own from steel washers and bits of painted styrene:
Engine and radiator installed:
Grille and bumper grilles opened:
Hood scoop molded on, although now that there's color applied, I see it needs a bit more massaging and smoothing along the sides of the scoop:
My paint scheme also changed from what was planned...I had shot it with Testors White Lightning lacquer, but wasn't sold on the appearance, so new color is Testors Citrus Yellow lacquer, and it will have black stripes of some sort along the sides of the body. Unsure if I will keep the black insert in the hood scoop or just black out the middle portion of the hood altogether...
Edited by Captain Obvious, 03 November 2012 - 05:13 PM.
Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:37 PM