#21 Simpleman

Simpleman

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Full Name:James StJohn

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

Here one that got my attention , the car that could have been back in the day Posted Image

http://blog.hemmings...daytona_02_700/

Edited by Simpleman, 11 November 2012 - 10:05 AM.

#22 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Guys, I built one of these back around 2003/2004 using AMT's '71 Charger with the nose, fender scoops and wing from their garbage Daytona kit. It went together nicely, then I did a '71 Duster as a Superbird for a buddy of mine. Give one a shot, it's very easy to do, and makes for a very cool model for your display case!

1st paint scheme...
Posted Image

Repainted in Red and Gunmetal...
Posted Image

And the SuperDuster, it still hasn't been built and I finished the body for him in 2007!
Posted Image

Edited by Custom Mike, 11 November 2012 - 01:04 PM.

#23 dimebolt

dimebolt

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Full Name:Corey M. Jackson

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

Pretty cool man.
Corey

#24 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,833 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

I like them! Pretty cool stuff.

#25 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

I delivered papers to a dealership that had a row of superbirds parked front and center street-side, at least one in every color that was made at that time.

it was an awesome sight for a gearhead that was getting a drivers license real soon. :)

#26 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Those '71 Daytonas are sweet....love the 1:1 '69 Daytona convertible phantom...I want to build that one in 1:25th..

#27 Simpleman

Simpleman

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Full Name:James StJohn

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

I don't believe that was possible. NASCAR required (for eligibility) that at least one car be built for every two dealerships there were. In 1970 that meant 1,920 cars had to be built. Around 1,935 were actually built. Considering several birds were shipped to and sold in Canada, there was less than one available, per dealership. There were a total of seven colors available so i'm having trouble with "a row of superbirds" as well as "at least one in every color" ;)

I worked in Orlando Fla on HWY 50 next to Massy Grindle Dodge and only remember one to ever hit the lot , it didnt sit but a few days before being sold and one other one traded in a few months later. Had a friend who worked in the body shop the and we would go out onthe lot after he got of work and look at all the Challenger and Chargers that sat on the lot.