#1 GoatGuy

GoatGuy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Ryberg

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

When did top fuel and funny car builders start using the Kobelco blower and carbon scoop? Would it have been used on a '98 top fuel car? I appreciate any info.

#2 Chi-Town Hustler

Chi-Town Hustler

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Full Name:Lee Hinton

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

I have a bunch of old Drag Racer magazines from the mid to late nineties and into the early 2000's....From what I can tell at least, the carbon scoops and larger blowers started appearing somewhere around the 98-99 seasons....By the early 2000's they were pretty much common place, at least in NHRA, not 100% sure about other sanctioning bodies....One mag from the '99 season shows a centerfold type, close-up pic of the top view of a TFX motor on Gary Scelzi's Winston top fueler and it's definitely a CF scoop and what I believe is a 14-71 blower wrapped in the ballistic bag....The mags from the 95,96 & 97 seasons look like everyone in fuel categories were still running the metal injector scoops....'98 season might be a bit early but I'm sure the CF scoops were at least in development at that point....Again, these are only my observations, maybe someone else on this forum can give an exact time frame??....Hope this helps!

Edited by Chi-Town Hustler, 24 October 2012 - 03:51 PM.

#3 1320wayne

1320wayne

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Stevens, JR.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:21 AM

98 was the transition year. I have documentation of Ron Capps Copenhagen funny car from 97 that was using the traditional blower hat and then again in 98 where the team had switched over to a carbon fiber hat.

#4 GoatGuy

GoatGuy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Ryberg

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

Thanks guys for the info. I appreciate it. I plan to build a Joe Amato Tenneco car using Slixx decals.