What Do You Think was the Worst Car Made?

• You cannot reply to this topic
128 replies to this topic

#41 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

Over the last 40 years I have worked in the automotive service and repair busness. I started, just out of school, at a multi line import dealer, where we would service any import that came in the door. Everything from late 50's Voxhalls to Ferraris came through, plus the FIATs, Triumphs, Alfa Romeos and Subarus that we sold new. This was in the early to mid 70's.
This was quite a shock to a kid who had grown up in a GM town where people expected cars to start and get to their destonation without the aid of a tow truck.
I soon learned about FIATs, as the young new kid I got to climb up on the transports to get the brand new "cars" (term used very loosly) running long enough to be unloaded, or to push them off to the more experanced mechanics. Those Yugos everyone badmouths? They are a FIAT design (FIAT 128) built under license!
Triumphs normaly went 18 to 24 months before returning home on a wrecker. Then they seemed to remain forever.
Alfas required constant "fideling" to keep them happy, A trate I found all Itialian cars to have, the more expencive (read Ferraris) the worse they were.
Subarus were good cars, even in the early days of imports to the USA.
As for the "off brands" that we didn't sell new but serviced, German cars from VW to Benz were great cars, only Audi ownership needed to be avoided.
NO ONE should ever own ANYTHING French, and I don't believe that the French should even be allowed to make cars.
The British were somewhat better, but were stuck with the Lucas electrics and severe oil leakage. I remember a TR 4 that came in with a timing chain so loose that it had sawed a slot in the timing cover. It was still running fine!
Having said that, the worse car I personaly owned was a TR 7, Yes, I should have followed my own advice. A Hyundai Elantra is a distant second. A Plymouth minivan third.

Edited by Craig Irwin, 27 October 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#42 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

I spent 25 years repairing cars for a living...my list is quite long. BUT- I have also seen Chevettes and K-Cars with over 200 000 of pure abuse still running reliably.

Anyone remember the Chevette Diesel?

My broher put over 250000 on a gas Chevette, my uncle got 500000 on a diesel (which used an Isuzu engine, BTW).

#43 SSNJim

SSNJim

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

Yugos seem to be a constant theme in this thread. Never had one, but heard all the jokes....

When the Yugo was introduced in the US in the mid 80s, there was a bit of excitement about them. The price was less than $4000, making it the cheapest car in the US and pretty economical. The next cheapest was the also newly introduced Hyundai (rhymes with Monday) Excel at about $5500. One of the radio stations in San Diego (maybe XTRA?) had a contest where the grand prize was a six-pack of Yugos. All you had to do was tell them what you would do with a six-pack of Yugos. I don't remember the winning entry, but the prize was awarded. She was happy to get them - this was all pre-reputation.

I found the article on the LA Times website:

November 25, 1987 | THOMAS K. ARNOLD
- Last week, one of the strangest promotions in local radio history came to an end when progressive rock station XTRA-FM (91X) awarded 22-year-old Sonia Rodriquez its "Yugo Six-Pack": six 1988 Yugo automobiles, valued at more than $24,000. As one of a half-dozen semi-finalists, Rodriquez chose the correct key to start a Yugo--and thus won all six cars--in a drawing held at the College-area Wherehouse Records store.

#44 uncle potts

uncle potts

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Full Name:paul cowell

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

Any dodge.

Careful.......

#45 Jim0205

Jim0205

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Full Name:Jim

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

Chrysler circa 1990 and up (last one owned was an 05) not sure of the build quality now but cheaply built cars with very weak power train and chronic repairs and reliability issues. My 05 sebring had a variety of issues that one should not expect from a car like the heater knob falling off in july, the dash lights work one day not the next, my favorite was the magic gas gauge fill the tank full then settle on empty then hours later rise to full and back around again. Not a sensor issue checked out fine, too many repairs to list.

#46 MachinistMark

MachinistMark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • Full Name:Mark fulmore

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

Any. Chrysler. Product. Ever.

#47 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,707 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

Ok... maybe you have some sort of personal bias against Chrysler, who knows... but to say that any Chrysler product ever is the worst car is just plain ridiculous. I doubt very much that you have personally driven every Chrysler product ever made and are in any position to hand down a verdict on every Chrysler product ever made.

That sort of comment can't possibly be taken seriously by anyone.

#48 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,707 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

Just to illustrate how silly your comment is...

Every car my dad ever owned, except for his very first car (a Ford Falcon) and his very last car before he died (a Ford Taurus) was a Chrysler product. Either a Dodge or a Plymouth (never an actual "Chrysler" model). That includes lots of Dodges and Plymouths.

My very first car was my dad's '67 Belvedere, which he gave to me when he bought a new Dodge. When I got that Belvedere it was 10 years old and had 100,000 miles on it. I drove it for another trouble-free 20,000 miles before I sold it (and it was still going strong when I sold it). That car was as solid as a rock and as reliable as the sun coming up every morning.

#49 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

I've heard it said that in case of a nuclear apocalypse the only things that can survive will be cockroaches and slant 6 Dusters.

#50 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

My one experience w/ owning a Chrysler product has been positive, my Jeep Grand Cherokee has gone 140k miles in the 12 years I've had it, with a few issues but overall fine. I'd consider another Chrysler product, I especially like the current Charger and 300, would also consider another GC.

My Dad had a '79 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4 that I learned to drive in...it had numb steering w/ no on-center feel and a tendency to stall on left turns (one experience which no doubt led to my phobia of left turns I've had for 25+ years).

Edited by Rob Hall, 27 October 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#51 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,981 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

This thread is very subjective, and everyone is going to have a different opinion on what cars were the worst ever built, kind of like butt holes, everyone has one :lol:

#52 greymack

greymack

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Full Name:George Mack

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

I think AMC vehicles were all bad with the countless engine issues.Something to keep in mind are the makes that are still around today.

#53 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas J. Winter

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

Bricklin SV-1, Enough said!

Nick

#54 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

Bricklin SV-1, Enough said!

Nick

Isn't that basically the same as saying Yugo? :D

#55 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas J. Winter

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

Same idea worse execution.

Nick

#56 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,981 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

ford tempo

#57 timc

timc

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Cassady

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

I've heard it said that in case of a nuclear apocalypse the only things that can survive will be cockroaches and slant 6 Dusters.

Don't Forget Keith Richards.

#58 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

I dunno. Nick. I've had the misfortune of actually having to work on a Yugo. At least some of the Bricklin was made with sevicable parts.

#59 sak

sak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Kovak

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

Worst carI have ever owned was 1982 Mustang. Terrible car.

#60 wrecker388

wrecker388

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Full Name:Riley Schultz

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

Just to illustrate how silly your comment is...

Every car my dad ever owned, except for his very first car (a Ford Falcon) and his very last car before he died (a Ford Taurus) was a Chrysler product. Either a Dodge or a Plymouth (never an actual "Chrysler" model). That includes lots of Dodges and Plymouths.

My very first car was my dad's '67 Belvedere, which he gave to me when he bought a new Dodge. When I got that Belvedere it was 10 years old and had 100,000 miles on it. I drove it for another trouble-free 20,000 miles before I sold it (and it was still going strong when I sold it). That car was as solid as a rock and as reliable as the sun coming up every morning.

I agree with Harry 100%. My dad has had MANY Chrysler vehicles over the years, and they were all better than the Pinto he had. His current work car is a 1990 Dodge Dynasty which has had been heavily abused , but it still manages to go every day.In my opinion,the worst car ever made is probably the Ford Pinto after what my dad told me about his.

Edited by wrecker388, 27 October 2012 - 05:29 PM.