• You cannot reply to this topic
59 replies to this topic

#21 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

No sir, you are wrong. I have looked inside my 49 Ford kit. NO metal front axle. 2 small plastic pins for the front. You can argue all day, I am right. Tomorrow I will post a pic.

Actually you're both correct, the older runs of both kits did indeed have the ole axle through the block, at some point AMT tooled up new blocks and the front suspension pins.

#22 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

I was thinking of the very wide whitewalls which are similar in width to what is shown on the box art above or what is shown on the new Revell '50 Olds box, where the white area extends from the rim to almost the tread. Not sure if those are called full or wide whitewalls, or something else.

Hopefully AMT includes a set of tires from that parts pack with this kit.

the ones on the box photo are the ones in the parts pack, they just look different due to the artistry.

#23 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

Here is the 49 Merc from 2002. Also, the 49 Ford has a seperate front suspension, no axle through the block. Not sure on the 50. I just looked at my 49 kit, so am right on that one. If anyone has a spare jack and tire iron from the 49 Merc, pm me.

that is the version that Michaels sold for $7.00 a kit, wish I had bought more than the one case.

#24 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

The original had black wall tires.I have it with the drag slicks I tried to paint back in the day. They finally dried about twenty years later. This is now fifty years later and they are very yellow (still in the box). Richard

No one told us about enamels not drying on those old vinyl tires back then, & I really don't think acrylic paints were around to alleviate the problem. I dug out an old '40 Ford I did when they first came out, & the whitewalls done in the old Testors/Pactra (I don't remember which), still are tacky to the touch & have that lovely old yellow patina to them.

Edited by horsepower, 02 November 2012 - 01:16 AM.

#25 dodgefever

dodgefever

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

Actually you're both correct, the older runs of both kits did indeed have the ole axle through the block, at some point AMT tooled up new blocks and the front suspension pins.

Thanks for the clarification, my newest one is probably nearly 20 years old. :)

#26 dodgefever

dodgefever

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

No one told us about enamels not drying on those old vinyl tires back then, & I really don't think acrylic paints were around to alleviate the problem. I dug out an old '40 Ford I did when they first came out, & the whitewalls done in the old Testors/Pactra (I don't remember which), still are tacky to the touch & have that lovely old yellow patina to them.

That's curious; I used to paint whitewalls with Humbrol matt white enamel and never had a problem with it drying. Must be different from the US paints.

#27 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,017 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:37 AM

Thank you for the clarifiction. I did not realize this, Stu, I apologize for getting testy.

#28 Bartster

Bartster

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Full Name:Bart E Deatherage

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:16 AM

The ones l had in the early-mid '70s had a green car with baby moons(?) on the cover, l believe?

#29 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

I have an OLDER issue of this Merc. It had No name skinny tires. The white side wall

was a Paper sticker. But more of a stripe than classic side wall.

#30 Rick R

Rick R

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Full Name:Rick Rothermel

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Recent announcements promise wide whites.

Consider that this kit tooling will soon be fifty years old, first announced in early 1963!

The original AMT engoneers were wizards!

#31 kitswapper

kitswapper

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Full Name:Jim White

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

I saw the kit today it has very nice white walls in it...

#32 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

That Merc is one of the few newly realeased and re-issued kits that I'll be getting as I don't have one in my stash and remember that kit very well.

#33 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,857 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

THe AMT 49 Merc NEVER had a steel axle thru the engine. It was ALWAYS released with STEERABLE front wheels since it's original intoduction. The 49 and 50 Fords had the thru the engine axles.

#34 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

Did this one have the Option??

I have to look. But I Know the 57 Fairlane 500 had the option of pins on the brake drums for

steerable front or the metal axle rod. they Included different brake drums for that.

I have the second issue/ new box art original and do have the instruction sheet.

Just need to dig it out to look

#35 azers

azers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Full Name:Joe l. Spitzer

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

Am I reading correctly that this rendition of this kit has tampo printed wide whites or are they decals to add. I have one of the last reissues and am thinking about getting this one.

#36 Hippie Dude

Hippie Dude

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Full Name:Tye Brown

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

Can someone post photos please man??

Peace

#37 larrygre

larrygre

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Full Name:Larry A. Greenberg

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

The kit has the wide whites as in the parts pack.  Also has the dual-carb manifold, beehive oil fiter, and finned heads tooled up by Ertl in the mid-90s.  Not bad at all.

#38 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,085 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

THe AMT 49 Merc NEVER had a steel axle thru the engine. It was ALWAYS released with STEERABLE front wheels since it's original intoduction. The 49 and 50 Fords had the thru the engine axles.

I think George is right- I've had several versions of all three kits over the years- the '49 Ford still had a metal front axle at least up to the 'Crusin' USA' issue, the '50 Ford still had one in the most recent reissue, but the Merc has always had a poseable setup with plastic kingpins up front. Oddly, even though the 1:1 cars were mechanically identical, all three kits were done from their own separate tooling.

#39 62rebel

62rebel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

picked up the latest retro reissue of this venerable old warhorse and was pleased to find it in crisp, white styrene and containing all of the recent parts that had been returned to the kit, as well as a new pair of chrome sprues with some custom pieces (crank, pair of pistons, a trophy, and a shifter) AND a nice set of fifties-era full wheel covers that i just don't recognize, although i'm sure they're representative of stock covers from a Chrysler or Cadillac, perhaps.

anybody have the low down on what they are supposed to be? 

BTW i'm digging the tampo-printed wide whites AMT has been adding to their lineup.

also, the enhanced decal sheet is a WELCOME change from those '90's era scallops!

even a sticker of the Kat hisself.....

#40 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

I picked up one of those Merc kits myself a week ago but have yet to open it as I only open about 30% of my kits. From what I hear, it is pretty close to the original issue in '63 except it was molded in grey plastic back then.