Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT & Revell Parts Packs Engines

Daf57

• 3 weeks later...

David,

With the parts pack Caddy, you have a choice of a Hydramatic or an in-out box. If you are doing a drag car, the in-out should fit with no or little problems; the Hydramatic may take some finagling to fit underneath the floor board. You'll also need to make a motor mount and check for clearance with the wire axle.

Bernard....cool recap.

FWIW, the 392 Hemi is rebopped in the Revell Miss Deal kit. It's identical as far as I can tell, except for the different exhaust headers, and the point that all the pieces are chromed in the Parts Pack version, vs. only those you'd actually want chromed in the Miss Deal kit.

I agree that the 327 Chevy Parts Pack is the hardest to find.

Also, I haven't read the entire thread so apologies in advance if I'm repeating something already said but many of Revell's full model kits of the early 60's contained engines that were designed in the same manner as their Parts Pack engines. I'm particularly fond of the Cadillac in the Outlaw kit (which is similar to the Parts Pack Cad but has different building options including the intake manifold/carb setup), the blown Olds in the Beatnik Bandit (some really cool parts on that one), and even the 409 Chevy optional engine in the original Revell '55 Chevy kit.

In any case, like others have said here, these Revell Parts Packs are cool engines, with excellent period-correct speed accessories, that are generally a fun and authentic build.

TIM

The 327 Chevy pack was pieced into the Revell '57 Chevy kit (the old opening-doors one, due to be reissued this year). If you have one, check out the tree with the unplated engine parts...you can see the "parts pack" style tree that surrounds the parts. Some parts inside the tree are deleted because they weren't needed on the Chevy, or were redundant to parts on the existing plated tree. I believe the switch was done around 1968, when other changes were made to the Chevy: different hood and trunk hinges, addition of the supercharger option (which was part of the parts pack), the drag front axle, and deletion of the roll bar and spare tire in favor of a molded plastic "tire cover".

Prior to the reissues, the 427 Ford was probably the toughest engine to find, as it was the last one released (in 1965, one of the last few packs released). The 327 Chevy might be a tough one, but I'd say that the Buick and the funky turbine are tough too. People still pay a decent chunk of change for the Chrysler, even though it is available in the Miss Deal kit.

The 327 Chevy pack was pieced into the Revell '57 Chevy kit (the old opening-doors one, due to be reissued this year). If you have one, check out the tree with the unplated engine parts...you can see the "parts pack" style tree that surrounds the parts. Some parts inside the tree are deleted because they weren't needed on the Chevy, or were redundant to parts on the existing plated tree. I believe the switch was done around 1968, when other changes were made to the Chevy: different hood and trunk hinges, addition of the supercharger option (which was part of the parts pack), the drag front axle, and deletion of the roll bar and spare tire in favor of a molded plastic "tire cover".

Prior to the reissues, the 427 Ford was probably the toughest engine to find, as it was the last one released (in 1965, one of the last few packs released). The 327 Chevy might be a tough one, but I'd say that the Buick and the funky turbine are tough too. People still pay a decent chunk of change for the Chrysler, even though it is available in the Miss Deal kit.

Just to confirm...everything Mark says here I agree with....TB

Here is the Ford motor I used a few years back, and I like the results. They can be "fiddly", but hey..sometimes that just is the way it works.

Mark...that looks very sharp. And here's how I used it on one of my projects...http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/from-the-pages-of-y/from-the-pages-of-m/ TIM

Edited by tim boyd

I'm surprised I haven't seen this thread before. I bought 4 of each of the re-makes many years ago and they have been sitting on a shelf ever since. Recently, I started pulling them out to build. The first, was the misnamed 354 Cadillac, which is really a .030" over 331 Caddy. Two transmissions, two intake systems and a REALLY neat little kit. I have nothing to put this is, because I just like building engines. I haven't wired this yet because I have too many projects on the bench right now, but it will be finished soon.

Hand-cut aluminum injector stacks, Altered States OE valve covers and a couple of other little adjustments round out a stock kit. Chrome stripped from everything and the resin valve covers were Alclad chromed. Nice little builds, for sure.

cadillac_331_005.jpg

Anyone have a nailhead they don't want? :)

I'm surprised I haven't seen this thread before. I bought 4 of each of the re-makes many years ago and they have been sitting on a shelf ever since. Recently, I started pulling them out to build. The first, was the misnamed 354 Cadillac, which is really a .030" over 331 Caddy. Two transmissions, two intake systems and a REALLY neat little kit. I have nothing to put this is, because I just like building engines. I haven't wired this yet because I have too many projects on the bench right now, but it will be finished soon.

Hand-cut aluminum injector stacks, Altered States OE valve covers and a couple of other little adjustments round out a stock kit. Chrome stripped from everything and the resin valve covers were Alclad chromed. Nice little builds, for sure.

cadillac_331_005.jpg

Anyone have a nailhead they don't want? :)

Sharp!!!! TB

I love all the parts paks/packs and have used them since forever. I have them being used in a couple of my projects right now.

Here is a question for someone who does as I do not have a '58 hemi one presently: Does the pak have the upper portion of the bell housing cast into the block like the 331 and 354 actually had? The 392 did not have that so that would show if it is indeed the same as the Miss Deal (which does have it).

happy modeling!

I love all the parts paks/packs and have used them since forever. I have them being used in a couple of my projects right now.

Here is a question for someone who does as I do not have a '58 hemi one presently: Does the pak have the upper portion of the bell housing cast into the block like the 331 and 354 actually had? The 392 did not have that so that would show if it is indeed the same as the Miss Deal (which does have it).

happy modeling!

Pat...the block castings are identical between the Parts Pack version and the Miss Deal version. And they both have the upper bellhousing as part of the castings. But to my understanding, only the real 331 Hemi had the integral bellhousing, it was removed for both the 354 and 392 Hemis that came later.

Best regards...TIM

Tim, I recall that article very well. Really liked that truck. Does it show my age too bad if i added "seems just like yesterday" ?LOL

Mark...not at all. I think I read somewhere a long time ago that every year you live seems to go by twice as fast as the year before, and with two months to go until I turn 60, that sure seems to be the case here.

Having said that, I sure don't feel anything like I'm 60 years old. Maybe model car building keeps us young at heart??? Best...>TIM

Mark...not at all. I think I read somewhere a long time ago that every year you live seems to go by twice as fast as the year before, and with two months to go until I turn 60, that sure seems to be the case here.

Having said that, I sure don't feel anything like I'm 60 years old. Maybe model car building keeps us young at heart??? Best...>TIM

Indeed! Plus, each day you live, is proportionally a smaller and smaller slice of your life, so that may be wife the time seems to go so fast! LOL

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

what is strange to me is that that corvette engine seems to have the same exhaust headers (eg: mooneyes staggered exhaust tips) as the 283 which was the basis for the mooneyes engine (potvin front mounted blower for one giveaway). in fact it kinda looks like either a lot of the parts were replicated between the two but the sprue was reconstructed with new parts. look at the fan for instance: four blade in one and five (or six? looks kinda funny) in the other. and of course different induction system. but same block parts, same transmission, same headers and same a lot of other parts. don't think I have ever seen that corvette motor parts pack before...along with the buick nailhead, lost in the mists of time.

the motorcycles in their various incarnations are bringing 50 to 100 on ebay with regularity...what is holding up the reissue besides some imagined "oh won't sell" when all indicators seem to show otherwise?

jb

The motorcycles that most want are the Harleys.....

I think Revell has doubts the price of the kit with the licensing fee would be too high for most hobbyists. The licensing fee would more than likely push the price to $12-15. It would sell to some diehards but most would pass.