• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Full Name:Joseph Osborn

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

Hello General Lee and Turbo Regal fans:

I have drawn my first wheel in 3D:
VectorWork6_zps6f5cba8a.jpg

It's a Vector wheel in 1:24 scale, patterned to fit my Eagle GT and Radial T/A tires that I've been making this year, as well as the GT Radial OWL tires from the Revellogram kits.

I can have this wheel printed in high quality but the cost is also quite high. I want the wheel for my '85 Grand National model so I'll bite the bullet and have it made for myself, but I'd like to sell a few sets to offset the printing cost. Only the master is 3D printed; the actual production pieces will be resin. This wheel would work great for anyone wanting to build a 1:24 General Lee and don't want to use the undersized wheels from 1:25 kits. In addition to the '85 Grand National, this wheel is also on '86 & '87 Buick Turbo Regals. Plus it's an all-around cool design.

If you'd be interested in a set of four accurate 1:24 resin Vector wheels, drop me a line.

Thanks,
Joseph

Edited by Chief Joseph, 06 April 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#2 1972 Satellite

1972 Satellite

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Full Name:Michael Schmauder

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

Make them and mark me down for a couple sets. Please.

#3 Lownslow

Lownslow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts
  • Full Name:Frank Rizzo

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

Hello General Lee and Turbo Regal fans:

I have drawn my first wheel in 3D:
Posted Image

It's a Vector wheel in 1:24 scale, patterned to fit my Eagle GT and Radial T/A tires that I've been making this year, as well as the GT Radial OWL tires from the Revellogram kits.

I can have this wheel printed in high quality but the cost is also quite high. I want the wheel for my '85 Grand National model so I'll bite the bullet and have it made for myself, but I'd like to sell a few sets to offset the printing cost. Only the master is 3D printed; the actual production pieces will be resin. This wheel would work great for anyone wanting to build a 1:24 General Lee and don't want to use the undersized wheels from 1:25 kits. In addition to the '85 Grand National, this wheel is also on '86 & '87 Buick Turbo Regals. Plus it's an all-around cool design.

If you'd be interested in a set of four accurate 1:24 resin Vector wheels, drop me a line.

Thanks,
Joseph

nice wheel i tried the bead once and it didnt fly with the printers i used most have a minimum wall thickness of 1mm

#4 Scuderia

Scuderia

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Full Name:Lawrence Greene

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

Yeah I PM'd chief earlier, i hope this gets off the ground!

#5 revshag

revshag

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Dunlap

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

On the 1st Unit (hero car) General Lee, they used 14x7 Vectors (running 235/70/R14 tires). The wheels found in the MPC/AMT/Ertl General Lee kits are closer to a 16" wheel in 1/25 scale. The other wheel often used for General Lee model builds are from the AMT Eckler Corvette kit. While it is better looking wheel compared to the GL kit wheel, it's more like a 15x8 or 15x8.5 wheel. Also, since the Revell 69 Charger kit is 1/25, I'd prefer to see something in that scale. Additionally, my vote would be for a 14x7 wheel.

Chris

#6 mopar01lee

mopar01lee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Full Name:Davin Blackburn

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

I definitely would want a set or 2.. I need em for my next more highly detailed general.. would love to see some for wider tires..

Later days davin

#7 brodie_83

brodie_83

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Full Name:Brodie Nyrud

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

Since I'm building an '85 GN as well, I'd be up for a set depending on how much they will be. Awaiting a price :)

#8 kevin

kevin

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Full Name:kevin lutz

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

i agree i would take a set or 2 if the price was right!

#9 chase-cars

chase-cars

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Full Name:Gareth Jones

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

You should be ok to get the parts printed even with thin wall sections, as long as it's not unsupported. So spoked wheels are out, but ribs on a wheel should be ok.

Here are the ones I got made, they're 1:32 scale so even finer detail. These are resin casts from a 3D printed master model, the same as you're doing
Posted Image

I also got these made, which are in 1:32 scale. Again, this photo is of the resin copies of 3D printed master parts
Posted Image

#10 Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

I don't think there are any 1/24th scale '69 Charger kits. They are all 1/25th

I think I was remembering a 1/24 diecast Charger that someone had converted to a General Lee when I wrote that. I'm still waiting for the printed wheel to arrive; it's coming from the other side of the planet so I have to be patient (boo). Once it's here I have to make sure it will fit my tires and I must also make a centerpiece and lug nuts for it.

#11 Patrick2005

Patrick2005

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Full Name:Patrick Myers

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:19 AM

I wouldn't mind a set or 2

#12 azers

azers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Full Name:Joe l. Spitzer

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

I would take a couple of sets as well.

#13 Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

I received the printed wheel today and the quality is breathtaking (to a model nerd like me, anyway):
Posted Image
Click the thumbnail to get a larger picture.

This is the wheel on a rubber version of my 1/24 Eagle GT. The next step is to make some lug nuts and a centerpiece for it.

#14 azers

azers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Full Name:Joe l. Spitzer

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

Wow looks good as is. Should have a few for people who don't want the lugnuts. Just a bare wheel. Ill take some when your done

#15 Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

Wow looks good as is. Should have a few for people who don't want the lugnuts. Just a bare wheel. Ill take some when your done

Thanks, Joe. The lugnuts and centerpiece will be separate cast pieces, so the wheel will be easier to paint. I'll let people decide for themselves if they want to drill a hole for a valve stem, too.

#16 Scuderia

Scuderia

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Full Name:Lawrence Greene

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

That looks mighty-fine. Can't wait

#17 Lownslow

Lownslow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts
  • Full Name:Frank Rizzo

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

I received the printed wheel today and the quality is breathtaking (to a model nerd like me, anyway):
Posted Image
Click the thumbnail to get a larger picture.

This is the wheel on a rubber version of my 1/24 Eagle GT. The next step is to make some lug nuts and a centerpiece for it.

man i wish i could find a place with a high res printer

#18 Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

Really nice Joseph! I've just taken my vectors off the market! :blink:/> One thing i've been wanting to ask though...and please don't take offense, but why such a big tag on the tires? I'm just very against waste and that seems like alot of resin that could go elsewhere.?

To get resin into the mold and air out of the mold. I want to get a perfect part every time to maximize the life of the mold. A little bit of extra resin is cheap compared to getting castings with air bubbles!

I was able to get the centercap made on my lathe this afternoon, so I'm just waiting on some hexagonal styrene rod to arrive so I can make the lug nuts.

#19 Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

man i wish i could find a place with a high res printer

Have you checked with www.moddler.com?

#20 Lownslow

Lownslow