Kits you'd like to see, but hey, you know they ruined the molds.

• You cannot reply to this topic
76 replies to this topic

#41 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

I have done this comparison. My findings were the two (LOL, one multi engined kit and the other a dual engined kit) engines were similar, however the valve covers were different and the blocks were different , in that one had a semblance of a transmission and the other didn't. Molding marks on the inside of the engines were also different as were the exhaust mountings on each. Photos? That would be great, however I have made a move to a new home and stuff is everywhere.

Thanks Greg for the info....TIM

PS - good luck with straightening out after the move. I did that a bunch of times earlier in my career and man I feel you pain, even to this day! TB

#42 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

35 years of putting kits away one at a time.

#43 darquewanderer

darquewanderer

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Full Name:James

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

Two of the designs were actually built as real cars: The Mercer-Cobra, coachbuilt by Ghia and the Bugatti 101C. Both cars still exist today, in the collection of General William Lyons USAF Ret. in California (I've seen both cars and they are stunning).

Art

Actually Art three of Exner's cars got built. The 1970s Stutz Bearcat II. http://darquewandere...set=72#/d261rqn

#44 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

I'd like to see a new '64 Galaxie- not a clone of the still available craftsman/promotional kit. The original kit had working headlights. It was one of the first kits that my Mom bought me.

#45 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

I remember that one. wonder if the light feature is still in the kit? It was just a hole in the grill section that held a bulb.

#46 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

Actually Art three of Exner's cars got built. The 1970s Stutz Bearcat II. http://darquewandere...set=72#/d261rqn

The Stutz revival car, while using much of the lines of the original Exner renderings, really isn't done exactly as Virgil Exner designed it though, due as much to its having been introduced several years after Virgil Exner Sr's death in the late 1960's (the pontoon shaped front fenders with 'bubbled" clear plastic headlight covers being the principal change--headlight covers were not allowed on US spec automobiles for many years). There was a fourth "Exneresque" revival car proposed for production, the 1966 Duesenberg from a new, startup company, The Duesenberg Corporation, which used a lot of Exner themes though. Just one prototype was built, on a Chrysler Imperial platform, bodywork again from Ghia--for showing to potential investors in the company, as well as to prospective buyers. The Duesenberg Corporation even enlisted Fritz Duesenberg, son of Augie Duesenberg--brother of the legendary Fred Duesenberg, himself the designer of the famed Duesenberg Model J of 1929-37. Fritz Duesenberg was made an honorary director of Duesenberg Corporation, but took no actual role in that company--he was in rather poor health, and by the early 1970's, was a resident of the Indiana Soldiers Home (now Indiana Veteran's Home) at West Lafayette IN, and passed away there in 1976, having been virtually an invalid ridden with arthritis for several years. This car never reached production, as not enough investor interest resulted in capital needed to start making them for sale. 1966 Duesenberg Model D:

Posted Image

This car still exists, on display at the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum in Auburn IN, resting there in company with several actual Duesenberg Model A's, a Model X, a Model Y, and a nice collection of Model J's.

Of the two exact copies of Exner's Revival Cars, the Mercer-Cobra, and the Bugatti Type 101C, the Bugatti comes forth as the only car ever built EXACTLY as Exner intended, given his ownership of one of three Type 101C rolling chassis, and was built to his instruction by Ghia for his personal use. The Mercer became the Mercer Cobra, built under commission for the American Brass and Copper Institute, a trade organization of companies producing brass, copper and bronze products, as a means of proposing to the auto industry the use of polished brass, copper and bronze trim on automobiles. As such, it was built on a stretched 289 Cobra chassis, but is probably a bit smaller than what Exner might have envisoned originally--but it sure does capture very well the concept as Exner intended.

I have a couple of each of those in my build pile still--one of these days!

Art

#47 my80malibu

my80malibu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • Full Name:Gabriel Soto

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

How about the uncertain T ?

#48 Gramps2u

Gramps2u

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Hitchcock

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

The AMT 1972 Chevrolet Chevelle SS & The AMT Kenworth W-925. The AMT Pinto mentioned earlier as well.

#49 Mark

Mark

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

I'd love to see this kit backdated, especially with the cut out Paris street scene. I doubt it will ever happen, but I'm sure a few Man from U.N.C.L.E. fans would be happy to see it return. Sadly, this eventually was modified into the "Piranha" dragster. :(/>

[attachment=26041:MLS97.JPG]

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. car (later issued as the Mademoiselle Secret Agent 97 without any alterations) and the Piranha were first issued around the same time. They didn't share a single part.

#50 Mark

Mark

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

I remember that one. wonder if the light feature is still in the kit? It was just a hole in the grill section that held a bulb.

The '64 Galaxie annual kit that had the working light feature is now the Modified Stocker kit. The curbside kit that Model King issued a few years back is the original 1964 promotional model, later issued as a Craftsman Series kit and as an Ertl Blueprinter mail-order item. Apparently AMT created two '64 Galaxie tools: one for promotional models, another for the kits. Some parts interchange between the two (which would make sense because AMT would have used one set of masters to create the two tools).

#51 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,900 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. car (later issued as the Mademoiselle Secret Agent 97 without any alterations) and the Piranha were first issued around the same time. They didn't share a single part.

You're right. I was thinking of the "double" Piranha kit:

Posted Image

#52 38 Crush

38 Crush

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Full Name:Harold

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

I'm diffinetly on board with the Uncertain T. Love that kit. There are some rumers about it but nothing solid.

#53 JohnU

JohnU

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Full Name:John Urminski

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

The AMT 1972 Chevrolet Chevelle SS & The AMT Kenworth W-925. The AMT Pinto mentioned earlier as well.

For me specificly the 1972 Chevelle Red Alert  Amt Kit# T550!

#54 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

Did something happen to this kit ? ChevroletRedAlertRacingTeam-vi.jpg

redalert.JPG

#55 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

Yea, no kidding on Red Alert. 

#56 Mark

Mark

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

Did something happen to this kit ? ChevroletRedAlertRacingTeam-vi.jpg

redalert.JPG

The Chevelle was backdated by Ertl to the 1970 (which actually makes it more accurate as the Red Alert because the 1:1 car was a 1970). It was later reissued as a '72 again, but the '72 bumpers were newly tooled and weren't as good as the originals. Most of the optional parts have been changed, and the cut line on the underside of the hood has been eliminated too.

#57 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:12 AM

I've never seen the '70 AMT version. Do you have any pictures?

http://www.chevyhard...hevelle-ss-454/

RedAlert_5.jpg

#58 bigphoto

bigphoto

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

How about the 1/43 AMT kits other than a select few that showde up in the 90's not a peep of them.

#59 Mark

Mark

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

I've never seen the '70 AMT version. Do you have any pictures?
http://www.chevyhard...hevelle-ss-454/

RedAlert_5.jpg

There was never an AMT issue of the Red Alert in 1970 trim. The Red Alert kit was first issued around 1973. I believe the Red Alert was unchanged parts-wise from the '72 annual kit. The Red Alert was one of those AMT kits that you saw on the shelf in every K-Mart store in the country. The box art was retained through the late Seventies. The '72 was backdated to the '70 many years after the Red Alert last appeared. When that was done, most of the optional parts from the Red Alert were replaced with different parts. There is only one 1:1 car, the '70.

#60 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

I'm confused. What do you mean "The Chevelle was "backdated" to the 1970." "There was never an AMT issue of the Red Alert in 1970 trim. " ? You seem to be talking about two different things here. :huh: :blink: