Model Cars Magazine Forum

pesky model paints!

Hopefully this is in the right place, -Ikm sure I'm def not alone on this problem I have.

- I have quite a variety of jar paints little 1.5 oz I believe are the small ones and I've got some larger ones(model master)

How do folks keep there paints from seperating?? - I go without useing paints for awile and come back after absence from them and the pain has seperated from the 1)oil and 2) water. I do prefer the water based paints simply because its water washup for the brushes, but I do have a lot of enamel paints too where the oils? Seperate from the color/ paint

This is so annoying all that vigorous shaking and sometimes iyt seems like the paint is never right again? Do I need to physically stir?(Keep. A full box of toothpicks on hand). Rotate my bottles every so often?

Any help on this matter would be great

Ya know..sometimes, even new paints need to be stirred a lot.

I use those little flat wood stirrers. Break them in half, you don't need a long stirrer. Sometimes must add a bit of thinner also.

Don't be concerned if they separate in the bottle.

I lost interest a while back (2-3 years ago) but am back into it now that I retired. I have paints that are years old and they still work fine. Like you said though, a bit of stirring is required.

Good luck.

I use a Badger battery operated stirring stick. It's works very well.

I agree with Jim

21Ws4-oWJiL._SX355_.jpg

This is the one you want & you should be able to pick one up at your lhs for less than $12.00. Also, IMNSHO, it's a much better product than the one Micro-Mark sells.

I found something that works great too looks almost like that badger tool except casing is orange and the tool is up/down(like a sawzall) motion insted of rotation(its a batt operated pumpkin carver tool)

It was so cheap it couldn't cut pumpkins very well(at all for that matter) seems to jossles up and mix my paint great though!

Normally I avoid wood for stir.

Wood absobs moisture then transfer to your paint.

In small quantities you can't notice, but if you store your paint for some after stirring with wood it may turn into a blob, specially if done in high humidity conditions.

So why run risk, use metal for stirring.

Cheers.