#1 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

I mean besides model builders and artists. My vocation for 30 years was a construction equipment mechanic. I longed to be a guitarist, but couldnt cut it. I found out by accident that I was a drummer. A roomate set up his drums, and in a few weeks I was as good as he was after his years of playing. So I am curious, was there anything that you guys just sort of fell into and found you were pretty good at it?

#2 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

restoring promo cars if there not too badly damaged I can make them like new again...problem is I like it....LOL...

#3 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Body work. My uncle taught me at a young age and I loved it. Don't do as much as I like.

#4 BKcustoms

BKcustoms

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Kaune

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

I had a day off school a few years back and for whatever reason I ended up going to work with my dad that day (He does body and paint work for a restoration/hot rod shop) and after hanging around and learning the trade I've been hired full time during the summer and part time during the school year working there. I guess you could say I kinda "fell" into getting my dream job since it pretty much happened by chance.

Edited by BKcustoms, 25 November 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#5 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

I'm another body and paint guy, I've been at it for 40 years now. It was a good profesion untill the insurance guys ruined it. Like the OP, I tried to play guitar for years before trying a Harmonica. I was a natural and did quite well with it. I still play open mic nights and set in with some local bands.

#6 Simpleman

Simpleman

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Full Name:James StJohn

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

I was in the automotive business for more than forty years mostly in the body end but learned to do it all ( body,mechanical and upholstery ). Heart and cancer has left me disabled for the last year or so and when I fell up to it I still try to do a few models , most restoring older kits or special builds . My wife and I also owned a body shop and car lot but the body work was my love.

#7 Tom Setzer

Tom Setzer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Full Name:Thomas J.C. Setzer

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

I really loved the military, but after 4 Purple Hearts, I was put on full Medical Retirement! I'm also a Historian,and write Articals on Ancient Military History! For 40 years I built Hot Rods and Street Rods, until my health wouldn't let me!

Edited by Tom Setzer, 25 November 2012 - 04:17 PM.

#8 slantasaurus

slantasaurus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Wagonrod

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

You are what you is.....

#9 signguy2108

signguy2108

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Full Name:Larry Haney

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

In high school, I was known as "the artist". Spent much of my time drawing pics for everybody. With a good set of brushes and several cans of one shot enamel, turned it into a pretty sucsessful sign business. Drove a truck hauling lumber by day, doing signs & truck lettering nights & weekends. Got out of trucking, bought an auto body sho ,and spent 20 years breathing who knows what. Now after 2 heart surgeries, back surgery, and a pacemaker, I'm back to building models! AND found out last wednsday that I probably will not be around to write something like this this time next year.....IF I had only gone to college in the first place...

Edited by signguy2108, 25 November 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#10 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

Tile, all kinds of tile, floor, wall, you name it. Bathrooms, tubs, kitchens, I can do it all. Trouble is I just never gave up the cop career to make a go at tile.

G

#11 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,252 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

I guess I am a DeeJay, kind of followed the lines of my dad and brother, although I never was a on air DJ, I have had a mobile disc jockey business going for three years now

#12 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Croft

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

I am a meat popcicle.

#13 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

I'm a frustrated singer. I love to sing at church, and people ask me regularly why I'm not in the choir (I work evenings, so I can't make it to rehearsals on Thursday night). Whenever I can, I like to sing karaoke, everything from hard classic rock ("Born To Be Wild), to the oldies (anything by Roy Orbison), and I like to challenge myself with the hard ones - Things like "Kara Mia", "The Wicked Game", and "Tuesday Afternoon". I once sang the National Anthem at a minor-league baseball game.

#14 Pumba

Pumba

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Full Name:Sean Michael Beggs

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

i have been a furniture builder, and a manager for a games workshop here in aus, but i will shortly be planting a new christian church. just to be different. lol

#15 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,844 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:55 PM

I am a cabinetry/furniture finisher. I also run sound on a volunteer basis at my church.

#16 58 Impala

58 Impala

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

Spent 10 yrs in the AF as a aircraft corrosion/painter and just recently got laid off after 27 yrs working for an AF contractor as a paint/bodyman. Breathed more than enough paint fumes in my life, I'm looking to do something else. The only paint fumes I want to be around now involve painting plastic.

#17 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,317 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

So I am curious, was there anything that you guys just sort of fell into and found you were pretty good at it?

Marksmanship.
I entered the police academy at age 20 never having fired a handgun. After two weeks of training I qualified best in the class, with a perfect score (pistols only, the 12 gauge is an enigma to me) on qualification day.
Years later, I met my father-in-law, a big hunter. He took me to an outdoor range and I shot a tighter group than he did (I'd never fired a hunting rifle) and he's been hunting for 40 years. He was both happy and pissed.
Throughout 14 years of military service I never qualified less than expert with anything, except the 12 gauge. While stationed on board ship, I was the only crew member that was not a gunners mate that was authorized by command to instruct in marksmanship.
I can't really explain it, but for some reason putting holes in things from a distance, just came naturally. I'm a fair hand with a bow as well.

#18 Patrick2005

Patrick2005

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Full Name:Patrick Myers

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:03 AM

I'm pretty good at car stereo installations. Basic head units, mid-range speakers, amplifiers, subwoofers what have you. And I'm pretty good at tuning them to sound the best.

#19 James2

James2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Full Name:JamesRiesII

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:07 AM

I would tell you, but then I'd have to kill you!

#20 LDO

LDO

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:41 AM

Plumber. My advice if you have a plumbing problem: call a plumber. :-P