#21 ffreak

ffreak

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Full Name:Danny Edwards

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

So you don't accept what the Tamiya company has said directly?

I don't know how to be any clearer. I have read in the past that they said the same thing about the other colors at one time. That turned out to be false. So I have hopes it will be back someday. Bottom line, it's that simple !!

#22 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

I don't know how to be any clearer. I have read in the past that they said the same thing about the other colors at one time. That turned out to be false. So I have hopes it will be back someday. Bottom line, it's that simple !!

You have to remember what "Discontinued" means at Tamiya. If you click the word you get this FAQ

Q. Why do you show discontinued items?
A. Not only can you find some of these items in stores, but parts are available for most of them. Discontinued only means we currently do not stock them, they may be re-released at some point as well.

So maybe it'll be back, maybe not...in the mean time there are only about a dozen other clears one could use.

#23 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,436 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

I am going to buy a can of Mr Hobby clear, I have heard some good things about it

Let me add one more thing, I am not claiming to be in know, but when I checked the Tamiya website, it shows it discontinued for the US, but if go to the EU part of the map, and then click the UK part, it shows its still in production, but that was I believe from the distributor and not Tamiya

So I think its safe to say, that its been discontinued for the US

Can you be a little bit more clear?

:P

#24 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,101 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

Posted Image Danno Posted Image

#25 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts
  • Full Name:Brett Jermaine Jackie Tito Marlon Michael Barrow

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

I work for one of the major hobby distributors, TS-13 is, indeed, discontinued in the US. For whatever reason it didn't make it through the last round of re-labeling and re-testing that the Tamiya Sprays went through earlier this year. There were a couple colors, too (NATO Black being one). I don't know what exactly was wrong with them this time, but until they're reformulated they're not available from Tamiya America If your LHS has an overseas source, they'll be able to get them, but expect prices to be higher than normal.

Alternatives I'd recommend trying would be Testor's One Coat Wet Look Clear or U-Pol Clear (available on-line). They both have similar characteristics to TS-13.

#26 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,436 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

I work for one of the major hobby distributors, TS-13 is, indeed, discontinued in the US. For whatever reason it didn't make it through the last round of re-labeling and re-testing that the Tamiya Sprays went through earlier this year. There were a couple colors, too (NATO Black being one). I don't know what exactly was wrong with them this time, but until they're reformulated they're not available from Tamiya America If your LHS has an overseas source, they'll be able to get them, but expect prices to be higher than normal.

Alternatives I'd recommend trying would be Testor's One Coat Wet Look Clear or U-Pol Clear (available on-line). They both have similar characteristics to TS-13.

That's pretty clear.

:(

#27 Exotics_Builder

Exotics_Builder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Full Name:Gerry Paquette

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

I've switched over to the Testor's One Coat Wet Look Clear where I am using Tamiya or Testor Lacquers. I don't even decant for air brushing. There is a technique for agitating that reduces the chance of bubbling when it sprays. I place it in the dehydrator for a several minutes prior to spraying (This seems to work better than warm water bath), I then roll it between my palms to agitate, first noozle up then noozle down.

It does spray more than Tamiya, but does polish out well. It has yet to attack decals (even thin ones) and does go over Bare Metal Foil as well. I may try a decant to the airbrush one of these days, but I have other clears I can use instead.

#28 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

Thanx for the info Brett. That was pretty much what I had heard about it. Oh well, time to make a switch I guess. No way I'm willing to pay $8-$10 a can for it. Especially when I can get a can of Plasti Kote or Dupli Color with triple the amount for the same price.

#29 VW Dave

VW Dave

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Full Name:Vee Doubleyou Dave

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

The owner of my LHS confirmed that TS-13 is NLA.....honestly, in the meantime I've become a bigger fan of Testors One-Coat 'Wet Look Clear' anyway.

#30 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

For several years I used TS13 but I've switched over entirely to Testors One Coat Wet Look Clear. It's simply a superior product. IT doesn't pull base coats away from edges like TS13, and as others above have noted, it rubs out incredibly well, even for paint schemes with quite a bit of orange peel. At least for me, it is also more consistent in turning out flawless clearcoat finishes.

From my pov, there's no need to try any other options out there, If you like TS13 but can no longer find it, I bet you'll like Wet Look Clear just as well or even better.

TIM

#31 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,436 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

For several years I used TS13 but I've switched over entirely to Testors One Coat Wet Look Clear. It's simply a superior product. IT doesn't pull base coats away from edges like TS13, and as others above have noted, it rubs out incredibly well, even for paint schemes with quite a bit of orange peel. At least for me, it is also more consistent in turning out flawless clearcoat finishes.

From my pov, there's no need to try any other options out there, If you like TS13 but can no longer find it, I bet you'll like Wet Look Clear just as well or even better.

TIM

Ditto!

B)

#32 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,101 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

I am happy I never used it :lol: , saves me from having to find other clear coats to use ;)

I have been using Duplicolor clear coat, I really like Model Master Ultra clear, and the one coat clear, I am going to Mr Hobby clear next and see how that works

#33 Dave

Dave

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Sciano

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

I don't mind the clear missing as much as I do the NATO Black, That was a favorite of mine.

#34 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts
  • Full Name:Brett Jermaine Jackie Tito Marlon Michael Barrow

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:15 AM

There were 4 paints that didn't make it though the process - TS-13, TS-63 NATO Black, TS-80 Flat Clear, and TS-82 Rubber Black (which would have been a logical replacement for NATO Black). Again, I don't know the reasons why they were dropped, but that is the situation at this time. I agree that not having a "scale" black lacquer in a spray is a bit of a bummer, I like using as many black shades as I can on chassis. (Chassies? Chasseeses? "Chassis" as the plural never looks right to me... :-))

#35 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:52 AM

I've been using the UPOL brand that I am pretty sure is a urethane (gold can ) for the past several cars and I really like it. I've used it over various bases colors from Testor enamels to Duplicolor laquers and over Decals fro slixx and several others, never had a problem yet (I have maybe 12 or so bodies painted this past summer for winter projects) most recent one is my 1961 Dodge which is . 2 coats Duplicolor white with 2 light coats UPol clear .

I stopped using testors clear enamel due to yellowing that comes later on. And I've never tried the Tamaya brand before due to availability locally.