#1 tjones87

tjones87

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Jones

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

I have been looking all over and cant find the right cowl hood for a 70-73 Camaro. I have found the right scoop in resin and was just wondering how I would go about attaching it to the stock kit hood? If its possible? Any and all help is appreciated. thanks

this is the type of hood I am wanting, but no one seems to make them....

Posted Image

#2 BKcustoms

BKcustoms

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Kaune

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

Super glue or 2 part epoxy will work, just make sure to scuff the bonding area if you use epoxy so it sticks better.

#3 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

I use 5-minute epoxy for a lot of things such as the clear glass, photoetched parts, metal guitar string for antennas and "pinning" small parts such as sideview mirrors, and I would use it also to glue a resin scoop on a styrene hood. It seems to work for me over the years.

#4 tjones87

tjones87

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

ok thanks for the help..I have located a styrene scoop similar to this, that I might can make work...if so i will just go that way....but never know, may end up having to pick the resin scoop up.....

Also, not sure where to ask this, but if I got the hood to look right, would there be a caster out there that would be interested in making these? I know this is a popular hood to use for a street car, not everyone likes the outlaw hoods lol....thanks

#5 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

Tim, you should be able to just use the scoop from any of the Revell '69 Camaros. That's what I always use when I want a scoop like that. I agree with you about the outlaw hood scoops. I don't like any of them.

#6 tjones87

tjones87

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

Tim, you should be able to just use the scoop from any of the Revell '69 Camaros. That's what I always use when I want a scoop like that. I agree with you about the outlaw hood scoops. I don't like any of them.

Yeah I was thinking about that as well...but trying to find someone willing to let a hood go without the rest of the kit lol....I found 2 styrene scoops i am going to get and see what I can come up with

#7 Markemmonsracing

Markemmonsracing

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • Full Name:Steven emmons

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

There was a place on eBay and several other sights that had a cowl hood for the kit ur using

#8 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,629 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

If you end up doing the resin scoop, I'd be wary of using 5-minute epoxy under finish bodywork. It has almost no strength and I really wouldn't trust it under filler, primer and show-paint. It's asking for disappointment. It's great for the other things High octane mentions.

#9 tjones87

tjones87

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

There was a place on eBay and several other sights that had a cowl hood for the kit ur using

Yeah but they are the Outlaw hoods...don't want anything that tall...IMHO it looks like BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH when people put htose tall hoods on a plain street car. Just looking for a factory type cowl hood... 2 3/4" is what the one pictured is.

If you end up doing the resin scoop, I'd be wary of using 5-minute epoxy under finish bodywork. It has almost no strength and I really wouldn't trust it under filler, primer and show-paint. It's asking for disappointment. It's great for the other things High octane mentions.

Yeah I have heard that also...although I am not too worried about the finish being show quality...but I have found some styrene scoops I will try and use first. thanks