Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 ENTEX LOTUS F1

• 3 weeks later...

I love the Lotus 72D. I built the Tamiya 1/12 kit back around 1978, but time took its toll on it. So, over the past 10+ years I gathered up 4 of the 1/8 72D kits and some extra parts to boot. It is one of the cars I truly hope to get time to build someday...in several versions. I did experiment on the rear wing with those old decals. I trimmed as much of the yellowing extra film off as I could, then laid the stripes down and used a mild clearcoat over it. It's ok, but not as good as I want for sure. I'm going to try the Future "under and over" method next to see if that will preserve them and let them lay down flat. I also had the 1/8 McLaren, but I got a really good offer and let it go for....nah, I don't even want to tell yoouo how much.

Actually, I saw the JPS race at Caesar's Palace Grand Prix in the mid-late '70's I am pretty sure. The markings are unmistakeable, and I think it was before the next model they raced. I checked google to refresh my memory and it says the CPGP was 1981-82, with Andretti running a Lola-Cosworth, but I'm pretty sure his was not the JPS. In fact, a Utube video says he was driving an Alfa, but that's not what the records say. I guess it was Nigel Mansell driving the JPS car. Anyway, the thing I remember most about the whole race was the shrill scream of the cars was completely drowned out by the outrageously loud speakers above us in the stands..and the constant chattering of the announcer. It was pretty horrible.

Edited by deja-view

I think I was afraid of damaging the tires.

I believe that I built this at least a couple of decades ago (wow..that sounds like a long time ago..LOL).

Next time I get it out of the display case I will give it a try. If I ever actually show it I will certainly work on that.

I have the technology and courage now.

Thanks for looking and for the comments.

Edited by DavidChampagne

I think I was afraid of damaging the tires.

I believe that I built this at least a couple of decades ago (wow..that sounds like a long time ago..LOL).

Next time I get it out of the display case I will give it a try. If I ever actually show it I will certainly work on that.

I have the technology and courage now.

Thanks for looking and for the comments.

There you go. Live and learn and improve, that's the way to do it! B)